Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'adduser' cannot login via SSH?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

'adduser' cannot login via SSH?

FreekFreek Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I added an user via the 'adduser' command but it cannot login via SSH..? When I try to login over SSH it keeps saying that the password is wrong. This is on Ubuntu Server 12.04

PS. Adding 'AllowUsers USERNAME' to /etc/ssh/sshd_config is a bad bad idea.. Was unable to connect to SSH at all aftwards (Connection Refused). Had to use OVH's Rescue mode.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Run passwd as the new user and set a password.

• or "passwd " as root

• "passwd newuser"

• Thanks :D It worked out. Sometimes things can be so simple.

• useradd should do it all if your on ubuntu / debian

• As far as I know, a password-less user is denied shell login on all distros. Feel free to correct me :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@sleddog said: As far as I know, a password-less user is denied shell login on all distros. Feel free to correct me :)

Assuming that was a response to @exussum, Ubuntu, Debian, and some other distros have an additional utility called useradd aside from the normal adduser. useradd will ask a bunch of questions including password, so that it's always set.

• @joepie91 said: Assuming that was a response to @exussum, Ubuntu, Debian, and some other distros have an additional utility called useradd aside from the normal adduser. useradd will ask a bunch of questions including password, so that it's always set.

Not really. It was a general comment on the thread issue, which seemed to be that the user did not have a password. No password, no login -- regardless of distro.

• AdducAdduc Member
    edited December 2012

The default OpenSSH server (and the configurations most distributions ship) disables passwordless login, although it can be enabled with this line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
    PermitEmptyPasswords yes

• @sleddog said: As far as I know, a password-less user is denied shell login on all distros. Feel free to correct me :)

Only over SSH. You can remove the password and then login via a normal shell (or console/VNC for that matter).