Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the usual upload speed you get on LEBs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the usual upload speed you get on LEBs?

sandrosandro Member
edited December 2012 in General

Providers always advertise their amazing port speeds but what happens when it comes to uplink speeds FROM the VPS (the most important thing for the users assuming you run websites), it's clear those amazing values sometimes only reflect the download speed to the VPS, which is usually useless unless if you run specific applications!
I was just testing uploads between two VPSes I own and I realized one is just 1MB/s and the other one stays around 500KB-700KB/s...aren't these speeds a little too slow? I mean imagine if you had a site that has a lot of media like images wouldn't this slow things down even if you only had 10 concurrent users browsing?

For the record they're hosted on Big Brain and URpad respectively .

Comments

• How did you test?

• sandrosandro Member
    edited December 2012

I created a 100MB file and tested with wget between them through nginx http server.

• That's why providers usually publish Test IP / test file for download - so you can test the speed you get downloading from them (i.e. uploading from your VPS) before you buy.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Usually it's pretty much the same. Up and down from A to B should take the same route. Unless someone is capping transfer one direction and not the other, the download tests should tell you what you want to see.

• @rds100 said: That's why providers usually publish Test IP / test file for download - so you can test the speed you get downloading from them (i.e. uploading from your VPS) before you buy.

That test file is not usually on a node that houses vps customers.

• @Corey said: That test file is not usually on a node that houses vps customers.

+1

• The speeds I get are sufficient.

• @Corey but should be. We host our test file inside a VPS, to make the test real.

• Same here.

• I think the speed issue comes from customers who think "Shared Gigabit port = I GET GIGABIT PORT SPEEDS!!!"

Good luck on that one because I guarantee most of the clients on that box are running Deluge

• That is what people really are not understanding is it is shared.

• Can you tell me some numbers+host+plan?

• @rds100 said: @Corey but should be. We host our test file inside a VPS, to make the test real.

So you have a test file on every single one of your nodes in a VPS that I can pull from to test the speed of all of your nodes?

• What are you looking for @sandro? I am sure we can all offer you different vps plans but what are you currently on? So we can do apples to apples.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: @Corey but should be. We host our test file inside a VPS, to make the test real.

Agreed. We host testfiles.premiumvm.com on our website host, but the actual test files are hosted on the VPS node (not a VPS).

• @Corey We even host our own main site ( not billing ) on our main server and that is where are test file is located. Our actual shared server.

• @sandro said: I created a 100MB file and tested with wget between them through nginx http server.

you don't have any nginx specific rate limiting set ?

• @Corey said: So you have a test file on every single one of your nodes in a VPS that I can pull from to test the speed of all of your nodes?

No, but you can reasonably expect the same performance from all our nodes.

• @bamn said: I think the speed issue comes from customers who think "Shared Gigabit port = I GET GIGABIT PORT SPEEDS!!!"

So when I read "100Mbit" port means that I have 100mb up AND 100mb down available to share between other users on the node. Thus when I make tests for the download speed and I always get around 10MBytes/s it means no one is basically uploading to the VPS (makes sense) but when I try to download from the VPS the speeds are always 1MB/s and below it should mean that someone or everyone is constantly transferring data from their websites/applications?? that is odd but not impossible. Wouldn't make more sense that in the end the node has only 10MBit upload to share instead?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

100Mbit is around 10mb/s
    1GBPS/Gbit is around 100mb/s

• @24khost said: What are you looking for @sandro?

at the moment ... nothing:) just curious. thanks anyway

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@sandro said: So when I read "100Mbit" port means that I have 100mb up AND 100mb down available to share between other users on the node. Thus when I make tests for the download speed and I always get around 10MBytes/s it means no one is basically uploading to the VPS (makes sense) but when I try to download from the VPS the speeds are always 1MB/s and below it should mean that someone or everyone is constantly transferring data from their websites/applications?? that is odd but not impossible. Wouldn't make more sense that in the end the node has only 10MBit upload to share instead?

10-11 megabytes yes.... that is about 100mbit.

usually when you abbreviate MB is megabytes and mb is megabits.

• @eva2000 said: you don't have any nginx specific rate limiting set ?

nope...i mean I doubt it. Fresh nginx install.

edited December 2012

People often assume nodes are using more bandwidth than they really are. I'm looking at my Lenoir node right now and I see that in the last 24 hours the peak of usage was 9mbit. It's pretty close to full. In Dallas I see someone tested the line and hit 11MB/s, another brief burst to 3MB/s, the rest well under 10mbit for the last 24 hours.

• @Corey said: 10-11 megabytes yes.... that is about 100mbit.

what are you referring to? my "MB" means MegaBytes otherwise I write "Mbit"

• @sandro said: when I try to download from the VPS the speeds are always 1MB/s and below it should mean that someone or everyone is constantly transferring data from their websites/applications?? that is odd but not impossible.

sorry to quote myself but apparently that's exactly what happens. I just retried and I got 10MB/s from where I got 500KB/s before...so yes users I share BW with are using the the upload speed completely (at times)!

• @jarland said: People often assume nodes are using more bandwidth than they really are.

Our Deluge loving Southeast Asians keep our pipe full

@bamn said: Deluge loving

IO priority is a great thing isn't it? :D

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2012

might also try using axel accelerator http://axel.alioth.debian.org/ instead of wget as wget is single threaded connection while axel is multi-threaded/connection based so guaranteed to max out what the network speed is really capable of

i.e. benchmarks i did at http://vbtechsupport.com/2127/

** wget**

./speedtest.sh speedtest

Download speed from CacheFly: 30.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 8.72MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 8.42MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.99MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 13.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.57MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.05MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 19.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 103MB/s

vs

** axel**

./speedtest.sh speedtestaxel

Download speed from CacheFly: 92.42 MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 29.45 MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 19.24 MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.31 MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 20.89 MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 19.86 MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.47 MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 13.67 MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 29.04 MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 98.74 MB/s

• RophRoph Member
    edited December 2012

I generally don't stay as a customer if I'm seeing under 5mbit/s average downloading from a new LEB. For each new one I get, I install speedtest mini and have a bunch of people in various locations test it out.

I dropped budgetvm for this reason, shockingly slow all around. Minivps' EU VPS (OVH based) got the best results for me (often 80mbit/s+), though it's no longer available.

From my own experience (Virgin Media, 120mbit/s) and doing some speedtest mini tests now, here's what I'm seeing:

Ramnode: 6mbit/s

BuyVM: 1.8mbit/s

ChicagoVPS: 7mbit/s

Minivps: 31mbit/s

Semoweb: 3.7mbit/s