Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WIndows host based virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WIndows host based virtualization?

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited December 2012 in General

Do you know any virtualization platform for windows based server?
I see that Hyper-v exist in current time, is there any other windows based you know?
Not like vmware workstation or oracle virtualbox i need to know some production based windows host based virtualization?

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

@raihan0888 said: is there any other windows based

Windows is closed source, only Microsoft can properly use it.
    Most people think: why not use Linux as you virtualize everything anyway.
    VMWare is an operation system on itself just like XenServer.
    OpenVZ, LXC, Xen, VirtualBox and KVM are just Linux kernel edits/modules.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Is your requirement that it run on top of Windows or just that it be able to serve Windows VMs? If it's the first one, I think you've listed your options. Personally I think Windows overhead is too high if you're not going to use hyper-v.

• VirtualBox, go for that one.

• @raihan0888 said: Not like vmware workstation or oracle virtualbox i need to know some production based windows host based virtualization?

@darknessends said: VirtualBox, go for that one.

• @jarland said: Is your requirement that it run on top of Windows or just that it be able to serve Windows VMs? If it's the first one, I think you've listed your options. Personally I think Windows overhead is too high if you're not going to use hyper-v.

yes.Its need to run top of windows.Because i dont know much about linux.if it linux lots of security and other situation maybe arise.how i secure them.thats why i search for windows based and easy dont need to put any command by type. :).sorry i dont understand "Windows overhead"

@raihan0888 said: sorry i dont understand "Windows overhead"

Just meaning that the initial Windows installation takes a much larger chunk of your system resources, because you end up with this whole desktop operating system that you don't really need if your focus is virtualization.

VirtualBox might give you the best early experimentation, but you won't learn much about other virtualization techniques from it. Perhaps consider at some point getting Proxmox installed on a system for you to toy with. It's linux, but the best way to learn is to get your hands dirty ;)

• @BronzeByte said: Windows is closed source, only Microsoft can properly use it.

Most people think: why not use Linux as you virtualize everything anyway.
    VMWare is an operation system on itself just like XenServer.
    OpenVZ, LXC, Xen, VirtualBox and KVM are just Linux kernel edits/modules.

i dont know much about linux.if it linux lots of security and other situation maybe arise.how i secure them?thats why i search for windows based and its easy i dont need to put any command by typing.Is xenserver and vmware host server need to securing?

• @jarland said: Proxmox installed on a system for you to toy with.

few month ago i heard about proxmox that is also linux based :( virtualbox allow me to use as a major hyperv,vmware like feature?

@raihan0888 said: virtualbox allow me to use as a major hyperv,vmware like feature?

VirtualBox is about as simple as you can get, you can install just about anything with it. It might prepare you slightly for future interaction with hyper-v.

• @jarland said: VirtualBox is about as simple as you can get, you can install just about anything with it. It might prepare you slightly for future interaction with hyper-v.

is virtual box allow me to use container as a rdp? and able to set dedicated ip?