Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any European VPS for VPN only?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any European VPS for VPN only?

sandrosandro Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hello,
I was wondering if you knew a provider that offers a VERY cheap VPS to use as VPN only. I suppose 32MB of RAM should be enough to run OpenVPN only right?
I want a location as close as possible to Italy. Space is not important. BW 3GB/m is more than enough!

I'm scared to say a price cause I bet the cost of an IP for the provider won't make it possible ... but hey I tried :)

Comments

• If you want one close to italy, try prometeus :P

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

We have our 64mb / 128mb openvz plans which are running out fast. UK based and lots of people use them for VPN.

• Also check our budget VPS plans (UK, USA and DE VPS locations):

https://www.qhoster.com/clients/cart.php?gid=9

• I was looking for something much more cheaper. Shouldn't the low BW make it around €5/y?

• wow 5 Euros/yr. that's not cheap, that's dirty cheap VPS :)

• @sandro do you work? How much do you make per hour?

• I knew it would come down to this :) I said that price because Prometues offers that plan (out of stock) for the same price but with a lot of features I don't need.

• @sandro said: Shouldn't the low BW make it around €5/y?

No since most IPs are already 1€/month.

• @sandro prometeus used to offer it when RIPE still had IPs to allocate to LIRs and they (prometeus) needed to build brand name recognition by attracting a lot of clients. Now that's no longer the case - RIPE's out IPs and prometeus is already a well known and established brand in the VPS business. And on top of that - they only have 4864 IPs from RIPE and get at most 1024 more from RIPE, and thats all - forever. Do you think they would offer these 5E / Year plans again soon?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@rds100 said: Do you think they would offer these 5E / Year plans again soon?

Hey, it's LEB/LET. We see mircales every here and now no matter what majority says and think :)

@gsrdgrdghd said: No since most IPs are already 1€/month.

"Most" isn't LEB rule ;-) I am pretty sure that LEB didn't say last word yet.

Anyway, op just asked. No harm done. And as much as I know this community someone will sooner or later appear with another "no way, that's not possible" deal which will actually work. That's how most lowendbox STARS are born.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: No since most IPs are already 1€/month.

RIPE's fee is 1800 EUR / Year now. So let's say 150 EUR / month. As you can see for providers who already have IPs the cost per IP is not that big. The problem is not the cost, the problem is that it is a limited / finite resource and you can't get much more. That's what drives the value of IPs up.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Do you think they would offer these 5E / Year plans again soon?

The smallest plan we are selling now is the VZ1 (192MB of ram) for €15 / year.

Consider it a fat LEB :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@rds100 said: @sandro prometeus used to offer it when RIPE still had IPs to allocate to LIRs and they (prometeus) needed to build brand name recognition by attracting a lot of clients

Not really, uncle made a joke with free something and then had to make up the mind for what that free can be.
    We came up with that plan, which gave for free quite a few.
    However, ppl wanted to pay for it, so we had to make up a price.
    At that time supplemental IPs were free more or less for LIR members.
    We never intended to put up tons of those, at least Uncle didnt want, I asked to make more and he did, right now we still offer them for current customers that have a reasonable need for one.
    We offer IPs for 12 Eur a year, selling VPS for half of that when they came with IP included, it is simply nuts...
    I personally intend to get out an IPv6 offer only for something like VPNs, put up tutorials to convert from ipv6 to ipv4 and the other way around, besides the storage plans (which, btw, are already up and running in the full version patched and updated for prices like 2-3 cents a GB for Xen).
    Those are nice and good intentions, but had some problems lately and also wish to launch a cloud offer in a few weeks, so that must wait a bit.

Prometeus didnt launch that offer to build a brand, it is an old company with many years of service (tho not for the low end market), we did offer many small plans, but they were abused, people were running desktops with firefox and flash in 128 and even 50 mb to run youtube fake viewers, this is why we only offer those to known customers that have a valid reason for having them and are unlikely to abuse them.
    Most other hosts would have not allowed that or even allowed, wouldnt have worked, but we didnt chase them away even so, the ones which didnt cancel (some used promos like first month half even for those and considered the full Eur as too expensive, you know...) are still on and doing their gray area "business".

