Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

quick question about dns records > vps.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

quick question about dns records > vps.

krs360krs360 Member
edited December 2012 in General

I have a VPS which I plan on using to host files for my website, I've registered the domain today.

I've created an A record inside my domain registrars control panel to point the domain to my VPS. What else will I need to do? or is it simply a case of waiting for the records to update?

I know LET is not a helpdesk but this place is full of knowledgeable people who are very quick to reply and a minimal amount of trolls ;)

Cheers.

Comments

• Flush your DNS cache and you're set. :)

• Everything should be fine however you can also confirm this by going to intodns.com and typing your domain name.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited December 2012

It gets to the bottom and complains then of Reverse MX A records (PTR) not being there and WWW A Record - no A record but it does say anything recently added may not show, apart from that there don't seem to be any other issues.

I used to use no-ip previously and adding the A record always seemed very quick..

I've added the A record inside crazydomain.co.uk's panel and it says at the bottom it may take up to, two hours, however the mx for the email forwarding seemed instant.

• @krs360 said: WWW A Record - no A record

You should add a record for 'www' if you want people to access your site via both domain.com and www.domain.com.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited December 2012

I have two A records
    vps.dominname.co.uk > IP of VPS
    www.domainname.co.uk > IP of VPS

That should suffice?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@krs360 said: I have two A records

vps.dominname.co.uk > IP of VPS
    www.domainname.co.uk > IP of VPS

That should suffice?

You should also add a CNAME record for domainname.co.uk (without any prefix) that points to www.domainname.co.uk. In most panels this is achieved by entering a "@" as the name.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited December 2012

When I look at the CNAME options on crazy-domains its basically
    [blank box - assuming sub domain].domainname.co.uk ...................... alias for > [blank box]

Is there anything I need to do from my VPS to match up to this?

@krs360 said: When I look at the CNAME options on crazy-domains its basically

[blank box - assuming sub domain].domainname.co.uk ...................... alias for > [blank box]

Try entering a "@ in the first box, and www.domainname.co.uk" in the second.

@krs360 said: Is there anything I need to do from my VPS to match up to this?

Not necessarily. Your HTTPd may require vhost configuration though. You'll have to read up on the docs for your HTTPd for that.

• I think it would be sensible to let the A records register correctly if there are still issues at that point I'll look to the VPS. It is managed so shouldn't be too much drama on that front.

"Try entering a "@ in the first box, and www.domainname.co.uk" in the second."
    Comes back with invalid sub-domain.

@krs360 said: "Try entering a "@ in the first box, and www.domainname.co.uk" in the second."

You'll have to check up on the documentation of your registrar then. It should be somewhere in there.

• @krs360 said: "Try entering a "@ in the first box, and www.domainname.co.uk" in the second."

Leave the subdomain box blank. That usually works.

• you can try * and %

• It cries over there being no sub domain.

I'll give it 24 hours - thanks for all the help people, much appreciated.

• or
    domain.com in A 1.2.44.5
    www.domain.com in cname domain.com
    blah.domain.com in cname domain.com

whenever you change the first domain.com A record, the rest will have the same IP address.

I think someone else said something like that, but with a bunch of tl;dr