Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it good idea to run different servers on multiple VPSes? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it good idea to run different servers on multiple VPSes?

2»

Comments

• sdotsensdotsen Member
    edited December 2012

I know Linode offers private networking between nodes, but I'm not sure if the nodes have to be on the same host. I'm having a hard time tracking down VPS providers who can offer this. I'm going to be moving away from Linode due to their cost and my option right now seems to be Tektonic.

It wouldn't matter unless you have redundant web and DB servers because if one goes down, you're down. Ideally you would want the web to reside on a different host from where your DB node is, but if it's mission critical, you'd want to explore multiple web and/or DB nodes.

• I guess you're right.

• Any good provider should be able to provider VLAN between your nodes.

Ask @Francisco if BuyVM offers that to customers? Know they offer that for the MySQL backend they sell.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Any good provider should be able to provider VLAN between your nodes.

Ask @Francisco if BuyVM offers that to customers? Know they offer that for the MySQL backend they sell.

Solus only supports VLAN's on their XEN/KVM stuff.

Stallion supports it properly on OpenVZ. Now, by properly I don't mean we just bind a 172.16.x.x to their VM and it's done. It properly handles traffic accounting for such IP's and doesn't bill it against their account.

We have multiple people that buy our storage plans and SSHFS/FTPFS it to an OVZ.

Francisco

• So yes, BuyVM does it :)

Can't wait to see new disk offerings in Vegas @Francisco.

• Put your web server on a VPS in New Zealand, and put your MYSQL server on a VPS in Iceland.

:D