Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro

13»

Comments

• @mnpeep said: Yes, that was my thread ;)

It's a small world!

• there are actually a lot of fake muskin drives around.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2013

@zsero

Seems like a rare case. The M4 is known to be one of the most reliable SSDs in the market. Also, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe this was known issue and they released a firmware update promptly after finding this out?

I've been running two 64 gig M4s for over 2 years now, with no issues. I usually abuse the crap out of them and they still work like new.

• zserozsero Member

@NateN34 said: The M4 is known to be one of the most reliable SSDs in the market.

That's what I thought as well. When the thing happened (latest FW), I immediately called Crucial and ask for a RMA, since I was sure it must be a fault in my unit. The funny thing what surprised me was the totally laid-back and relaxed atmosphere as they've explained that these things are perfectly normal. From that I thought I might not be alone with this, so if this is considered normal, I prefer not to buy an other Crucial again.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@shovenose said: Kingston would be the better choice.

I would avoid Kingston. We've had a ton of them fail. A customer of ours wanted a bunch of them as OS drives, and we've had to RMA quite a few them.

• Cheap-as-dirt OCZ SSD from newegg in my laptop has been perfect since June 2012. Just my $0.02 ;)

• We use the Samsung 840 Pro's and get about 950-1000Mb/s in a RAID10 configuration.

• @Brightbull said: We use the Samsung 840 Pro's and get about 950-1000Mb/s in a RAID10 configuration.

What DD test are you using?

I get about the same on a 1GB file in 8MB sectors.

With serverbear's DD test, I get about 650mb/s

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@zsero said: "No, these things are perfectly normal with an SSD!"

What.

• BrightbullBrightbull Member
    edited March 2013

@mnpeep I used Serverbear > http://bit.ly/ZZWMir (922mb/s)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

I used Raid 10 Samsung 840 pro and i like it here is the test result

[root@D05 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.41293 s, 760 MB/s

• @Brightbull @key900

Probably something to do with the RAID card then, I'll make some adjustments once the actual server is online.

• @key900 said: I used Raid 10 Samsung 840 pro and i like it here is the test result

What RAID card are you using? How many SSDs?

• Do you guys know of any tools I can use to check how much juice I have left on my SSDs?

• @Brandon said: Do you guys know of any tools I can use to check how much juice I have left on my SSDs?

You can use SMART to figure that out, that's how I do it.

• @mnpeep said: You can use SMART to figure that out, that's how I do it.

For Windows though?

• @Brandon said: For Windows though?

Smart works for linux, windows, and mac