Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Crash Plan replacement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a Crash Plan replacement

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited October 2015 in General

So I've been using CrashPlan for close to 3 years without any major issues until two months ago. For some reason in the middle of each month for the past 3 months I've needed to completely uninstall and re-install CrashPlan on my computer but I don't know about this until I get the e-mail notice telling me I haven't had any backups for X days. I'm paying $59.99/year so I'd prefer to have a solution where I don't need to worry about.

I've installed the trial for BackBlaze since it's cheaper and offers similar features but the network is pretty slow compared to CrashPlan (which is pretty slow already) capping out at 1.02Mbps on my 1Gbps port.

I've looked into SyncThing and might give that a go on one of my spare servers but if it's anything like BTSync I'll pass.

My requirements: 1) Self provided encryption keys (I sleep better if only I have the keys to my files) 2) $60/year limit (I prefer to pay annually but monthly is fine also) 3) 200GB of storage (I only have ~80GB of data but CrashPlan has about 100GB of different versions) 4) File versioning (I want to be able to restore a file I edited a year ago) 5) Fast network speeds (CrashPlan usually gives me 10-20Mbps which is enough for restoring a few folders of text files and pictures but I've got a 1Gbps port to utilize so I'd like to use as much of it as possible).

I don't care if it's self hosted or not so any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

KuJoe said: $60/year

KuJoe said: 200GB of storage

For this amount and budget, just any dedi or KVM VPS with 500 GB space, then DIY with incremental rsync and a trail of Btrfs snapshots on the server side.

• @rm_ said:
    For this amount and budget, just any dedi or KVM VPS with 500 GB space, then DIY with incremental rsync and a trail of Btrfs snapshots on the server side.

This. I think Time4VPS have good storage deals.

• I'm currently using duplicati 2.x on my desktop along side spideroak for the important stuff like photo's and docs.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

0xdragon said: I think Time4VPS have good storage deals.

Time4VPS storage is OpenVZ.

• ReeRee Member

I had the same behaviour, and it was from hitting the memory limit. Check how much you're using, and boost if necessary:
    http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/CrashPlan_Closes_Unexpectedly

(I hit the limit way before the 1TB/1M files they mention, so I think that's probably based on older versions or something)

Thanked by 2mov3 tehdan
  • I'm using LiveDrive ( UK company with UK datacenters )
    Unlimited PC's
    Unlimited storage
    Unlimited transfer

€3,95 per month (http://www.clouddrive.nl/pakketten)

• RizRiz Member

Carbonite? Not sure anything about them, but I recon them being a competitor of crashplan. Pricing is pretty similar, couldn't speak for features.

• If you can raise your budget then objspace is good option:
    http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/objspace/

You can run Duply/Duplicity and sync your files. Depending on the source network, you'll be able to max that GE you have.

• What did you not like about btsync? I'm running syncthing with a backup server, my laptop, and my desktop and it keeps things in sync just fine. It requires a bit more setup, but is very simple to do.

• Just rsync..?

• I'm pretty positive about http://sosonlinebackup.com i had it running on a dedicated server in the Netherlands with 1GBIT port, average backup uploading speed was around 25Mbps. You could give their free trail a shot to see if it fits your needs.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

rm_ said: For this amount and budget, just any dedi or KVM VPS with 500 GB space, then DIY with incremental rsync and a trail of Btrfs snapshots on the server side.

I was hoping for a simple solution since I already have enough complicated ones deployed (basically I need something 100% fool proof incase my other backup methods fail). I like the idea of paying money for an application and remote storage and letting the provider handle everything so I don't have to ever check on it since this is my last safety line (I have 5 total backups of my important files ranging from proprietary NAS software to rsyncs so this will be the 6th copy on infrastructure I don't own and the only one that will have versioning).

CFarence said: What did you not like about btsync? I'm running syncthing with a backup server, my laptop, and my desktop and it keeps things in sync just fine. It requires a bit more setup, but is very simple to do.

The main issue I had with btsync was there was no way to lock down your data so that only you had access to it. Their main argument was that the key required to access your data was so long and random it would take years to guess it but when it comes to some really important data I can't take the chance of somebody getting lucky and getting access to them.

Ree said: I had the same behaviour, and it was from hitting the memory limit.

