Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion for new category: Bounty
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion for new category: Bounty

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2012 in General

What's everyone's take on having a Bounty category.

This thread: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6676/prevent-new-order-if-outstanding-invoice#Item_32 made me consider it.

Could work out well for some of the dev's here.

e.g.

Platform: WHMCS
Feature: blah blah module for xyz
Initial bounty: $50

Others can pledge money to the bounty and others can take on the work.

Just a fleeting thought, dont picture flame me. :)

Anthony.

Comments

• I could have this within an hour hopefully! Let me give it a try.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Spencer said: I could have this within an hour hopefully! Let me give it a try.

Your able to create a blah blah module for xyz ? nice! :)

• Not completely sure if it would get enough attention. Maybe.

Well they could be set to be buried like the offers, people who are looking can always browse that one category

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

That is a very nice idea.
    It should work for whmcs modules, for instance.
    There are competent and safe coders around, could also apply for sites and stuff.

• Good idea, would rather give the work to fellow LET members than random people from WHT :)

@Maounique Thanks, it does not have to be all php based it could be anything, install this, write a installer for xyz, etc, I think with the good mix of people we have here we have a very diverse skill set and it can only strengthen the community by bringing it closer together.

Sure I expect some doom and gloom comments about what if x does y or if a does not do b, but I don't like to prevent a concept or idea just because of what may happen 5% of the time.

Well, some ppl will not deliver but we can set a few rules and the payment will be assured if there will be more contributors, since one might be biased but the others will agree if the work is satisfactory.
    Since we know each other, it has much better chances to work than with random ppl.

• @Maounique said: There are competent and safe coders around,

There are, unfortunately, unsafe an incompetent coders around too. Apropos: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/174292#Comment_174292

It would be nice to have some sort of 'reputation' or 'rating' system in place.

• I would be interested in doing some work this way if the system is run well (i.e. not at all like domain auctions here). We need strict guidelines about what the terms are and all of that. My guess is that it'll devolve into "I can do it for $X" "Well I can do it for $X-$5" etc. What happens when someone doesn't deliver? Maybe these kinds of things should just be negotiated in private?

Not really.
    The bounty is different. You say you will need x and pay for it y.
    Someone joins and offers z that will be added.
    All until someone delivers.
    Who delivered getst he money and the ppl whcih contributed the code.
    After reviewing other offers if present.

• +1 for everything @NickM said. It would just degenerate into "why would you ever do that?! OVH does it cheaper!"-style responses.

• @Maounique said: Who delivered getst he money and the ppl whcih contributed the code.

So, I should start writing code, with no guarantee that I'd get paid, like if someone submits something before me?

• @NickM said: So, I should start writing code, with no guarantee that I'd get paid, like if someone submits something before me?

yes

• @AnthonySmith said: What's everyone's take on having a Bounty category.

Good luck getting staff to do anything.

When asked about the weaknesses of Vanilla and how we've outgrown it, last thing I heard "we're developing our own system"

I guess off-the-shelf software is too much and months need to be dedicated to do something a less than $200 license, for commercial software, can achieve.

• @bamn said: I guess off-the-shelf software is too much and months need to be dedicated to do something a less than $200 license, for commercial software, can achieve.

I'd be willing to give up my XenForo license (if that is allowed in their ToS) in exchange for lifetime advertising.

• @Zen said: It isn't going to work if its a rat race, and it isn't going to work if their aren't repercussions for people that don't pay up. Don't open a thread if you aren't 110% sure you're going to want this - no bullshit, no sporadic unprofessional crap.

This. I'd much rather just handle things privately if it's going to be this kind of bullshit, and it sounds like that's exactly how it's going to be. Sorry, I don't have time to write code for someone else with only the guarantee of "maybe you'll get paid".

• @NickM said: Sorry, I don't have time to write code for someone else with only the guarantee of "maybe you'll get paid".

LowEndEscrow?

Obviously guidelines are required and further discussion, like I said I don't worry my self with what might happen 5% of the time.

I can think of 100 reasons it would not work or things would go wrong but I can think of 1000 good reasons and practical uses.

Lets not focus on the negative eh?

What ppl seem to forget, is that we usually know each other.
    If uncle promises he will pay 100 $, or Damian, or William, to name just a few, will you doubt you get the money ?
    Sure, other ppl might do it faster and better, the ppl offering the money will have the right to choose the person which will do the work beforehand to avoid this issue. Also from known ppl.
    We dont need a special category for this, and, tbh, will have a bigger use for the community than the domain stuff.

• +1 for the bounty idea.

It could be useful for all sorts of stuff:
    1. Quick oh crap I need a VPS
    2. Emergency services
    3. Small patches
    4. Sysadmin work - small stuff

Bunch of other stuff like custom modules.

I like the idea a lot.

• @pubcrawler said: 2. Emergency services

huh

• Well, @gubbyte, emergency services could be lots of things. Someone dealing with a hack, iptables fidgeting, configs gone astray. Timely stuff with folks in a pinch.

• Sorry to hear that @Zen.

• Fiverr is better

• @Taz said: Fiverr is better

No.

• TazTaz Member
    edited December 2012

There's guarantee that your money is not lost, easy dispute, on time delivery, reviews, human support and all for 5$.