Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any one in USA?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any one in USA?

a7898585a7898585 Member
edited December 2012 in General

in china our ip address can be changed every time we turn on the computer, is it the same in the USA?

Comments

• Doesn't that just mean you have a dynamic IP and not a static IP? A static IP usually costs more that's all.

• I'm not aware of any country level policies that dictate whether an ISP issues dhcp or fixed addresses. Generally, ISPs charge more for a fixed IP so most use dynamic

• Some ISPs in the US do strict dynamic IPs - every time you connect, you get a new IP, while others do sticky IPs - your IP is tied to your modem's MAC address. Usually you'll have to pay for a static IP (I've seen prices around $5 a month) or you'll need to upgrade to a "Business class" package.

• @a7898585 said: in china our ip address can be changed every time we turn on the computer, is it the same in the USA?

Pretty much the same for some residential ISP's in the US and other parts of the world. Some parts of the US allow users to have dynamic IP's, while some only give static IP's.

I had some fun with your question...the first thing that came to mind really was--

--In the US, a computer will not work without electricity, is it the same in China?

• @Paul

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Around here its basically a static IP with all of the cable companies, but not a promise of one. It's static in that it never really changes, dynamic in that if tomorrow something changes it isn't really an issue to them.

• My cable IP changes about once every 1-2 weeks.

• Great for yourself that IP changes :)

• I guess most home users are having dynamic IP address. Same here in Malaysia :)

• In the UK it comes in packages, you don't choose dynamic or static. Depends on the ISP really.

• It depends on the ISP. I do know that mine is dynamic. My ISP goes by the MAC. I have had the same one for the same IP for the last 3 years. Before that, I had a different one till I changed my cable modem from a docs2 to a docs3 modem.

• VirginMedia UK - Sticky.

They're technically dynamic, but they only change if you turn your modem off for something like 24 hours, so I've been using the same IP for a year or two.

• don't you ever experience electric outages.??or accidentally switch off the plug..??

@ElliotJ said: the same IP for a year or two.

• Yeah, I use Virgin Media too. IP changes if the router if off for 24 hours OR if you've changed the router.

• @Shamli said: don't you ever experience electric outages.??or accidentally switch off the plug..??

In five years or more (I don't remember).

Almost never. (Atleast for me)

• @Shamli said: don't you ever experience electric outages.??or accidentally switch off the plug..??

Nope.

The modem is in a cupboard, and we rarely experience power cuts (last one was a few years ago, and lasted about an hour)

• My home ADSL is registered with a business, with a dynamic IP address, however we where assigned a dynamic hostname with a short TTL (eg businessname.LNK.ISP.net), which is setup as a CNAME record for a domain to make it a little shorter.

• Is it true that all Chinese people are actually clones?

• @ztec said: Is it true that all Chinese people are actually clones?

Seriously? You're going to say that here?

• And I was called racist! Wow!!

• That's not nice o.O