Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Cloning Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Cloning Question

I currently have a KS2, and am looking to go to a Server That has more ram, Unfortunately Kimsufi does not have any available in France. I would like somewhere in Europe, Asia, or Maybe even Russia.

The server is a Windows Server Running Exchange, I am using nearly all 4 gigs of ram I am looking to see if someone knows how or can help me with doing a live Transfer of the sever.Or Clone the server, I have seen cloning software but using windows backup it wants me to add a drive for backups and I am unable to do that. I looked for software to save a backup locally but didn't see one. The serer has stuff stored on it as I use it for remote access as well.

I basically want to clone the server as is to a new server with more ram. I would prefer a Dedicated server and like to stick around the lower cost as the server is used only for personal email, and my various websites email.

If you can help me I would appreciate it.

Comments

• MadMad Member

You need to backup your server manually and import it in the new server.
    Keep in mind that locations like Asia or Russia are expensive, the servers usually start from 120$ /mo

Do you need a cheap european alternative? Check online.net or hetzner.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Rescue mode, dd and scp?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

R1soft backup & restore?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Since you are using Exchange that means you could add the new server, join the domain and install Exchange.
    Then use the move mailbox feature to move everything from server one to server two.

When everything is moved, decommision the first server.

• @mikho I have other files on the server aside from just exchange. I use it for remote desktop sometimes, and random file storage.

Is there a software Or tool I can run to create a bootable copy of the hard drive Soo All I have to do is Install the image to the new server.

how much downtime can you afford?

Making a copy of the server, transfer the files somewhere so you can restore it to the new server. These things takes time.
    Online migration is the best choice.

Exchange - Move-Mailbox.
    Files - Robocopy the files to the new server.

Another option would be to virtualize the server. Install ESXi on the new (would require at least 2 IP unless you know what you are doing) then install vmware Converter ( https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter ) and convert the machine "on the fly".

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

You can boot a rescuecd on both servers and dd the content over the internet.

• It comes down to downtime, how long can you afford to be offline?

You've not said how big your data is or how complex your config is. But I would get the new server, install everything on the new system then use the Exchange migration tool (can't remember where its located) to migrate the users one-by-one. Then you can ensure consistency and if you're smart you can configure Exchange to forward mail from the old system to the new one for migrated mailboxes so you have minimal downtime. Once its completed, changed the MX to the new server and kill the old one.

MarkTurner said: Once its completed, changed the MX to the new server and kill the old one.

proper way is to add a secondary MX opinting towards the new server, then when everything is migrated, first exchange the values of the MX-pointers, after a few days, remove the old MX-pointer.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mikho said: proper way is to add a secondary MX opinting towards the new server, then when everything is migrated, first exchange the values of the MX-pointers, after a few days, remove the old MX-pointer.

If you have a mailbox on the old system and you have mail in the same named mailbox on the new system (because you've moved the mail across) then Exchange migrate will fail or offer to delete the new mailbox. If you have a forward on the new system to the old system, then Exchange will want that removed before you migrate.

So you really want to keep the mail going into the old system then set a forward on the old server to the new one once its migrated.

MarkTurner said: If you have a mailbox on the old system and you have mail in the same named mailbox on the new system (because you've moved the mail across) then Exchange migrate will fail or offer to delete the new mailbox. If you have a forward on the new system to the old system, then Exchange will want that removed before you migrate.

The proper way is to join both Exchange servers into the same domain and MOVE the mailbox from the first server to the second. You can not have two identical active mailboxes in one Exchange environment, then you've done something wrong ;)

So you really want to keep the mail going into the old system then set a forward on the old server to the new one once its migrated.

When you add the second server you also setup send/receive connectors between the servers so mail can flow between them.

I can recommend this article to read on moving mailboxes. http://windowsitpro.com/exchange-server-2010/moving-mailboxes-exchange-2010-way

• mikho said: The proper way is to join both Exchange servers into the same domain and MOVE the mailbox from the first server to the second. You can not have two identical active mailboxes in one Exchange environment, then you've done something wrong ;)

I haven't been near Windows and Exchange since around 2007/2008, its not my area of expertise at all. I just remember pain, more pain before finally watching the HP contractor go to get another guy who was equally unhappy. In the end after what should have been a 2 day job, turned into 4 days, we pulled the plug on Exchange and moved to Zimbra, we've been there ever since.

I think you're 100% right though on the joining the domain, move the mailbox. I think our issue was were going from Windows NT 4 (LOL) to Windows 2008 at the time and there was a whole load of incompatibilities or something that just plagued the migration.

Zimbra migration tool was great, enter exchange details, select mailboxes, import. 18 hours later, all the mailboxes were transferred.

MarkTurner said: I just remember pain, more pain before finally watching the HP contractor go to get another guy who was equally unhappy. In the end after what should have been a 2 day job, turned into 4 days, we pulled the plug on Exchange and moved to Zimbra, we've been there ever since.

You should have hired me :)

• Since your currently using a Kimsufi you won't be able to boot something like CloneZilla to make a clone of the server.

R1Soft is an option although I don't have much experience with this in Windows so don't know if it will work, especially with Exchange. (It doesn't like change)

Your best bet would be to install a brand new server and use the Move-Mailbox feature, at least this way you have minimal downtime. You'll just need to reinstall your other software and copy any files.

Doesn't Windows Server let you backup to a network share?

If your not already set on a provider for the server, I'd highly recommend @Clouvider

Also if you need any assistance I'd be happy to help, I use Windows Server and Exchange on a daily basis.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

Thanks for your recommendation as @rmlhhd.

R1Soft has exchange specific option, you could install an agent in the old server and in the new server and restore between them.

You must test it in your environment though, so I'd say leave it a few extra days before expiry date, and don't do it last minute so you have some options open.

Good luck!

• You're using exchange which uses all ram available to it. If you move to a server with 32GB of ram, exchange will use all 32GB and you'll be in the same position. Partly the reason you're not supposed to run anything besides exchange on an exchange server.

• Well, The server has been running 2.5 Gigs now and just recently went to about 3.7 average So Exchange does not use all the ram.

Thank you all for the information, Because the current server is running windows server 2008 I think i am going to upgrade and buy windows server 2012. And them move my mailbox(s) to the new server.

What Exchange version are you running? Just to make sure you can use that version on Win2012