Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM/KVM Adding a floppy device
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM/KVM Adding a floppy device

edited December 2012 in General

Any idea on how to do this? I've tried creating a custom config:

<disk type='file' device='floppy'> <source file='/home/solusvm/kvm/driver/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso'/> <target dev='fda'/> </disk>

But it Windows Server 2003 doesn't seem to be able to pick up a floppy drive to install the virtio drivers. I'm testing out Windows Server 2012 right now.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've always set up two cdroms to mount virtio and install during windows installation, but then I use proxmox for KVM...

• @jarland Well actually that may work, I'll have to try it. Thanks.

• Oh so that's how you install virtio :).... installed windows in a kvm recently without that....

• @Corey well if you use IDE, the I/O is pretty bad. Virtio is a ton better.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@zachfedora said: @Corey well if you use IDE, the I/O is pretty bad. Virtio is a ton better.

CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=y (Virtualization -> PCI driver for virtio devices)

CONFIG_VIRTIO_BALLOON=y (Virtualization -> Virtio balloon driver)
    CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y (Device Drivers -> Block -> Virtio block driver)
    CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y (Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Virtio network driver)
    CONFIG_VIRTIO=y (automatically selected)
    CONFIG_VIRTIO_RING=y (automatically selected)
    you can safely disable SATA/SCSI and also all other nic drivers if you only use VIRTIO (disk/nic)

what is virtio balloon driver?

• Windows doesn't support virtio out of the box though, just for reference, you need to download the drivers.

• @GETKVM_Ash

I have the drivers -
    <source file='/home/solusvm/kvm/driver/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso'/>

I'm trying to allow users to load the drivers in the installation

• I have the drivers -

I'm trying to allow users to load the drivers in the installation

Ah sorry i was responding to Corey, wasn't sure if he was aware or not.

• Oh, no problem, I'm just confused with it

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Windows doesn't support virtio out of the box though, just for reference, you need to download the drivers.

Yea I could tell because he is mounting the drivers iso.

But linux does support it out of the box? It just needs to be turned on?

• @Corey Yes linux supports virtio out of the box, Windows does not and requires drivers to be loaded either before the install or after.

• @zachfedora said: @Corey Yes linux supports virtio out of the box, Windows does not and requires drivers to be loaded either before the install or after.

That would explain why it took so long for me to install windows 8 in my kvm container... lol

• @Corey Yeah it's pretty bad

• @zachfedora said: @Corey Yes linux supports virtio out of the box, Windows does not and requires drivers to be loaded either before the install or after.

Where is the config file in linux for virtio.... also does anything need to be enabled on the kvm host node?

• edited December 2012

@Corey virtio is a driver not a package or anything, so it probably wouldn't have a config file within the container. All you need to do is enable Paravirtualized drives (virtio) on the host node.

• @zachfedora said: @Corey virtio is a driver not a package or anything, so it probably wouldn't have a config file within the container. All you need to do is enable Paravirtualized drives (virtio) on the host node.

Well here, http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio under 'how to use virtio' I see config options. Was wondering where those are.

• @George_Fusioned Yep, that worked for me. I was being stupid and didn't read that article correctly, thanks!