Thanks! When I read your comment I was like "this doesn't apply to me but I'll check anyways" and sure enough I hit the 1 million file limit 2 months ago when this started happening. I increased the memory limit and now my files are backing up, unfortunately the tray icon still says "Unable to connect to the backup engine" even though if I login to the app it's still backing up fine so I might need to do a re-install again to fix that. I'm still looking for alternatives though just because it's never a bad idea to have more backups. :)

dragon2611 said: I'm currently using duplicati 2.x on my desktop along side spideroak for the important stuff like photo's and docs.

I checked out SpiderOak but the price was to high for it ($12/month or $129/year for the plan that fit my needs). I was reading about Duplicati before I found SpiderOak and will check that out next.

henkb said: I'm using LiveDrive

Added to my list to check out.

Riz said: Carbonite?

I couldn't find anything on their website about using my own encryption keys, file versioning, or their network.

4n0nx said: Just rsync..?

I already have this setup, I was looking for something more robust and I want it synced in real time as the files are changing versus on a schedule.

Added to my list also.

Thanks everybody for your assistance so far. :)

So after over 24 hours of backing up my files, BackBlaze has managed to backup 159MB over my 1Gbps port... I'm glad they have a free trial because this is depressing.

• @KuJoe said:
    So after over 24 hours of backing up my files, BackBlaze has managed to backup 159MB over my 1Gbps port... I'm glad they have a free trial because this is depressing.

Do they limit speed on the free trial, that could explain it?

• KuJoe said: Their main argument was that the key required to access your data was so long and random it would take years to guess it but when it comes to some really important data I can't take the chance of somebody getting lucky and getting access to them.

Large random numbers are the basis of all cryptography. If you have this irrational fear then no solution will work for you.

• Perhaps pogoplug? 1TB for $30 a year (they claim it's unlimited but in reality its 1TB then after that speeds are capped to around 1Mbps

• @KuJoe - Delimiter has three ways to handle backups:

1. R1Soft service - $4/month 100GB. Servers all have 10GE uplink
    2. ObjSpace - $9.80 500GB. Servers all have 10GE uplink and if you parallelise your uploads you can easily spread that across multiple object heads to get > 10GE
    3. Slothosting - $10/month you provide the disk. So provide the 6TB disk, its still $10/month. Its provided as KVM VPS with an SSD boot disk and your provided disk mounted as second disk. So you could run your choice of versioning filesystem or storage app.

I personally use ObjSpace with duply/duplicity from servers in London and Phoenix.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

KuJoe said: Thanks! When I read your comment I was like "this doesn't apply to me but I'll check anyways" and sure enough I hit the 1 million file limit 2 months ago when this started happening. I increased the memory limit and now my files are backing up, unfortunately the tray icon still says "Unable to connect to the backup engine" even though if I login to the app it's still backing up fine so I might need to do a re-install again to fix that. I'm still looking for alternatives though just because it's never a bad idea to have more backups. :)

My home Linux NAS has 16GB of RAM...10GB of it is for CrashPlan. Their backup engine is a pig, at least on Linux. It is very correlated to number of files.

Not always convenient, but I did take some archived projects with tons of little files and tar'd 'em up and it was happier.

• @MarkTurner can delimiter source the disk for slot hosting?

• dragon2611 said: can delimiter source the disk for slot hosting?

Yes, go to Amazon.com, find the disk you want and email [email protected] with the URL. They'll order the disk on your behalf. Price will be the same as Amazon, they'll just pass through the cost.

We have many disks in stock so we maybe able to provide it from stock anyway.

@wych said:
    Do they limit speed on the free trial, that could explain it?

Possibly, but it's capping out at 0.19Mbps which is pathetic even for a trial.

@ehab said:
    did you try seafile https://www.seafile.com/en/home/

Added to the list. :)

@Abdussamad said:
    Large random numbers are the basis of all cryptography. If you have this irrational fear then no solution will work for you.

Nothing irrational about wanting to whitelist IPs or having a 2 part system in place for syncing data. Guessing a large random number and another value is nearly impossible versus guessing a large random number by itself. In my experience only btsync has this flaw while every other option I've researched does not.

