Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any have gear / on site at Datashack in Kansas City?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any have gear / on site at Datashack in Kansas City?

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited December 2012 in General

Looking for anyone that has an old 1U Opteron that they might want to part with or that goes on site to Datashack in Kansas City.

I am in a rather strange situation. We have a server down at Datashack in Kansas City.

The facility hands on folks seem unable to perform a swap of a failed CPU fan that is causing overheating and shutdown of the server. It's a colocated server and they say they don't mix their hardware with colo'd equipment. Mind you willing to buy the parts and pay the admin time.

My options are to wait until "billing" comes in to decide what they will or won't do or order a dedicated server and wait 2 days.

Hands on would be ideal, but if not, a live already there Opteron 2xx series will suffice.

Anyone have anything?

PS: Mind you, admins toying around the server should have noted the fan churn. This started at 5AM and we didn't get told about the audible sound until 8-9PM. 15-16 hours here ongoing.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

I would actually thoroughly recommending GTFO of Datashack and finding a new host. If you need KC connectivity, Joe's Datacenter is nearby, and very friendly and helpful.

• About to go lug the family out to the car and drive there in person to give them the middle finger.

Epic failure.

I've worked in datacenters in past. We never pulled this sort of stuff on customers. A fan is < $5. That doesn't require executive authorization.

Shame, I've been a customer there for a while and didn't bark when there were whole day power outages, miscellaneous network issues, etc. Never requested much from them.

I emailed Joe to see if he's interested in picking us up and fishing us out of the mess. We'll see.

• I've got their 8 core, 32gb Opteron idling if that means anything. It's one of their servers they offer, I'm just keeping an eye on the uptime.

You can blow away the data, reinstall what you want, etc.

• sounds like you're not worth their fan-swap time. host swap!

• Lets see if they are still active here @datashack

• The server I shipped out to them just arrived today. They're setting it up right now. The support is decent for what you pay, no comment on the service (network, power, etc) yet, though.

• @Spencer said: Lets see if they are still active here @datashack

Doubt it, it's probably some day after a national holiday in a small country that nobody can find on a map so the sales department decided to take the day off to make it a 4 day weekend like they do with the Friday after Thanksgiving

• @bamn Actually I was just talking with the support team, they are in fact on duty.

• @bamn

Hehehe. Funny.

• twaintwain Member
    edited December 2012

Most hosts would love to charge you $25 for a $5 fan... plus the 1hr min.. what are they thinking.. wouldn't be surprised if there are just a coupla lazy noc techs on duty

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

There's no doubt support folks are there. At least one and there is another in some other capacity floating.

Nothing against them though. Support guys tonight are way better than one from this morning, who wasn't there and took over 2 hours to get there. Or at least to come back to the ticket.

At least tonights support noted the fan noise and I did the debugging from there on. The server hits temps so quick if I don't see it up immediately, no time to do anything with it. Without that I'd be scratching my head.

Problem is whatever management policy on things. Won't mix hardware, can't swap a fan. It's a bad Three Stooges comedy. Solution, don't colo, rent a server. Okay, when? 2 days from now. Uggh. NOT A SOLUTION.

In 2 days time I could pick the server up, repair it and drop it off anywhere in the country. This isn't a hard f88king thing for someone to handle. Bet my 5 year old could swap the fan in 16 hours and work the ticket to resolution.

• Well, I'd call it a miracle about to happen.

Someone at Datashack saw our server down again and is offering to get it remedied and deal with the billing later. I'd cross my fingers, but they are in knots from a long day.

I am from the school of belief that life isn't about how we all behave when it is sunnny and warm, but rather how we deal with the worst of times when things are tumbling and falling and the pressure is on. I'm not always graceful in these times (well when things are far out of arms reach), but I am appreciative to those that have been kind to offer input and even servers.

Great little community we have here :)

• I keep boxes idling for events like this.

• I keep them too :) Just happens to be we are on a bender for breakage in the past 10 days. Lots of moving and shuffling and all my tracking, accounting, etc. has been thrown in disarray and I have multi TB sized MySQL database waiting to get fixed elsewhere.

Raining and pouring :( Unsure how folks keep up with everything from a functional hands-on management role.

• I personally wouldn't put any equipment in Datashack's tech hands, atleast by renting they are potientally damaging their own equipment.

Some of them are clueless, but then adam, bob and others seem more experienced.

• Adam got involved in our issue late tonight. He's a real class act. Can't speak highly enough here about him. They need a fleet of admins like him and things would be stellar there.

• Yeah, he will solve your problems.