Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't understand the clock speed of my dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I don't understand the clock speed of my dedicated

Hello!

There is a difference between what cpubenchmark.net reports and what my system says about the clock speed of the CPU (Opteron 1356):

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thanks!

Comments

• Speedstep (or whatever AMD's equivalent is).
    The CPU clock is automatically reduced when the CPU is idle, to save power. When you put some CPU load on it it will automatically speed up the clock.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • CoolnQuiet or some form of power saving may be enabled.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Issam2204 said: Sorry if this has already been asked.

Don't worry, only a hundred times or so.

Your best bet is to disregard the answers above and make a ticket asking why they scammed you on the CPU MHz

• Debian does the same thing on my laptop.

• sinsin Member

Set cpu governor to performance instead of ondemand.

• @sin said:
    Set cpu governor to performance instead of ondemand.

Yep, just run:

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ; done
  • @rm_ said:
    Your best bet is to disregard the answers above and make a ticket asking why they scammed you on the CPU MHzMHz

Thanks for the meaningful contribution.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • I'm getting this on a time4vps vps:

processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 63
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    stepping        : 2
    microcode       : 46
    cpu MHz         : 1173.995

I'm hitting the CPU pretty hard with 90+% utilisation. Is this something I should be expecting to see?

• I'm getting this on a time4vps vps:

processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 63
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    stepping        : 2
    microcode       : 46
    cpu MHz         : 1173.995

I'm hitting the CPU pretty hard with 90+% utilisation. Is this something I should be expecting to see?

• @wwabbit said:
    I'm getting this on a time4vps vps:

If im correct they are using OpenVZ, so probably have the plan CPU limited to a % of a CPU core to stop someone abusing all CPU resources.

• I guessed as much... So much for 2x 2.4ghz dedicated cpu as advertised, but I'm sure they will justify it by redefining what a dedicated cpu is.

• Good luck getting a refund for your CPU rip-off - I've been trying to return my new Porsche for a month because it doesn't always drive at 120mph but they keep saying its normal.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @tehdan said:
    Good luck getting a refund for your CPU rip-off - I've been trying to return my new Porsche for a month because it doesn't always drive at 120mph but they keep saying its normal.

That's not a low end car. The example that doesn't make sense.

Thanked by 1QuadraNet_Adam
  • http://www.servernoobs.com/avoiding-cpu-speed-scaling-in-modern-linux-distributions-running-cpu-at-full-speed-tips/ should help you.
    This is what dacentec guys gave me when I asked them about CPU frequency :)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

wwabbit said: I'm hitting the CPU pretty hard with 90+% utilisation. Is this something I should be expecting to see?

Our monitoring system limiting CPU usage, due to the fact that your VPS is abusing node CPU with buggy script(s), because you have constant 90%+ load. What application(s) do you host?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@time4vps said:

I don't understand this, if you offer 2* 2400Mhz cpus, as DEDICATED then why cant they fully utilize them? There are applications that may need to max out cores.. Transcoding for example.

edited October 2015

pbgben said: ...why cant they fully utilize them?

Of course you can. But do not ignore the fact that you have VPS, not dedicated server. In order to stop resource abuse, we do not allow to use 100% CPU more then 1 hour constantly. Usually, most applications require 100% CPU for short period of time.

For video transcoding tasks consider dedicated server.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

pbgben said: I don't understand this, if you offer 2* 2400Mhz cpus, as DEDICATED then why cant they fully utilize them? There are applications that may need to max out cores.. Transcoding for example.

Heh, don't ask a VPS provider to explain what "dedicated" means exactly. Or at least, if you do, be prepared for a fairly off-the-wall interpretation.

Good enough that the CPU is theoretically capable of that processing speed.

• Well, there are two problems here. One is false advertising by the provider, using the word "dedicated" for something that is not dedicatd. Second is unrealistic expectations by the client. You can't reasonably expect to get two dedicated CPU cores at that price.

rds100 said: One is false advertising by the provider, using the word "dedicated" for something that is not dedicatd.

We allow to use ordered CPU resources 100%. But we will definitely not allow to abuse it by constant hammering with services like crypto currency mining, video transcoding or any other service who requires fully dedicated environment.

Soon, we will introduce few solutions for high-end demand! :)

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

time4vps said: We allow to use ordered CPU resources 100%

time4vps said: But we will definitely not allow to abuse it by constant hammering

See what I mean?

I think what he actually meant for the first part is something like "we 100% allow the use of ordered CPU resources".

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2015

So, we learned @time4vps throttle the CPU to 50% of core on detecting 60min+ maxed out cpu, to maintain QoS for everyone.

I actually prefer this provider approach rather than suspending the VPS or asking client to move overnight.

Wable does something similar; plus they auto-raise a ticket to let the client know about (last cpu event was over a year ago from runaway rsyslogd before @incero fixed the template)

I've tested backing up my Kimsufi to time4vps storageVPS at 90Mbps constant; Total Load-Avg hovered at 0.20 even with SSH overhead. (and that's on a 1.9GHz E5 cpu )

When combined with encryption-capable backup utilities, @time4vps are brilliant value for money.

Once they roll out KVM on RAID10 SSD, I'll give that a try too.

Automation is the way forward for sharing pooled resources.

• From what I see the CPU freq drops by 10% every hour until bottoming out at 1.2GHz. A reboot will bring it back up to 2.4GHz, so theoretically that can be abused by rebooting every hour. No, I'm not really going to do that :p

When I started working on my project, I wasn't sure where I will be bottlenecked. Time4vps looked like a good place to start after looking through these forums, great pricing and there was the lure of 'dedicated cpu'. Now I know it's not suitable for my needs so I'm currently waiting for a dedi server I've ordered to be provisioned.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@Issam2204 said:
    Thanks for the meaningful contribution.

Thanks for taking the time to search or even trying to use google before asking. It's a pretty nice tool actually, you should try it! Click the link below to learn how to use Google!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cpu+speed+is+lower+in+linux

• Every thread brings something new. As you can see we learned somthing new about Time4VPS. No offense, but..stfu.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

vimalware said: So, we learned @time4vps throttle the CPU to 50% of core on detecting 60min+ maxed out cpu, to maintain QoS for everyone.

Yes, and now it would be wonderful if they removed the big fat lie about "DEDICATED" cores on 3 EUR VPSes from anywhere on the website and promotion materials. Else this is basically scam plain and simple, it's not dedicated unless you can use 100% of it 24x7 with no limits of any kind.

• @rm_ said:
    Yes, and now it would be wonderful if they removed the big fat lie about "DEDICATED" cores on 3 EUR VPSes from anywhere on the website and promotion materials.

Yeah. @time4vps

@wwabbit said:
    From what I see the CPU freq drops by 10% every hour until bottoming out at 1.2GHz.

IMO, that's a generous system.

Does the cpuMhz reset to original after, say, 24hrs of low-load?

Having to reboot is annoying.

edited October 2015

vimalware said: Having to reboot is annoying.

At the moment VPS restart is the only way to remove limitation. We are improving our monitoring system, thank you for note regarding it.

Do you have services with us? Are you experiencing any problems regarding CPU usage?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015

you need to fix your slider price quotes, there is no 8GHZ CPU.

Thanked by 1vimalware