Prometeus DOES offer those still, some ppl here know, if they request one will receive it, we only dont give them out just like that to everyone. Since we lose money on most, we reserve the right to choose the owners :)
    It is valid only for customers in good standing, serious people.

• Hey, i didn't mean to say anything bad for prometeus :) I enjoy my VPS there and would recommend @prometeus to anyone who asks :)
    I was just explaining to this guy why what he asks for doesn't make much sense for the majority of the providers to offer.

I know, however, i heard that many times and I reply tickets about it. I hope that a longer explanation here with most data I can think of would be of use so people will understand our position.
    In US this is maybe possible, but in EU the IP price will make it impossible, even if people have tons of IPs.

• How much are IPv6 instead?

• @sandro said: How much are IPv6 instead?

By default RIPE gives /32 IPv6 to each LIR which asks for it (can give up to /29, no questions asked).
    /32 IPv6 is about 4 billion /64s or 79228162514264337593543950336 individual ipv6 addresses. I'll let you calculate the price yourself :)

edited December 2012

IPv6 are free. we give /64 for our storage plans in addition to the control IP.
    IPv6 can autoconfigure themselves, no fancy routing, but need /64 for that.
    Since each small provider has the same number of /64 that ipv4 can exist in total, anything other than free will be robbery.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique said: Prometeus didnt launch that offer to build a brand, it is an old company with many years of service (tho not for the low end market)

No? :) Who do you think you're fooling? :)
    I thought that IperWeb was new brand of Prometeus and they launched here and there some great deal to build this brand and give it global recognition. I mean it's not like anyone (including you) before knew or talk about IperWeb or even Prometeus. Old company or not, they did exactly this.. With appearance here (and WHT) with great deals and special promotions they successfully built (in past two years or less) globally recognized brand.
    (It's nothing wrong with that, I just correcting you)

• @rds100 said: The problem is not the cost, the problem is that it is a limited / finite resource and you can't get much more

/22 per LIR, means 1024 IPs - 1,75EUR / IP / year.
    Company A Ltd, Company B Ltd, Company C Ltd.... etc. - 25GBP each / y in UK ;-)

Granted not fair, nor cheap, but works.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

For many OLD companies which appeared at LEB in last few years we mostly don't know what they were doing before. Most of them offered some kind of hosting service obviously and some of them may be big in local area but globally they didn't mean a lot. With appearance at LEB and WHT (which is or atleast was de facto standard in hosting industry past 10 years - like it or not) they got global recognition and massively increased international sales.
    It's nothing wrong with that, rather opposite, without LEB and WHT many people would never heard for today great popular hosting names as Frantech, Edis and.. Prometeus. Some of those stars was globally born exactly here. At LEB/LET and then word spreaded.

And to stay with topic.
    Crazy promotions/too good to be true deals which actually work - we saw this before and we will see it again. And that's why I see op request reasonable. Someone will do it again sooner or later and survive disregarding global IPv4 crisis.

@Spirit said: I thought that IperWeb was new brand of Prometeus

Wrong, Iperweb is an old brand.
    Indeed, was not an open international company, even tho initially was international, but then concentrated on very high end, high throughput services for italian media and the international exposure lowered a lot. With better connections around the world now and a lot of spare BW and space, it seemed just a good move.
    I was trying to show that those deals are still active, they were not just put out of stock because they did their job, are not deleted in the offer, just not open to just anyone anymore, experience and changing of the IPv4 situation forced that.

@Spirit said: Crazy promotions/too good to be true deals which actually work - we saw this before and we will see it again. And that's why I see op request reasonable. Someone will do it again sooner or later and survive disregarding global IPv4 crisis.

yes, I'm sure this will happen, at least in the 2013 as IPv4 status is not yet catastrofic :)

Regarding IperWeb it was the brand we used to sell hosting in the late '90 and as Iperweb LLC it was incorporated in Lewes, Delaware, US and registered as a not resident alien company with IRS (in Philadelphia if I remember well) to get an EIN. For the period I think it was a succesfully business, with a bit less than 10K domains hosted, 3 locations in us and 1 in eu. Most of the sales were from resellers. Good old time :P
    You are right however, we are like every other newcomer now...

• @prometeus where can i find the 15euro/year offer?

@norg said: where can i find the 15euro/year offer?

VZ1

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=12