Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RFB protocol error: reading version failed: not an RFB server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RFB protocol error: reading version failed: not an RFB server?

AsimAsim Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I requested a host to install one of the TurnkeyLinux templates to the XEN package and they have accepted my request. Now the issue is that TurnkeyLinux requires the root password and other such things to be set at first-boot.

The problem? I cannot VNC into the server because VNC/TightVNC etc gives me the following error
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/support/20121211/rfb-protocol-error-reading-version-failed-not-rfb-server

any help?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Sounds like a firewall issue to me. If you run "telnet [ip] [port]" you should get a return containing RFB if the VNC server is properly running and you can reach the port. For me I get a return of "RFB 003.003" from my VNC server.

Perhaps check netstat -l and verify that the server is listening.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Asim said: any help?

I believe the console in solus should still work ?

• @Maounique said: I believe the console in solus should still work ?

It does work but I cannot specify a password because the screen pretty much is like the image below

• @jarland said: Sounds like a firewall issue to me.

NO, thats not the case. I can VNC into it but it seems like the KVM vnc and XEN console are very different although they may seem the same.

I tried uvnc because it does support such on XEN but it did not work either :(

I would try this:
    1. Specify pass (123)
    2. TAB
    3. do 123 again.
    4. enter.
    It may work even if you dont see anything, normally the console grabs your input.

• Thanks @Maounique but it did not work as well :(

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sorry I was thinking inside OS, not external console. Guessing you already asked the provider about it.

• @jarland said: Guessing you already asked the provider about it.

to be honest, I did not ... since this is a global issue with XEN and not something that the host can help me with

Try various combinations:
    123 enter 123 enter
    tab tab tab enter (asuming there is a next button below)
    Things like those, be creative :)
    Other VPSes with console work with the provider ? Might be some firewalling there to prevent ppl from using external viewers.
    try directing your browser there and see if a java applet loads (http://ip:59xx (port))
    May the guess be strong in you !

• @Maounique said: Try various combinations:

Tried all combinations but failed. Hence crying over at this community to see if someone has a solution to this problem

@Maounique said: May the guess be strong in you !

LOL, thanks

• onepoundonepound Member
    edited December 2012

@Asim

Try running the scripts in /usr/lib/inithooks/firstboot.d from a SSH session

turnkey-init will also rerun all the firstboot time scripts. These display fine for me under a XEN-PV test box via SSH

• @onepound said: from a SSH session

Tried doing the following as per your suggestion

1) Reset root password in SolusVM
    2) Reboot
    3) Login via SSH
    4) run the firstboot script

Does not work because its still pegged at the ssh-login and tells me the connection to ssh server is refused :S