Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET, what do you guys think of the current CMS' in general? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET, what do you guys think of the current CMS' in general?

2»

Comments

• jhjh Member
    edited November 2015

I agree with @joepie91 that it lowers the barrier to entry too much in some cases. Having zero technical knowledge and relying it on entirely is a disaster waiting to happen. I saw a thread on another forum about this and the decision to use it was actively supported by pretty much everyone except me, knowing nothing about the site and nothing about WP.

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/wordpress-yay-or-nay.347465/

I really can't stand "weak knowledge, strong opinion" types..

• iskandarrezaiskandarreza Member
    edited November 2015

@singsing said:
    Yes, those are popular in Malaysia.

In Malaysia it's because the design houses have invested heavily in themes and plugins development. A popular plugin, JomSocial developed here and "jom" is a Malay slang for "let's go!"

What annoys me about the Joomla sites here is that government websites predominantly use Joomla and the developer that created it almost always ignore core updates. So many sites I've penetrated because some bug from typically a year ago remains unpatched.

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited November 2015

I don't use a cms I write my own jquery+html5+css3 with various plugins

• I think CMS is not a one-man show, it is designed for the content producer to quickly produce well-formatted content without much knowledge of HTML, LaTEX, MathJax etc.

In our company, we use WordPress, but deeply customized to fit our need.

Thanked by 1iskandarreza
  • Regarding scalability of flatfile CMS.

raindog308 said: Why so?

I'm just a little fish so perhaps I overestimate the needs of other people here, but I think of a very large file as causing delays. If one adds a MB or three a day for a year I think it could be a problem, but I could be completely wrong about that.

• With SSD /SSD cached technology, access to flat file based are much faster. It also depends on the CMS algorithm in accessing the data from the disk, whether the CMS uses caching and the system using gz compresion.

Here is a good one for you https://www.htmly.com or http://www.mini-print.com

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • What is the best candidate CMS that you think its more efficient in file management (categorized file catalogue with brief description)?

• @bersy said:
    What is the best candidate CMS that you think its more efficient in file management (categorized file catalogue with brief description)?

For that kinda work I like Redmine.

• @iskandarreza said:
    For that kinda work I like Redmine.

Isn't Redmine a PM tool?

• In the beginning... pages were relatively static (Apache SSI includes were fancy).

Along came ASP/PHP and database driven sites. Templates were typically blocks of HTML you would sprintf

Along came WP/Drupal. The barrier to entry massively dropped because little expertise was required to get a site online. Their extesnibility and all the plugins helped it do everything it originaly couldnt. Of course, we know that some technical nous is required, to keep things secure and hopefully, things like information architecture are not an after thought.

I imagine in the near future, the extensibility will be scaled back a little, perhaps at the moment too much trust is given to third party plugins.

Personally, I'm fine with taking a Bootstrap template, UI & display issues taken care of and working from there, but am aware 99% of people 'web developing' actually don't have a clue about most technologies they use.

• Back then the simple and popular ones are among others content injector, Cute News, then the concept was adopted by sNews.

Mambo was the hotshot, until they have internal disagreement concerning the license, then new branches appeared like Limbo -> Gladius -> Lanius on the text based and Joomla on the MySQL side. The templates were interchangeable and it was almost become the standard that day.

Block templating system with many features was popularized by PHPNuke, xoops, Phortix, MiniPhortail, etc, PHPNuke was the most branched at that time.

In the world of phyton, we have Zope based CMS like Plone, and followed by many Django and ruby framework CMS.

In the world of Perl we have slashdot, Bricolage, webgui, HTML-Mason, and many more.

There are also good scripts provided by many programmers enabling us to build our own CMS like TBS (Tiny But Strong), STADTAUS, phpconcept, etc.

Nowadays people are more interested in the widespread instant 5 minutes install applications, which is good for the end users and designer alike, and many applications are designed to develop recurring income by subscription, or providing plugins capable applications that enable other developers to build and sell their plugins.

It's good to know and test many kinds of application if you are a kind of DIY guy like me, but for simplicity, looks, and security, please hire a good apps developer, a good web designer, and a good sysadmin :)

Thanked by 1joepie91