Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linksys wrt54gl router with flashed DD-WRT [VPN setup]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linksys wrt54gl router with flashed DD-WRT [VPN setup]

RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Hello guys. Somebody asked me how to connect that router to VPN, however I don't have it at home to experiment(nor I am familliar with DD-WRT), so decided to ask you. Anybody has it or knows anything about it?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ddwrt, for that router, has pptp irc

• Cyber ghost have a guide to install VPN (their services) which you can use to install. DDWRT features vary depending on router model and firmware.

• Dont use DirtyDirtyWRT. The clean way: OpenWRT

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited October 2015

@bryce said:
    Dont use DirtyDirtyWRT. The clean way: OpenWRT

Openwrt is not supoorted officially, you need to de elete things from the image, and will suffer from ram. Try to stick to the older releases.

Edit: or get e $15 router and enjoy it

• In what way is dd-wrt officially supported? The builds for most routers are absolutely buggy and pose a risk in production. What do you mean by "suffer from ram"?
    And what is this about delete things from the image? You either install stuff on top or just build your own image.

• DD-WRT has openvpn builds as well.

• CPU is on the low side, it can work but he probably won't max out his internet connection.

You can check: https://blog.ipredator.se/howto/openwrt/configuring-openvpn-on-openwrt.html

@bryce said:
    In what way is dd-wrt officially supported? The builds for most routers are absolutely buggy and pose a risk in production. What do you mean by "suffer from ram"?
    And what is this about delete things from the image? You either install stuff on top or just build your own image.

1. I mean, OpenWRT new builds will not work on this router because it only has 16MB RAM.
    2. When I say delete from the image, I really mean to build your own image with some default packages deleted.

And still, running wifi on new builds will result in OOM errors. You need to build from an old build.