Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

install commands aren't finishing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

install commands aren't finishing

vtwvtw Member
edited November 2011 in Help

I'm trying to execute commands like

sudo yum install xfce4 xfdesktop

apt-get install aptitude

but they aren't giving any output. The terminal isn't frozen because I can use Control + Z

What's causing this?

I looked at top, and apt-get is using 21% MEM. ps aux agrees on this.

Overall % MEM used is high, over 50%

If it makes any difference, I'm running VNC as a service but I don't have a desktop (VNC client shows blank screen so I'm guessing it isn't using a lot of memory like I hear it does). In ps aux, Xvnc is taking 7% MEM.

free -t -m says 211 used, 44 free -- guessing this is not good considering I only have 128 MB guaranteed RAM on this OpenVZ

PS

Do processes keep running if I close my SSH client (putty)?

What happens to processes if I run them in background but they need input? E.g. if yum install xterm & required a y/N input, is there a way to access the process?

Comments

• @vtw do you have any clue what you intend to do and achieve in the first place ?

• I'm kinda new to all these but aren't yum & apt-get for different distros?

• yeap... totally diff distros

• @vtw said: 128 MB guaranteed RAM on this OpenVZ

That is not enough RAM to run a GUI + VNC.

• @vtw: I'm trying to execute commands

yum = CentOS, apt-get = Debian/Ubuntu

Which distro are you using?

free -t -m says 211 used, 44 free

Use "top" to see what processes are running and taking up a lot of memory

@BeyondAllKnowledge: That is not enough RAM to run a GUI + VNC.

You can run VNC and Fluxbox or IceWM in about 60 mb.

• I'm on Fedora 15. The reason why I try to have yum, apt and aptitude is that I take installation commands from Google results, and if one has some complication I use another.

I am trying to install xfce, and the aptitude command for it looks more favourable (but I can't figure out how to install aptitude either). That's not the point though; the point is why do the commands seem to result in idling.

I used "top", and no single process other than apt-get was taking more than 10%. Several were on 6%.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

I think you need to learn what all the commands do.

If I give you a command to delete all your disk probably you will execute it? that isn't ok.

And btw, aptitude is aprox equal than apt-get

Answering your two questions, first no, your process will end if you exit. And second, there is no way to access again to your process if it requires input, but research about the screen command.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

Yum = CentOS / Red Hat / Fedora

Apt-Get = Debian / Ubuntu

Also, I did do this some time back, Run,

apt-get install yum

on Debian and after it installs,
    You will be able to run yum based commands such as :

yum install httpd

even on debian.

• fanfan Veteran

Do processes keep running if I close my SSH client (putty)?

Try screen if you want to have the process running even after logging out your ssh session.