Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with Cpanel backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with Cpanel backup

click4easyclick4easy Member
edited October 2015 in Help

Hello.
I have a cpanel/shared hosting account that needs to be backed up nightly to an offshore vps. And, if my host goes down, i simply want to change my nameservers to point to that vps. How can i achieve this? Please help.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments

• angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
    edited October 2015

@click4easy said:
    And, if my host goes down, i simply want to change my nameservers to point to that vps.

Simply sending your cPanel backup files to another server won't do. You'd need both servers to basically be an exact copy of each other if that makes sense.

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • Maybe it will be easier for you to create at leat the database and export/import it first.
    Than you copy and transfer the site.

I think you will have difficulties to migrate the EMAIL data.

If both were CPANEL, it could be like you imagined.

It is not the case.

Good luck!

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • You cannot automate cPanel backups without root/WHM access. Some providers may use R1Soft which may allow this, but restoring someplace else, again, without root/WHM access, you will not be able to do this.

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You can run application on different different server like mysql on remote server. Currently cPanel is working on developing a cluster server which can take long time.

If your 1st VPS goes down and you change nameserver then it can take up to 24 to 72 hours in propagation.

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • DewlanceVPS said: You can run application on different different server like mysql on remote server

Thank you so much. I really like the idea, but how do i do this? Is there any script i can run?

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2015

@click4easy said:

Just setup mySQL on the other server and then point your applications to use that server.
    Of course if that goes down your webserver can't speak to the MySQL to run the queries. So some may consider this an additional point of failure.

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • @wych said:
    Of course if that goes down your webserver can't speak to the MySQL to run the queries. So some may consider this an additional point of failure.

Thank you.