Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What need to learn to manage a hosting server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What need to learn to manage a hosting server?

ali71ali71 Member

I have dream of owning a hosting company. I know it's a bad dream, there are plenty of hosting company, but I just want to learn it.

Now, my question is which subjects of networking I need to learn to manage a hosting server. I already know linux, I have been using ubuntu desktop for 4 years. I know few basic networking. I know how to work with vps.

Thanks

Comments

• @ali71 said:
    I already know linux, I have been using ubuntu desktop for 4 years.

Nope, no you don't. Just like a Windows user can't do shit on a Windows Server.

• cPanel
    Linux (desktop and GUI doesn't cut it)
    Networking / Routing
    Virtualisation platforms
    SolusVM
    DNS
    Configuration management software e.g. Ansible
    Billing platforms

Here are just some things you'd need to know.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • Live and learn, $$$$$ talks you don't have to know anything to OWN a hosting company you just need to have the $$$$$. I'm sure for a competitive salary of lets say 60k-70k/year you can have a pretty good sysadmin.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2015

Yeah, I feel pretty humble but have been in web development/programming for about 15 years. There's 70+ years of computer science in the making, millions of pages of documentation and billions of lines of code, all doing arbitrary things. No one knows it all or even a small fraction of it. Experts in one field aren't experts in another.

I know I lack the experience to set up a hosting company, and it'd take a few years to be on any kind of par with the average hosting outfit.

Learning aside, experience is probably your best bet, to get an idea of the things you absolutely need to know. Over time your toolset will expand and allow you to problem-solve more effectively.

You'd probably want to find some employment working within a hosting company to get into the mindset of what your daily problems (and solutions) would be.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • MadMad Member
    edited October 2015

First of all you need passion and be motivated what you do for; from a tech aspect you need to know:

Linux

Network/System (IP block configuration, file systems, RAID technology etc.)

Virtualizations (in particular the one that you want to use, its function and its commands)

Control Panels (cPanel, DirectAdmin, SolusVM, WHMCS etc.)

DNS Settings

Thanked by 1ali71
  • WHTWHT Member

cpanel is the main thing. Anyway, those days you got managed services so no need to worry about.

• edited October 2015

If you're the only one who's running your business, first you need to learn marketing and management. Then you need to learn how to control and setup servers using Linux (and/or Windows)

After then only, learn how to provision and control using cPanel/WHM & Plesk. Learn billing management. (Basics, there're lot to learn)

Following list come in handy. :) Also HRM is a must when running a business. I was running my web development business alone for 8 months. Now we've 7 members and 4 active freelancers. It takes time to build up your business. We're 3 and half years old (Since registration) and still I consider our company as a infant company.

> > [jeromeza said](/discussion/comment/1342175/#Comment_1342175): cPanel
    > Linux (desktop and GUI doesn't cut it)
    > Networking / Routing
    > Virtualisation platforms
    > SolusVM
    > DNS
    > Configuration management software e.g. Ansible
    > Billing platforms

Thanked by 1ali71
  • As I understand it, you can simply murder an experienced sysadmin and his knowledge and power will flow into you. Remember, there can be only one.

• Nekki said: there can be only one

Then you'll be the new Highlander.

• vRozenSch00n said: Then you'll be the new Highlander.

Shit, good catch, I've confused being a sysadmin with being the Highlander again.

Thanked by 2Issam2204 vimalware
  • Nekki said: I've confused being a sysadmin with being the Highlander again.

No more Transformer?

• ali71 said: I have dream of owning a hosting company

Keep dreaming...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • sinsin Member

Nekki said: As I understand it, you can simply murder an experienced sysadmin and his knowledge and power will flow into you. Remember, there can be only one.

Thanks for getting coffee all over my keyboard

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Not murder you have to behead them to absorb the smoke of knowledge. Or else take them to a pub and drop a few quid. Then you'll learn more then you ever wanted to.