Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Order 10 Different Hosting Accounts - Triggers Fraud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Order 10 Different Hosting Accounts - Triggers Fraud?

I've accumulated a bunch of domains for a rollout that requires geographically disparate locales. I have about 10 different hosting providers I've noted down and am ready to sign up with. Question: most of these providers are using whmcs. Will I trigger some kind of fraud alert if I order all on the same day? Payment will be in either Paypal or Bitcoin.

Comments

• @boxelder said:
    I've accumulated a bunch of domains for a rollout that requires geographically disparate locales. I have about 10 different hosting providers I've noted down and am ready to sign up with. Question: most of these providers are using whmcs. Will I trigger some kind of fraud alert if I order all on the same day? Payment will be in either Paypal or Bitcoin.

I dont think this should be a problem as long as the other things check out (proper billing address, NOT stolen card, verified paypal account etc).

• No, the fraud systems don't work that way.

• LeeLee Veteran

Well it might work that way, for example;

If you trigger something on the first provider that leads them to send a report to that dodgy fraudrecord, then try at another host and they see the fraudrecord report and so on and so on.

I would not be too hasty to say it could not happen but it depends on a) you giving the right and same information each time and b) picking sensible providers.

• Yes, I'm using real address and other information so shouldn't be anything dodgy (although too your point, Lee, I'll be using different email addresses and will use my business address instead of my home address, so hopefully that doesn't trigger anything). I thought maxmind or some other algorithm on the backend would flag me, like it would be unbelievable that the same address would order 10 accounts on the same day, but I guess whmcs isn't crowdsourced that way. Thanks all for clearing that up.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited October 2015

@boxelder said:
    Yes, I'm using real address and other information so shouldn't be anything dodgy (although too your point, Lee, I'll be using different email addresses and will use my business address instead of my home address, so hopefully that doesn't trigger anything). I thought maxmind or some other algorithm on the backend would flag me, like it would be unbelievable that the same address would order 10 accounts on the same day, but I guess whmcs isn't crowdsourced that way. Thanks all for clearing that up.

I am actually developing a fraudrecord tie in fraud module for whmcs/blesta just waiting for payday to get the ion cube encoder to protect my work.
    So if you get reported and get the report that is equal to the report score that the module returns it will fail your order automatically and mark it as fraud and flag it for manual review

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2015

@timnboys said:
    So if you get reported and get the report that is equal to the report score that the module returns it will fail your order automatically and mark it as fraud and flag it for manual review

You know that this feature is already a plugin for WHMCS, right?

https://fraudrecord.com/integration/

And Maxmind is so much better than FraudRecord, which is a pile of junk.

• @0xdragon said:
    And Maxmind is so much better than FraudRecord, which is a pile of junk.

But does it tie into the order process though to stop orders before there ever approved or provisioned though? As that module doesn't it is just a addon module my module is a actual whmcs fraud protection module not just a addon module that doesn't stop the order

• @timnboys said:
    But does it tie into the order process though to stop orders before there ever approved or provisioned though? As that module doesn't it is just a addon module my module is a actual whmcs fraud protection module not just a addon module that doesn't stop the order

Have you tried it? And what you just said was that a module is not the same as a module. Good work.

• @0xdragon said:
    Have you tried it? And what you just said was that a module is not the same as a module. Good work.

While I agree that his module is useless, I think he's trying to say he built his module into the Fraud system that WHMCS comes with. (I don't really know lol. just a guess)

The WHMCS module from FraudRecord only allows you to manually look up clients and make reports. He's saying he wants orders to automatically be marked fraud and rejected. It's a stupid idea given how bad FraudRecord is as there are so many hosts submitting false reports, but hey whatever floats your boat.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited October 2015

@Jonchun said:

Yes that is what I was trying to say it is built into the fraud system of whmcs
    It's useless? As people on fraudrecord forums wanted this I was just trying to make it for them
    Don't worry about bad reports as it takes into account the report reliability score also into account to prevent people who got reported by a false report doesn't get flagged and passes through

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

timnboys said: just waiting for payday to get the ion cube encoder to protect my work.

Please don't use Ioncube. It's utter snake oil a scam.

• It doesn't stop the commercial pirates (they have a financial incentive to bypass it).
    • it doesn't stop the non-commercial pirates (they crack it for fun).
    • It does get in the way of your actual customers, when they want to apply a patch, audit it for security issues, and so on.

