Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible?

PcNyPcNy Member

I'm thinking about video caching (I don't know if this is the correct term of what I'm going to say).

Let's say a viewer is in Thailand. I would like to store videos in a server somewhere in US (due to cheaper storage cost). But the bandwidth and latency from TH<>US is horrible. This will make video buffering a problem. So I think if it's possible to setup a proxy server in between TH and US. I'll take Singapore server as example. Now the scheme will be like TH<>SG<>US.
The bandwidth and latency from TH<>SG is much better so this will more or less solve the problem. But the proxy server should also be able to cache some videos to save some bandwidth between SG<>US.

This is what I could think of now.

• US server: high storage, good connection to SG server. (storage intensive)
  • SG server: low storage, best connection to TH audience. (bandwidth intensive)

What could be correct term of what I just described (in case I can google more about it)?
Is there any interesting tools/projects/technology for what I just described?

Any input is welcomed.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Try Plex + transcoding. It will lower the video size and the player will auto-buffer it. Not perfect, but it works great.

Or, maybe scp from the US->SG and then you can watch video un SG ?

• You are probably looking for video chunking and caching. Videos can be broken down into smaller chunks and cached at intermediate locations. If you have the compute resources, you can also transcode on the fly - so if you are viewing on mobile you would generate chunks for a lower resolution at the server, and then transmit.

I dont know of any freely available software for this, but I think the big video streaming sites and CDNs have something like this in-house.

• @PcNy said:

Maybe try sshfs

• @PcNy said:
    I'm thinking about video caching (I don't know if this is the correct term of what I'm going to say).

I tried to do the same thing a while ago. Didn't find any tool/handy technology. Besides all local & big ISP caching big video sites locally, makes it hard for someone trying this. No matter what you do, you can't compete, unless you have bunch of unique & original videos.

For me, the best solution was to use embedded YT & FB videos with restricted access (if required).

• DACDAC Member

Hi,

You can try using ffmpeg to encode the videos and maybe that can increase quality and lower buffering. But you can also look into using embeds to save server storage and use another source's bandwidth.