Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone in San Francisco
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone in San Francisco

28Tom28Tom Member

Just bought a server off ebay and need it in LA seller is being stubborn and wont box it. Is anyone nearby able to box it and ship it? If so please PM me

Comments

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Is, this, as in, for free? In that case, I live in Alaska ...

For money, would probably do it for $100 plus actual shipping costs (to be paid in BTC in advance of any work; no liability for damages in shipping; no extended warranty).

• @singsing said:
    Is, this, as in, for free? In that case, I live in Alaska ...

For money, would probably do it for $100 plus actual shipping costs (to be paid in BTC in advance of any work; no liability for damages in shipping; no extended warranty).

Id be willing to pay up to around $50-75 for someone to do this and shipping charges. I can arrange shipping if you wish

• 28Tom said: Id be willing to pay up to around $50-75 for someone to do this and shipping charges. I can arrange shipping if you wish

PM me approximate address, might be able to help you for $75 depending.

• Anyone else while im waiting for the address

• WHTWHT Member

Why cant the seller send it to you? This stinks on carding to me.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

singsing said: PM me approximate address, might be able to help you for $75 depending.

San Francisco is in Alaska? * confused *

Edit: nevermind, I think I see what you were saying (although still confused since not like you have to help just because you're in SF lol)

• WHT said: Why cant the seller send it to you?

It's not so easy to find the right packaging for a server. It is, after all, expensive delicate equipment. I can sympathize with an eBay seller who only offers local pick-up for a server. I only offered because I have some packaging material saved from my own order of a chassis.

• Maybe someone off here (obviously due diligence required):
    https://www.taskrabbit.com/locations/la-oc

• Another option - have the seller take it to a UPS shop and ask them to pack it. They'll charge for it but the liability is then UPS's.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MarkTurner said: They'll charge for it but the liability is then UPS's.

Tsk, tsk ... of course that's not how it works. If they really paid out when your stuff got damaged, it'd be the easiest scam in the world to ship a server with UPS and claim it got busted in transport.

I'm guessing they pay out only very few of the damage claims they receive.

• There was a seinfeld episode about that. Kramer talks Jerry into insuring a broken stereo and mailing it. Then Newman catches on and they investigate Jerry for mail fraud.

• singsing said: I'm guessing they pay out only very few of the damage claims they receive.

I've had UPS package up a few items for shipment and of course they don't guarantee that the goods inside will work, but they do guarantee that the goods will physically survive transit ie no dents or bent mountings. As to whether the disks have taken a 100G hit or the CPUs have popped from their sockets thats not their concern.

Thanked by 2netomx 4n0nx
  • MarkTurner said: I've had UPS package up a few items for shipment ... whether the disks have taken a 100G hit or the CPUs have popped from their sockets thats not their concern.

So basically, their liability is limited to "crushed by forklift" or similar incidents.

• Got a postcode. Awaiting full address later today. If anyone is able to do this please let me know. Dont know what your going on about carding or mail fraud but all i want is the server in LA from SFO

• singsing said: Tsk, tsk ... of course that's not how it works. If they really paid out when your stuff got damaged, it'd be the easiest scam in the world to ship a server with UPS and claim it got busted in transport.

oh god that, i had a damaged server before which was originally packaged by the manufacturer (and already shipped by GLS to me) and they got it wet and apparently ran over it with something heavy, it was insured for full amount - Board dead, case damaged, HDDs not to be trusted anymore, you think they paid? Hell no.