@TarZZ92 said:
    Perhaps pogoplug? 1TB for $30 a year (they claim it's unlimited but in reality its 1TB then after that speeds are capped to around 1Mbps

I actually have a PogoPlug my brother got me many years ago but never used it, might be worth looking into it again. :)

@MarkTurner said:
    KuJoe - Delimiter has three ways to handle backups:

1. R1Soft service - $4/month 100GB. Servers all have 10GE uplink
    2. ObjSpace - $9.80 500GB. Servers all have 10GE uplink and if you parallelise your uploads you can easily spread that across multiple object heads to get > 10GE
    3. Slothosting - $10/month you provide the disk. So provide the 6TB disk, its still $10/month. Its provided as KVM VPS with an SSD boot disk and your provided disk mounted as second disk. So you could run your choice of versioning filesystem or storage app.

I personally use ObjSpace with duply/duplicity from servers in London and Phoenix.

Thanks but not really in my price range and doesn't really meet my needs.

raindog308 said: Not always convenient, but I did take some archived projects with tons of little files and tar'd 'em up and it was happier.

I started doing this after I realized I was over the 1 million file mark. :)

• hubiC maybe ??

10TB only €50 incl. VAT/year

• @KuJoe said:
    Possibly, but it's capping out at 0.19Mbps which is pathetic even for a trial.

Are you using multiple threads on the uploader?

• Huge fan of CrashPlan, I have the family plan and am backing up multiple computers and servers.
    Once in a while, I have to reset the cache, but I otherwise haven't had any issues at all.
    Good luck in getting everything working or finding something that works better for you.

• KuJoe said: I already have this setup, I was looking for something more robust and I want it synced in real time as the files are changing versus on a schedule.

lsyncd syncs in real time one-way but I don't know if it has versioning.. (is it built on rsync? idk at all)

@camjac251 said:

Yes, I had the threads set to 6 because I wasn't sure if it was based on the number of cores I was using (I assumed for encryption). I'm guessing it's because I was using a trial because no matter what settings I used it always said "2GBytes/Day" at the top.

dgprasetya said: hubiC maybe ??

I have a free account with them but never got around to setting it up. I'll check them out again.

4n0nx said: lsyncd syncs in real time one-way but I don't know if it has versioning.. (is it built on rsync? idk at all)

Oops, I forgot to mention I'll be running this on Windows (I looked for a Windows version without any luck also).

• KuJoe said: Oops, I forgot to mention I'll be running this on Windows (I looked for a Windows version without any luck also).

Can probably use cygwin on Windows :) Pretty sure I did long ago.. (still do for rsync)

• ReeRee Member

@KuJoe said: The main issue I had with btsync was there was no way to lock down your data so that only you had access to it. Their main argument was that the key required to access your data was so long and random it would take years to guess it but when it comes to some really important data I can't take the chance of somebody getting lucky and getting access to them.

I've seen a lot of people worried about this. For the average joe, who use short alpha-only lowercase-only username and passwords, attackers are going to have a much easier time getting lucky and guessing a username+password combo compared to guessing a secret (which I believe is a 160bit random value).

If you use lengthy usernames and passwords, and you use upper+lower+numeric+symbols in one or both, then you're better off than the average joe and may be better protected by your complex username+password combo compared to the secret.

But the keyspace for 160 bits is so incomprehensibly massive that it really is good enough. The best way to imagine this space is to think about some of the IPv6 threads that have been on LET recently. In one of the threads I compared IPv4 to IPv6 by saying if IPv4 were an object the size of a credit card, IPv6 would be an object the size of our solar system. So IPv6 is huge.

Now IPv6 is only 128 bits though, so to get to 160 bits you need to double the size of the IPv6 address space, and now you're at 129 bits. So double that again to get to 130 bits. And then keep doubling that 30 more times. NOW you're at 160bits.

So long story short, the btsync secrets really aren't a problem. That said, I'm also irrationally paranoid and I still wish they had an option to require approval before a new client connects to the share :)

@Ree I know in practice the chances of somebody guessing a btsync secret is so small I shouldn't be worried but all they need is to get lucky and my credit is ruined, my family's SSNs are online, my bank and retirement accounts are empty, and my company is dead. I can't take that kind of risk no matter how small it is because a risk is a risk is a risk. I don't take risks I can avoid. :)

I understand people say "it would take millions of years to guess your secret blah blah blah" but that's only how long it will take to check every possible option and not how long it will take to determine my secret unless by some sheer stroke of luck my secret was the last possible secret they try which the chances of that happening are almost as impossible as them guessing my secret.

The sad part is that btsync could easily squash this highly debated concern by simply adding a second factor (even if it's just as simple as a username or e-mail address), enabling some IP whitelisting feature, or an approval system like you said.