Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top (three at most) most useful command line tools/utilities - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Top (three at most) most useful command line tools/utilities

13»

Comments

• @NickM said: Also, I can't believe no one has said "man". Probably the absolute most useful tool there is.

It gets little use when people turn to their web browser for that.

• @kbeezie said: If someone doesn't have half a brain to avoid running unknown commands posted in a message board without any explanation then they deserved it.

No one deserves to have all of their data lost because of some idiot on the internet. Sure, they shouldn't be running unknown commands, but posting stuff like that is like giving a gun to a child and telling him to play with it without telling them what it is or does - if the child kills himself or someone else, the person who gave him the gun is the fuck-up.

• @NickM said: No one deserves to have all of their data lost because of some idiot on the internet. Sure, they shouldn't be running unknown commands, but posting stuff like that is like giving a gun to a child and telling him to play with it without telling them what it is or does - if the child kills himself or someone else, the person who gave him the gun is the fuck-up.

Personally I think you're making it way more of an issue than it is, if this information was say on a how-to guide or something other it'd probably be a different scenario, but even a inane command mistyped like cat > instead of >> can be devastating for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Ergo if you don't know about mv, rm, etc you should probably do some reading first, I would expect people who are doing CLI past the point of ssh to know least something about that, besides the attempts are as old as format /q C:.

Mountain of a mole hill I say.

• I would think that someone new to Linux might look at a thread called "Top (three at most) most useful command line tools/utilities" to find out what they should be learning about...