Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is IPv6 available from your home/office network? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is IPv6 available from your home/office network?

2»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    How do you choose the last 64 bits of your ipv6 address? Is it automatically, via SLAAC? If yes, there is no privacy - everyone knows your MAC address and can track you based on this information.

There is no privacy. These days it's just about the effort. What a point in changing IPs constantly if your port can be mirrored to an appropriate agency anyway or the optics on the way tapped ?

There is no point. If someone does something shady enough to justify such practices, law enforcement would likely have enough determination to close in on such person anyway, and they will have the means to do it.

• @Clouvider of course, there is no privacy from law enforcement agencies. But there should be some privacy from random third party websites that want to track your visits and identify you based on your IP address / MAC address. Knowing your MAC address makes it even easier for them, no need to use cookies.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

In the IP overview I have a fixed /56 that I cannot change or directly use. It was assigned by DTAG as the pool for the /64 that I can change and use. The router picks a new /64 out of that pool on every disconnect at privacy level 2 along with a new IPv4. On privacy level 1 the last 64 bits of the assigned /64 just get changed and I keep my old IPv4. Privacy level 0 leaves everything as is - like a static setup. I can activate ULA for all devices. Privacy extension is supported. Full dual stack so I can do port opening and forwarding on both protocols. None of my devices picks IPs by SLAAC but other family members have older Android devices where it does pick the IPs by SLAAC (all Android >=4.1 & < 5.0).

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited October 2015

I can enable ipv6 but isp deploy using 6rd but somehow its slower than tunneling using he.net so I disabled it.

• Guys I have to correct some information. Since the last firmware update the period of the disconnect was changed to 4 days from the former 1 day.

Here is the privacy level 2 explanation:
    "Level 2

Regular changes of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses makes it difficult for Operators of web sites to monitor your Internet activity. For this purpose, this advanced feature disconnects your Internet connection every four days (2:00 to 5:00 clock at night) for a few seconds. The current Internet activities, including IP-based telephony, were interrupted by this. Afterwards, a new IPv4 address and an IPv6 prefix will be assigned to your connection.

Of course, you can disconnect and re-establish the Internet connection at any time.

To allow the proper operation of this protection function, the options 'Privacy Extensions' or 'Temporary IP address' must be activated in the devices with which you surf the Internet. This is the case in general.

Tip:
    Turn off the policy, if there is interference in the use of Internet, telephony or Entertain.

For interested persons:
    The IPv4 address and the IPv6 prefix will be assigned completely new every 96 hours."

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Guys I have to correct some information. Since the last firmware update the period of the disconnect was changed to 4 days from the former 1 day.

Here is the privacy level 2 explanation:
    "Level 2

Regular changes of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses makes it difficult for Operators of web sites to monitor your Internet activity. For this purpose, this advanced feature disconnects your Internet connection every four days (2:00 to 5:00 clock at night) for a few seconds. The current Internet activities, including IP-based telephony, were interrupted by this. Afterwards, a new IPv4 address and an IPv6 prefix will be assigned to your connection.

Of course, you can disconnect and re-establish the Internet connection at any time.

To allow the proper operation of this protection function, the options 'Privacy Extensions' or 'Temporary IP address' must be activated in the devices with which you surf the Internet. This is the case in general.

Tip:
    Turn off the policy, if there is interference in the use of Internet, telephony or Entertain.

For interested persons:
    The IPv4 address and the IPv6 prefix will be assigned completely new every 96 hours."

Any pointers of how you achieved this?

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@0xdragon said:
    Any pointers of how you achieved this?

It's my ISP DTAG. I use their hardware. A Speedport W724 V. They have everything up and running on their pure IP contracts. Native IPv6 with full dual stack. That privacy settings were added around the beginning of 2015 in a firmware update.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

A dynamic IPv6 prefix is horrible, but unfortunately many ISPs do that. But please don't purport this as being some sort of a "privacy" feature, there's plenty of ways to track you aside from the IP address. (e.g. do you block all cookies? no? thought so). It's just a major inconvenience and a security(privacy?) theater if you don't know any better.

