Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualization 2 Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualization 2 Servers

Can I virtualize 2 servers to work like 1 ?

Comments

• With 3, you might. ESXi...
    But with 2, I doubt.

• Why not do dns round robin or load balancer.....

• Mate, if you're going to keep asking questions, it might be useful to tell us specifically what you're trying to do, rather than being vague. Also, if you have more questions, keep them all in one thread rather than creating tons of new ones, it'll likely be easier for people to help you.

Thanked by 3Shamli Clouvider cassa
  • @Nomad said:
    With 3, you might. ESXi...
    But with 2, I doubt.

How to make that with 3 ? It's can be some low dedicated server for esxi and 2 main ?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You simply can't make 2, 10 or 1000 computers to work simply 'like 1'. It's not that easy, and it's not about the quantity of servers.

• Clouvider said: You simply can't make 2, 10 or 1000 computers to work simply 'like 1'. It's not that easy, and it's not about the quantity of servers.

Thats not true, Digital was doing this 20 years ago! VMS, Tru64 with TruCluster all did this. They had shared memory bus, used have a 8 DEC ES40 server all connected with MC2 and the servers presented themselves as a single server.

• Clouvider said: You simply can't make 2, 10 or 1000 computers to work simply 'like 1'. It's not that easy, and it's not about the quantity of servers.

Eh, with Infiniband you can do funky stuff by DMA at 100-290Gbit (x4, x12) - does open things like memory mirroring, i know some banks do that with larger clusters (like, bunch of racks in a star config mirroring each other). Does not solve the CPU problem though, i don't think you'd be able to get an interconnect fast enough to sync CPU states in real time and the latency would suck even on just 10cm cable.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @iContact said:

How to make that with 3 ? It's can be some low dedicated server for esxi and 2 main ?

What I was talking about is not exactly using all as one but rather using resources in a pool, having high availability, transferring VM's to the other servers in case something happens to one etc. More like cloud.

I personally don't know of any technology to make them all act like one, share all the load etc. If you meant that, well. No luck.

As for that, it ain't no easy task as much as I know. You'ld better have your own router, multiple gigabit lines etc. etc...

You better give up on that if you haven't even heard about it. Go with proxmox or likes of it and add your second server as a node.