Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leasing IPv4, with personal and cheap price.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leasing IPv4, with personal and cheap price.

As i posted in lET before, didn't get my final answer from people,i would like to ask again today.

I'm personal want to lease IP for vps and web hosting, i can pay monthly or yearly.

i need cheap price. thanks.

Comments

• that could be one ,what else do you recommend?

Thanked by 1nikhil500
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
  • dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

Nyr said: Expensive.

So what is your criterion? $7 per /24?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2015

dearroy said: So what is your criterion? $7 per /24?

Certainly not $128 for ARIN at this time. Specially considering who is the seller and what kind of guarantees can you expect from him.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited November 2015

Jack said:

Out of stock. But they still have ARIN IPv6 /48s at $35/yr, which is something I ought to be considering.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2015

singsing said: But they still have ARIN IPv6 /48s at $35/yr, which is something I ought to be considering.

You can get these for free from http://ip6.im
    Though $35/yr is not a big deal.

• rds100 said: You can get these for free from http://ip6.im

Though $35/yr is not a big deal.

Aware, but those are RIPE, not ARIN.

It has come up in other threads that you're technically not allowed to announce RIPE IP space outside RIPE zone unless you are based in RIPE zone.

So, for announcing the same /48 across multiple regions (typical anycast), one must have space from one's own region (which is ARIN in my case).

Still, I'm of a mind to wait until someone is actually penalized in some way for mis-announcing RIPE space before shelling out more cash ;)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2015

For anycast you need to announce the IP space from your own AS. How you connect this AS to the internet after that should be only your concern. I don't think RIPE would mind if you use it for anycast. And i assume you would have at least one Europe location for your anycast setup, so RIPE shouldn't complain.

So see where you can get an AS from - RIPE or ARIN, and get the address space from the same region.

• rds100 said: So see where you can get an AS from - RIPE or ARIN, and get the address space from the same region.

Well, here's William's explanation anyway, which is the best we've got to go on short of actually having boring conversations with RIPE:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1351544/#Comment_1351544

• By the way if you are worried about being outside EU and using RIPE resources - registering a company in UK is easy and cheap, or so i've heard :)

edited November 2015

rds100 said: By the way if you are worried about being outside EU and using RIPE resources - registering a company in UK is easy and cheap, or so i've heard :)

Registration may be cheap, but you have to maintain a virtual office (at least mail forwarding). That probably makes it a bit more expensive a solution than leasing ARIN /48s.

Thanked by 2rds100 classy
  • singsing said: Registration may be cheap, but you have to maintain a virtual office (at least mail forwarding). That probably makes it a bit more expensive a solution than leasing ARIN /48s.

Not really, Companiesmadesimple offers the entire package for like 70EUR/yr.

With v6 PA it also does not matter in the end, i maintain around 80% per /32 inside RIPE and allocate the other 20% to outside RIPE - If that ratio falls i switch to the next /32 and done. Don't expect problems with that, also due to the sheer size of a /29+ netblock (in /48s).

edited November 2015

I wonder if anyone has considered the anti-trust implications of these policies.

What all these RIRs are doing here is essentially dividing the market to control prices.

While I haven't looked at this angle carefully enough to decide if it is technically illegal, it certainly rails against the principles.

Editing to add: It appears that the anti-trust angle is certainly not a new idea, ARIN was sued in 2006 on anti-trust grounds for refusing to transfer space between parties without imposting their usual restrictions (but the case was dismissed due to a technicality, and so does not inform about the legal situation).

https://www.nanog.org/mailinglist/mailarchives/old_archive/2006-09/threads.html#00113

What's interesting from the discussion is the steadfast belief from the a lot of the pro-ARIN crowd that simply stating that something is not property makes it not be property. I wonder if they believe that, for example, if you sell someone a dog, but you make a contract for the sale in which you clearly identify the dog but state that it is a cat, a court would have to accept that it is, in fact, a cat for the purposes of any arising disputes ...

• singsing said: I wonder if anyone has considered the anti-trust implications of these policies.

Against semi-government owned (and/or government sponsored/financed/supported) institutions that by sole definition cannot really be further split up without causing other issues (like what countries NIR gets how much % of IP space, we see how great that worked out for APNIC and CNNIC with like a /4)?

• William said: Against semi-government owned (and/or government sponsored/financed/supported) institutions

Here in U.S., we strongly believe that even the government must obey the laws of the land (even if that does not always work in practice).

William said: that by sole definition cannot really be further split up without causing other issues

In this case, I'd settle for the existing RIRs cutting out the anti-competitive practice of market division. It'd be enough to let us announce IP space from any RIR from anywhere. 3-4 competitors is enough -- I am confident that the free market will do the job once anti-competitive practices are halted ;)

• I don't know about the other RIRs, but RIPE is a non-profit organization. They do not sell anything. The IPs do not belong to you, they do not belong to RIPE either. There is no "market" so there is no need to "compete".

• rds100 said: They do not sell anything

From what i heard they also don't pay "much" to staff (but still good for NL/AMS/qualification) which is uncommon in the other RIRs (except APNIC) which pay rather high and i suspect a job there depends more on contacts than on qualification+education. Office in AMS not cheap though.

RIPE still is imo the best RIR, tools are (mostly) working, the LIR portal offers nice features that are mostly useful and the bs spending is kept rather low as well (like atlas probes) - APNIC second, then all others by varying degree of shitness.

• rds100 said: RIPE is a non-profit organization

This means nothing with respect to most legal provisions. There are certain tax advantages to being non-profit, but that's all.

rds100 said: They do not sell anything. The IPs do not belong to you, they do not belong to RIPE either.

Sure they sell something (otherwise, why do they have some of my money? I'm not a very charitable person). They're selling their stamp of approval (via publicly-accessible database entries indicating that the IP space has been "properly" allocated to you). Undeniably, they sell this stamp of approval, regardless to whom the IP space may ultimately "belong", if anyone.

• singsing said: This means nothing with respect to most legal provisions. There are certain tax advantages to being non-profit, but that's all.

While not exempted from NL/EU laws RIPE does have excellent contacts by now, not so much influence but at least enough to get gov to check legal issues very thoroughly.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@singsing they don't sell you anything.

You pay for the privilege to be the member of the organisation. As a member you also have voting rights. It's not a 'company'.

• Clouvider said: they don't sell you anything.

You pay for the privilege to be the member of the organisation.

Well, that may be part of it, but you're not getting an IPv6 /29 from RIPE without first paying for the privilege of being a member ...

• Yes, you are paying a membership fee, but the fee is currently the same for all members. Doesn't matter if they got millions of IPs from RIPE, or just a mere /22.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

@singsing said:
    Well, that may be part of it, but you're not getting an IPv6 /29 from RIPE without first paying for the privilege of being a member ...

You may also be a member and not take any.
    You may also get a /27 if you can prove the need.

If you are a member, you have a voting rights and you can put a proposal to change the charging scheme.

• my server colocation in quadranet datacenter and i think ARIN is not a problem,
    i used to order ip from the datacenter, but they offer to less.