Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Capacity HDD vs. Low Capacity SSD - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High Capacity HDD vs. Low Capacity SSD

2»

Comments

• @arminds said:
    Would you please clarify your experience with Digital Ocean? Do you mean even digital Ocean SSD can't serve low traffic sites?

Misunderstanding on your side.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Best answer. Provide both, and let the customers pick what they need and don't need. SSD caching is also a good option idea, IMO.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • andikliveandiklive Member
    edited October 2015

provide both or pure ssd and ssd-cache.

for me, i love ssd because if i have ex wallpaper site its more faster. it depend on client production project.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

@erkin said:
    Misunderstanding on your side.

Please explain.

• a vps with SSD does not get enough benefit for the cost involved. HDD are more reliable in case of a power failure or server problem. Some SSD won't go back online after a power failure, while a HDD will spin right up without an issue. SSD are much better on a dedicated hosting environment, such as a dedicated server, but on a vps it will only hike up the price for a small upside of performance

Thanked by 2arminds GM2015

@ceibaNet said:
    a vps with SSD does not get enough benefit for the cost involved. HDD are more reliable in case of a power failure or server problem. Some SSD won't go back online after a power failure, while a HDD will spin right up without an issue. SSD are much better on a dedicated hosting environment, such as a dedicated server, but on a vps it will only hike up the price for a small upside of performance

Thanks a lot for your valuable comment.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

ceibaNet said: HDD are more reliable in case of a power failure or server problem. Some SSD won't go back online after a power failure, while a HDD will spin right up without an issue.

Can you tell me what you smoked? HDDs are much more likely to fail at sudden power failure than SSDs.

ceibaNet said: but on a vps it will only hike up the price for a small upside of performance

Small? 500% in IO speed (100MB/s vs ~500-550MB/s) , 5000%+ for IOPS (~250 vs. 25000+), again, small? What did you smoke and where can i buy it?

Thanked by 1singsing

@William said:
    Small? 500% in IO speed (100MB/s vs ~500-550MB/s) , 5000%+ for IOPS (~250 vs. 25000+), again, small? What did you smoke and where can i buy it?

:D So again, what do you recommend? SSD Cached, Pure SSD or Staying with HDD?

• Isn't that obvious? SSD for performance/busy read writes, HDD for storage and sites where there's low disk io requirement.

arminds said: :D So again, what do you recommend? SSD Cached, Pure SSD or Staying with HDD?

Thanked by 1arminds
  • @arminds said:
    :D So again, what do you recommend? SSD Cached, Pure SSD or Staying with HDD?

SSD cached if you want to have something "faster but more economical (more storage space and cheaper to get)". Pure SSD if you want something fast, with less storage space. Depends on node capacity and your client/target base.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • If you can make up your mind about things, go with pure SSD or pure HDD. If you can't, choose SSD Cached.

Thanked by 1arminds

@singsing said:
    If you can make up your mind about things, go with pure SSD or pure HDD. If you can't, choose SSD Cached.

Still couldn't find a guide to create a cache pool for multiple LVMs. The only available documentations are talking about 1 cache pool for 1 LVM.

• arminds said: Still couldn't find a guide to create a cache pool for multiple LVMs. The only available documentations are talking about 1 cache pool for 1 LVM.

Most cache at the raid card level, LSI's cachecade, or a home baked way, look at flashcache https://github.com/facebook/flashcache/

@miTgiB said:
    Most cache at the raid card level, LSI's cachecade, or a home baked way, look at flashcache https://github.com/facebook/flashcache/

Thanks a lot, I will check it out.

• Should note that i DID have data loss with Flashcache before - The LSI HW implementation (can't talk about Adaptec, never used and theirs is rather new) was more stable.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • Should suggest High Capacity SSD VPS to affordable customer, sure it have more advantage than the rest. Have to suggest the best one to customer.