Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploring options for a KVM Based VPS for a PBX System (VOIP)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exploring options for a KVM Based VPS for a PBX System (VOIP)

coloradovpscoloradovps Member
edited October 2015 in Requests

I am looking at the possibility of moving my personal PBX Server (IncrediblePBX) to a cloud server and am reaching out to this highly knowledgeable community to see what my KVM based offerings (North American Based) might be. I welcome both recommendations from others as well as offers from providers.

Background:

For the past several years, I've run a PBX server (IncrediblePBX) locally through Virtualbox. With the exception of powering my phone system, there is no reason for this machine to be powered on 24/7 so I'm exploring other options.

I was pretty much sold on purchasing a Raspberry Pi 2 machine (~$40) to handle PBX duties, however before I pull the trigger I'd like to better understand what my cloud based options might be.

I work from home and spend way to much time (~1200 minutes/month) on the phone so I would need a reliable server. This PBX system would also power my home phone line (about 200 mins per month from various family members)

Server Requirements:

• CPU - Don't really care, min requirements for Incredible PBX is a PIII @ 800mhz
  • RAM - 512MB+
  • Disk - 10GB+ (Don't care if its SSD vs traditional)
  • Network Speed - 100Mbps+
  • Bandwidth Quota - 10GB/mo allowance is more than enough (overkill actually)
  • Virtualization Type - KVM / VMWare or a Dedicated Server. No OpenVZ please, I've found openvz to be problematic with IncrediblePBX and rather than starting a KVM vs OpenVZ debate I'm just saying "no thanks" to any OpenVZ offers.

Other Requirements:

• Location - Low latency is important for VOIP. I'm in Denver, so anything in North America should be fine. Really hoping to find a test IP for any service recommended
  • Network - Any blend of providers is fine as long as they have decent latency to my VOIP services. If you can provide a looking glass link please do, otherwise if you happen to be a provider who's responding I'd really greatly appreciate a ping / traceroute to the following: ping.callcentric.com, talk.google.com, tf.callwithus.com
  • Operating Systems - CentOS or Ubuntu availability
  • Reliability - I don't need an SLA, however I am looking for a reputable provider who advertises 99.9%+ uptime. My family's home phone system would be powered by this server, including 911 service.
  • Price - The highest price I'll consider is $5/mo, although I'd give precedence to any offer below $40/year (the one time price my other option - a raspberry pi2)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

Maybe take a look to our KVM offers? --> http://kvm4.me
    We offer Atlanta and Los Angeles.

Regards, David.

• Mean Servers are in Denver and sell KVM. I have a yearly 128MB with them that had been great. I just renewed actually. Check them out.

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

Im not trying to stop the VPS option. But if you do take the raspberry pi route you can't go wrong. I have been running a voip server on my raspberry pi and had no problems. If setup correctly its great, local, low powered and cost.

• @davidgestiondbi - Thanks! I'll take a look

@joereid - Thats great! They are at the top end of my budget ($5/mo) but supporting local is great (plus, low latency!) - I'll put them on the short list.

@rickey318 - Thanks for the advice. I'm 50/50 at this point...

• I'd recommend avoiding most Los Angeles VPSes (esp. if they are in QuadraNet LA), while they are fine for running websites and hosting files, I've noticed repeated bandwidth quality issues that make me want to stay away from most LA Datacenters.

If your looking for something more OpenVZ friendly, FusionPBX is pretty good. I'd grab something close to where most of your usage is going to be, maybe something in Denver from Mean Servers, you could probably get their base package, Asterisk is generally not that heavy. For example, on one of our nodes with around 100 registered devices and 3 currently active calls, our total ram usage is 20MB with FusionPBX, with a CPU use of 1.4%. Asterisk, while a little heavier, isn't generally far off from that level of resource usage.

• @coloradovps

if you are ok with $5/m then go with meanserver
    they have server in denver so latency will be very low

512MB RAM
    1 CPU core (x2 priority)
    40GB SSD-Cached SAS HDD space
    500GB transfer
    100Mbps uplink
    1x IPv4
    /96 IPv6
    Free DirectAdmin
    KVM/Virtualizor
    $5/month

then another provider is BoltVM

512MB RAM
    1 CPU core
    20GB HDD space
    500GB transfer
    1Gbps uplink
    10 Gbps Native DDoS Mitigation
    1x IPv4
    /64x IPv6
    KVM/SolusVM
    $4.20/month

(i don't have any exp but i hear good reviews)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

How about a hosted Pi :)