Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rent to own servers... Who offers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rent to own servers... Who offers?

2»

Comments

• Good way to get old hardware in productive use @sean. I have a pile of those servers sitting next to me under the workbench :) You should promote these elsewhere, perhaps at a lower price.

I can't use that since relatively high for what it is and disk is less than my audio player :) We run TB drives, typically dual 1TB due to disk prices still being artificially high.

@qps, will message you. Seen your offers on WHT for plain dedicated servers.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

The problem with rent-to-own is that you generally won't be able to upgrade the box between the contract start and end, so you're stuck with the same hardware for 1-2 years.

• That's a valid point also @RobertJFClarke.

Often the upgrades they offer might not be exactly what you want either. Like we tend to mix SSDs in with our servers and lots of places still don't have available or available for lots of $$ or brands we aren't so fond of.

• @pubcrawler said: I can't use that since relatively high for what it is and disk is less than my audio player :) We run TB drives, typically dual 1TB due to disk prices still being artificially high.

Well I have loads of new, cheap 1TB WD Blacks that I could do on RTO. I would pass these on at cost price with the server too.

• Be careful that your not RTO servers which are past their natural life cycles. For example, Dual L5410 systems will be TIRED, thats 2007-2008 technology, which means the servers could already have 5 years into them.

• The "natural life cycle" @mikehighend is an odd perspective issue. Dealt with brand new pricey leasing for years. Found it to ho-hum with cutting edge anything on the server side. Not as if the new stuff suddenly is so much faster or has much if any great new features. It tends to be just a money waster.

With older gear CPU's ran really hot, like most notably the earlier Opterons. Heat fatigue is a legitimate issue and annoyance - like dealing with dissecting CPU and applying new thermal paste where the paste has heat migrated and has bad connectivity. There is also the issue of high RPM fans and their necessity in such systems. But, I still run those and they've made their money many times over. Fine for most things, except CPU worshipping audience and those with false gear penis syndrome.

The L5420's I use more and more. Have for several years. Don't see them being non relevant for a number of years, unless we go to el cheapo many many cores and much higher CPU speeds in same power envelope of a system. Which is unlikely any time real soon. Remote chance though :)

I'm glad to take perfectly fine L5420's 8 core systems all day for $50-100 :) Who wants to sell some?