Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.tk domains, WTF? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.tk domains, WTF?

2»

Comments

• For me .tk is alright depending on the purpose. I just use it for practice sites for my non-techy friend, who I teach wordpress and stuff.

• @pubcrawler said: Google has waaayyyy too much random discretionary power. Search should be open sourced and ran as a non profit entity without all the manipulation. Just imagine if we had all this foolishness years age in the card catalog or in the Yellow Pages.

I agree, it's stupid Google can do anything it wants. After all, they are the only search engine, and you can't even browse the internet without using Google.

• Well in all fairness, Google isn't the only search engine, but I challenge you to try to not use Google or not have Google use you --- in all ways. (I am a big fan of DuckDuckGo BTW).

It's impossible. I know I've been trying for eons.

Tried Chromium out recently and that keeps pinging Google, asking if I want to back my data up to Google's servers. Just imagine if Microsoft did that with IE eons ago?

Google spy elements all over the damn place. All platforms, websites everywhere, etc. I have extensive block lists for Google and still adding more to get them out of here.

• Please, leave to some third world country if you can't accept reality.

@pubcrawler said: Search should be open sourced and ran as a non profit entity without all the manipulation.

This is the part when I gave up reading it, in case you want to take notes.

• I live in a proud future 3rd world country, the United States. :)

Accept and reality, is that a psychology class?

Sad but true Mr. Google along with most major players is more interested in indexing everything about you and gathering data intelligence than any other thing. People will see implications soon enough.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2012

@MannDude said: I've never visited a site worth knowing about that was a .tk site.

So you're not a TCL/TK-developer ;-)

@MannDude said: Google stopped indexing .TK domains

You mean they stop indexing a TLD they're using themselves?

I guess most people ranting here about the .tk-domain are simply not using the Internet for a very long time. Back in the days, when there was only Internic, .tk and .cc were the only cheap and freely TLD able for registration without much hassle. Most private sites were then using the .tk/.cc-TLDs. Today, since everybody can Register a TLD and we've the flood of different TLDs this is of couse somehow forgotten. Nevertheless, both countries finance their public Services with the sales of the Domains, and in the case of .tk, they hope to gain public notice. So why bother?

@RobertJFClarke said: I would stay away from .tk domains, $10/year for a .com is worth it just to have more control over the domain

So how is registering a paid .tk-domain different from registering a paid .com-domain? Nobody is forced to use the free .tk-domain.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited December 2012

Well,it happend with few of my domains as well, That's why its advisable to pay and use standard extensions.

They dont even inform you, they just del. it. Heard/ read/ seen similar cases of others as well.

@Jono20201 said: I think you have to actually use them within 48 hours, or was that co.cc?

@jcaleb said: You need to have a working website within 24 hours I think. Otherwise they will cancel it.

I don't agree! My old exp.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2012

@MikeIn said: Well,it happend with few of my domains as well, That's why its advisable to pay and use standard extensions.

They won't delete a Domain if your use the paid one. The free domain is just like all free stuff: it comes with no obligation for the user and the provider.

• @japon said: They won't delete a Domain if your use the paid one. The free domain is just like all free stuff: it comes with no obligation for the user and the provider.

@japon

Ya! I know!
    Why use a .tk and pay for it, if you are ready to pay use some more standard option, unless its meaning full.

But, I should agree, its great for starters.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Zetta said: Please, leave to some third world country if you can't accept reality.

@pubcrawler said: Search should be open sourced and ran as a non profit entity without all the manipulation.

This is the part when I gave up reading it, in case you want to take notes.

Oh great, the usual "you can't complain because it's reality, go move elsewhere" routine. Because that attitude has surely improved the world.

• :) @joepie91, I grew up in a major old industrial city where we sent our young men to die in wars and those that made it home toiled in coal mines and died making poisonous metals. It was literally hell with the lid ripped off.

After the outsourcing and offshoring of metals started in the 1960's (went mainly to Asia), the population started migrating elsewhere. The bitter left behind locals were notorious for telling you basically, "If you don't like it, move". Sometimes they could be mighty ugly in that process.

So more and more people moved. Eventually it became a near ghost town. The air was cleaner, the water was no longer orange, but the poverty and lack of IQ was clear. Those left behind lingered into basically a stagnant in denial mess. Helpless, impoverished and out of style like a 1970's leisure suit.

Now, today back there the spirit continues of if your don't like it leave, but with far less fire and emphasis.

People view Google and their ilk like some sort of national pride item or the nation of the internet. History will be told and Google will be shown for being the biggest destroyer of men and industry. For those slow to realize, I refer you to that long winded slow route of my old home town :)

• .tk sucks

Their machine runs like so:

They give you a "free domain", and then when your DNS queries reach a certain number, they suspend your domain for "unspecified reasons" and then make you pay twice the price of .com to have the domain re-enabled.

Don't use .tk for anything that isn't disposable.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@pubcrawler said: :) @joepie91, I grew up in a major old industrial city where we sent our young men to die in wars and those that made it home toiled in coal mines and died making poisonous metals. It was literally hell with the lid ripped off.

After the outsourcing and offshoring of metals started in the 1960's (went mainly to Asia), the population started migrating elsewhere. The bitter left behind locals were notorious for telling you basically, "If you don't like it, move". Sometimes they could be mighty ugly in that process.

So more and more people moved. Eventually it became a near ghost town. The air was cleaner, the water was no longer orange, but the poverty and lack of IQ was clear. Those left behind lingered into basically a stagnant in denial mess. Helpless, impoverished and out of style like a 1970's leisure suit.

Now, today back there the spirit continues of if your don't like it leave, but with far less fire and emphasis.

People view Google and their ilk like some sort of national pride item or the nation of the internet. History will be told and Google will be shown for being the biggest destroyer of men and industry. For those slow to realize, I refer you to that long winded slow route of my old home town :)

I need a Thank button. Right now. @Chief, give me a Thank button.

• @John_R said: .tk sucks

Their machine runs like so:

They give you a "free domain", and then when your DNS queries reach a certain number, they suspend your domain for "unspecified reasons" and then make you pay twice the price of .com to have the domain re-enabled.

Don't use .tk for anything that isn't disposable.

@John_R

A thanks button here as well, And +1
    100 % agreed, except I think the price (If we exclude .com promos).
    But its still a waste|