• @rm_ said:
    A dynamic IPv6 prefix is horrible, but unfortunately many ISPs do that. But please don't purport this as being some sort of a "privacy" feature, there's plenty of ways to track you aside from the IP address. (e.g. do you block all cookies? no? thought so). It's just a major inconvenience and a security(privacy?) theater if you don't know any better.

Blocking all cookies is a bit problematic. How am I supposed to even login here with cookies blocked :D? Or on other sites with login. E-mails and etc. I block 3rd party cookies everywhere though.

• In my opinion no residential ISP seriously cares about IPv6 in my country, unfortunately...

• Oh, okay.

• @Nixtren said:
    In my opinion no residential ISP seriously cares about IPv6 in my country, unfortunately...

When every residential user is equipped with IPv6, I guess IPv6 servers will started to be accepted.

• Office: Dynamic prefix over 6rd
    Home: Static /48 since may 2010...

• Tunnel @ Home. No native from ISP (Virgin Media).

• mpompo Member

elgs said: When every residential user is equipped with IPv6, I guess IPv6 servers will started to be accepted.

Gonna take years for ipv6 only server to be viable.

In the meantime if you need an ipv4 and everyone can use ipv4, why bother with ipv6?

Doesn't make much sense to me..

• @mpo said:
    Doesn't make much sense to me..

It will significantly reduce the cost of the hosting industry. Yes, everybody can use IPv4, but don't forget everybody has to pay for the IPv4 whatsoever.

• My home ISP (GVT, Global Village Telecom) does have IPv6 support on all layers of their network, but it's not enabled nor available under request for residential users.

My workplace (where I study) is located at the Universidade Federal da Bahia (Federal University of Bahia), the network core of the ReMeSSa Network (that operates the metropolitan optic-fiber ring and is on the same building as the operational center of the PoP-BA/RNP, providing network resources for academic institutions on the entire state). We do have IPv6 operating on the entire ReMeSSa network what means that at least all the academic institutions here already operate on IPv6 from LAN to WAN, as the entire RNP (National Network of Education and Research) above us operates natively on IPv6 too.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Time Warner Cable has native IPv6 in my area - they provide a routed /64. Works pretty well.

• blackblack Member
    edited October 2015

AT&T U-Verse has native IPv6 with a /64 rolled out in my area.

• mpompo Member

elgs said: It will significantly reduce the cost of the hosting industry. Yes, everybody can use IPv4, but don't forget everybody has to pay for the IPv4 whatsoever.

It will but in the meantime we are stuck using IPv4 until every provider supports it...

• yes for both, but IPv6 is not yet fully in used and implemented while IPv4 is enough to use for now.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited October 2015

Comcast Business Class has native IPv6. I disable it and enable it as needed, such as for IPv6 testing.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

IPv6 will be available on my LAN when IPv4 stops working.

I don't mean to be difficult but there are a lot of priorities to juggle and IPv6 is not even close to the top of the list right now.

Thanked by 2mpo doughmanes
  • By total coincidence, the same ISP is used at home and at the office, and IPv6 is available at neither.

• Here is what I am getting at home off my Asus router connected to Comcast. At work, I've disabled IPv6 on all devices on the domain network. We also use only one public IP.

IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
                  WAN IPv6 Address: 2001:558:6040:66:dead:beef:deed:feed
                  WAN IPv6 Gateway: fe80::201:5cff:dead:beef
                  LAN IPv6 Address: 2601:280:dead:beef::1/64
       LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address: fe80::7a24:afff:dead:beef/64
                           DHCP-PD: Enabled
                   LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2601:280:dead:beef::/64
                       DNS Address: 2001:558:feed::1 2001:558:feed::2

• @singsing - how do you define stops working? it will probably never be switched off, it will just become more and more useless.

• tehdan said: how do you define stops working?

when there are things I actually need that work on ipv6 but not ipv4. to put things in perspective, I don't "need" youtube.

• @VPSSoldiers
    Yea time warner sucks, I am disconnected atleast once a day for 5-50 minutes and there packages are expensive (I pay $130 a month for triple play, basic tv, phone and 100 mb/ 20 mb internet) I really dislike them but verizon wants $300 upfront and the hell with verizon lol.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Yes for home - on several of my lines.

Yes for work.