Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HudsonValleyHost review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HudsonValleyHost review

hawchawc Moderator, LIR

ColoCrossing/HudsonValleyHost review
I read a lot of hate towards CC/HVH due to their involvement with GVH V1, V2, V3, V4 and so on. I was initially very sceptical and concerned about this.

I will admit, I did rush my decision to order from them. I had just had my server wiped by my old provider, and was running everything from my screaming, crying OVH server. I have had a lot of bad experiences with US providers, and thus I didn’t have my hopes very high at all.

I contacted HVH on the afternoon of August the 20th (and have just renewed and entered my 3rd month with them). Under half an hour later I get an email to say that a sales agent is looking at my ticket, and then an hour later I get an offer from @Ernie
• E3-1240v3
• 32GB RAM
• 1TB HDD
• 240GB SSD
• 5 IPs
• 1Gbps Port
• DRAC With Virtual Media access
• 10TB BW
• $75/mo
And so, for the next few hours, I fire questions to Ernie and he fires responses back to me. Unfortunately, I wasn’t fully ready to order at that point. I ask Ernie to wait. He was very willing to wait for me, and said for me to order when I was ready.

Sure, a few days later I reply back and say that I am ready to order. He comes back under 10 minutes later and we fire more messages back and forwards, with me signing up on their portal. I did have an issue here, with their platform failing to accept my UK HSBC Visa Debit. Eventually I resort to using shudders PayPal. At this point, it is 5PM in the evening over in Buffalo and its late at night here in the UK. I was really surprised at this response time, and I am very happy that I found a datacentre that replies this late, and even has the “Operations Manager” respond to me.

I then get an email at around 6PM Buffalo time from Ernie, and he wanted to know what OS I wanted installed and on which disk I wanted it installed. This was on the 21st August (a Friday night too!). I didn’t expect anything until Monday at the earliest, but sure, as I was sitting down for lunch on the Sunday, I get a ping and see that there is an email to say that it has been delivered. At this point, I am incredibly happy, as

a) I had something to do on Sunday evening
b) I got my server!

I then had to leave the server for a few days as I had a few personal issues to sort out. On the evening of the 26th August, I sat down to sort out ProxMox and start running my VM’s. I hit a snag in that I had made quite a few mistakes in my network configuration. I reach out to Peter in technical support (another awesome guy). I then watch him on KVM, as he logs into the server, and immediately goes for the /etc/network/interfaces file, and then with the speed of a ninja, he sees my mistakes and fixes them. He even taught me how to identify which is the live NIC in a server – so thanks Peter. He also went into detail about what I had done wrong.

All was fine for a month and a bit. Every other night or so I pull VM backups from that server, across to my server at OVH in GRA. Normally these take a couple of hours to run as the VMs aren’t small. One day, I noticed a backup had been running for going on 6 hours. I took a more detailed look and to my horror, the network speed had slowed to a crawl. Sure enough, I then logged on to LET, and I saw the news that CC had added Telia in Buffalo. I joined the crowd of people who were moaning, and I also ticketed. I was told that the issue should be resolved in 48 hours, but sadly 48 hours later, the network speed was still as slow (100 Kbps to OVH).

The network sorted itself out a few hours later and since then I have had no issues with the server and it has been fantastic for my use.

I do read that the CC Buffalo network “isn’t the best”, but I have to disagree with that. 100ms from my home connection (Virgin Media in North London), and 90ms from my OVH server. This is fantastic for me as that server runs a set of gameservers, and so latency is a big thing for me. This is the reason that I wasn’t that worried during the bandwidth issues, as latency wasn’t affected. Downloading from the server, to my OVH server regularly exceed 500Mbps, and downloads on my home line (152 Mbps down) usually hit upwards of 60Mbps.

Overall, I fully recommend HudsonValleyHost. Very fast support. I will be sure to return to them if I need any more servers.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Just this morning I marked all emails from HVH as spam. Marketing emails are fine but they were getting way to frequent.

Thanked by 3arpanjot WHT 4n0nx
  • hvh are cool, buffalo sucks

• HVH is even better before they got taken over. The key person, Ernie, as I might remember was very supportive, polite and thrive to solve the problem when they arrive.

I might guess that the hardest part for Ernie was the high cost and very strict upstream provider, that eventually gave up the majority ownership of HVH.

I might be wrong, but I know a man is a good man, aside of his surroundings.

• Do you get daily or hourly mails of new offers?

• @GM2015 said:
    Do you get daily or hourly mails of new offers?

My last sales email was "HVH Labor Day Sale"

• That was almost 2 months ago. Maybe it's just CVPS that's colocrossing's spammy brand and since it's known as a spammy "brand", they probably don't care about it.

linuxthefish said: My last sales email was "HVH Labor Day Sale"

• LeeLee Veteran

linuxthefish said: My last sales email was "HVH Labor Day Sale"

There was one this morning about rent to own servers, the can be more frequent than weekly, but not any more for me.

• I unsubbed to the emails because there was so much.

• How are you going to satisfy your thirst for low end servers then?

CC must be great marketers to survive for so long without lawsuits with so much alleged spam. Wonder how they don't get sued and all that when there are plenty of examples of spam complaints from their puppet brands.

Or just did nobody take the legal way yet? Opening theads is easier.

Nekki said: I unsubbed to the emails because there was so much.

• well, even i get their mails (a couple in a month or so), so I wont call them spammy.

• LeeLee Veteran

Junkless said: well, even i get their mails (a couple in a month or so), so I wont call them spammy.

Must be other factors then, if it was a couple in a month I would not be fussed.

Thanked by 1Radi
  • ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@hawc thank you for the review. We try very hard to please our customers.

• @Lee said:
    Must be other factors then, if it was a couple in a month I would not be fussed.

There you go, I was wrong, apparently. Still not spammy enough, I would say.

http://prntscr.com/8vy4e9

• LeeLee Veteran

Junkless said: Still not spammy enough, I would say.

It is for me and that is all that matters, to me.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Lee said:
    It is for me and that is all that matters, to me.

To each, his/her own, buddy.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Personally I get emails every few days from companies like Newegg, Royal Caribbean, Sears, etc. I would say every 3 days on average per company.

By comparison we're 2-3 per month. Sometimes less often. Only 1 in May for example.

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: like Newegg

Newegg have something worthwhile to tell me about every few days, hosting companies do not.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: Newegg have something worthwhile to tell me about every few days, hosting companies do not.

Doh! :(

• @jbiloh said:
    Doh! :(

Please make an offer thread for your hosting company, this will be great