You're only harming your customers by using Ioncube. It's just as broken as every form of DRM. Believing Ioncube to 'protect your work' is wishful thinking, and not realistic.

Thanked by 3Aga rds100 vimalware
  • @joepie91 said:
    You're only harming your customers by using Ioncube. It's just as broken as every form of DRM. Believing Ioncube to 'protect your work' is wishful thinking, and not realistic.

Really because when I first released my weather4u software v1.1 with it being free and just having active lock software licensing in it just to make sure who was using it it was all over pirate/Warez sites with the licensing that was free to start with removed and how knows what malware embedded that is why I started obfuscating my software and hadn't had that issue since I started obfuscating and using products like ioncube.
    so if I really plan to sell the module I better follow what I learned from my software and obfuscate it before even releasing it.

• @timnboys said:
    so if I really plan to sell the module I better follow what I learned from my software and obfuscate it before even releasing it.

Truthfully obfuscation only stops script kiddies and those who really can't code. Its not hard to decode ioncube presently so any DRM is really a joke. You can use it to slow pirates, but never stop them.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    Truthfully obfuscation only stops script kiddies and those who really can't code. Its not hard to decode ioncube presently so any DRM is really a joke. You can use it to slow pirates, but never stop them.

I understand that what I learned about obfuscation it just slows them and ups the skill level needed it doesn't really stop them it is like a constant cat and mouse game between them.
    so yes I am just trying to slow them down enough where it takes them longer and more skills required to deobfuscate it then just paying for it.

• AgaAga Member

pcfreak30 said: Truthfully obfuscation only stops script kiddies and those who really can't code.

And only the laziest of thoses.

timnboys said: I understand that what I learned about obfuscation it just slows them and ups the skill level needed it doesn't really stop them it is like a constant cat and mouse game between them.

You are giving way too much credit to Ioncube. There are actually a lot of ways to quick andeasy decode ioncube code. There are even 'business' that offer it as a service, and it's not expensive.

So unless you are counting on the fact that the people you are trying to slow down don't have $10-$15 bucks to spare it's utterly useless.

If they are too cheap it could take less than 5min to be ready if the know how to search properly.

It's basically useless, and you just annoy your real customers.

• @Aga said:

really the new v9 version?
    because I am buying the newest version.

• AgaAga Member

timnboys said: really the new v9 version?

Doesn't change a thing, it could be a little more expensive, or take a little longer to find the right tool but it's useless the same way.

• @timnboys said:

At a guess all ioncube is doing is re-obfuscating their loader library and changing encryption keys then calling it a new version to sell. They may add new stuff but yes, it is a cat and mouse game that creates its own market.

• It should not be a problem.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

timnboys said: Really because when I first released my weather4u software v1.1 with it being free and just having active lock software licensing in it just to make sure who was using it it was all over pirate/Warez sites with the licensing that was free to start with removed and how knows what malware embedded that is why I started obfuscating my software and hadn't had that issue since I started obfuscating and using products like ioncube. so if I really plan to sell the module I better follow what I learned from my software and obfuscate it before even releasing it.

This is the nature of software distribution. Ioncube will not prevent it. Nothing will. Companies have been denying this and trying to work around it for decades now, and absolutely nothing has helped.

This is a hard reality, and the sooner you accept it and factor it into your business decisions, the better. You're tilting at windmills.

timnboys said: I understand that what I learned about obfuscation it just slows them and ups the skill level needed it doesn't really stop them it is like a constant cat and mouse game between them. so yes I am just trying to slow them down enough where it takes them longer and more skills required to deobfuscate it then just paying for it.

As I already pointed out, this doesn't work, because all the actual pirates have an incentive to break it, and the barrier isn't a problem for them. You're only screwing over your legitimate customers, who don't have that much time to invest for something like a simple patch.

EDIT: And I just want to emphasize - only a single customer has to decide to leak it, and now it's up for grabs for the entire world. Preventing the lazy script kiddies from cracking it isn't going to help, because they're not going to try to begin with - they'll just grab a cracked copy from elsewhere.

pcfreak30 said: At a guess all ioncube is doing is re-obfuscating their loader library and changing encryption keys then calling it a new version to sell.

More or less. They change some internals every now and then, but fundamentally it's still just layers of obfuscation. DRM is just literally not possible from a technical point of view - once it is on somebody elses system, there's nothing you can do about it anymore.

Thanked by 1wych