Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

servdiscount review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

servdiscount review

NexHostNexHost Member
edited October 2015 in General

Hi,

I'd like to share my short review about servdiscount. not sure if they are owned by Myloc directly. but so far it has been great. and the pricing is awesome also.

I bought the following machine for 22 Euro

I5-750
 8GB RAM
 2x 1TB
 DDoS Filtering
 1Gbps Port

The machine was setup within a couple of hours of ordering. and every ticket I logged got a response back fairly quick. what I like the most is that they don't have a MAC Restricted network. and it's fairly easy to configure and setup the VMs without any modifications that you would have to do with Hetzner or OVH. How ever I have never used hetzner directly. Just managed machines for clients who have machines with Hetzner.

Network is good but is not that great for International Traffic. I was getting 2MB/s from Germany to Los Angeles uploading a Large file via FTP. apart from that the speeds are great for most locations.

System Information
 ------------------
 Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz
 CPU Cores: 4
 Frequency:  1197.000 MHz
 Memory: 7917 MB
 Swap: 15624 MB
 Uptime:   5 days, 16:19,

Arch: x86_64 (64 Bit)
 Kernel: 3.13.0-65-generic
 Hostname: p031

Speedtest IPv4 only
 -------------------
 Your public IPv4 is 85.114.133.xx

CDN - nearest location:
 Download speed from Cachefly: 65.4MB/s

America - United States:
 Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta, GA: 2.98MB/s
 Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.00MB/s
 Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.12MB/s
 Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.67MB/s 
 Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.83MB/s

Asia:
 Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 4.42MB/s
 Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.96MB/s

Europe:
 Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, Netherlands: 55.7MB/s
 Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, Netherlands: 40.1MB/s

Drive Speed:
 ------------
 I/O (1st attempt):  91.3 MB/s
 I/O (2nd attempt):  92.3 MB/s
 I/O (3rd attempt):  96.5 MB/s
 Average I/O: 93.3667 MB/s

Comments

• I'm going to assume it's a dedicated box?

How long have you been with them? Uptime says 5 days..

Depending on the timeframe you've been with them, I'll base this off 5 days .. You cannot review or judge a provider until something goes wrong or hasn't gone wrong for more than 6 months (IMO).

Honestly, when things so south, you'll see their true colours.

• @ATHK said:
    I'm going to assume it's a dedicated box?

Yes

How long have you been with them? Uptime says 5 days..

Depending on the timeframe you've been with them, I'll base this off 5 days .. You cannot review or judge a provider until something goes wrong or hasn't gone wrong for more than 6 months (IMO).

Honestly, when things so south, you'll see their true colours.

I doubt they'll go south as the provider is fairly large. and given what I have experienced as of yet is decent. compared to the experience I have had with other providers. So in my books they deserve a review.

• A five day review though? That's pointless.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@ATHK said:
    A five day review though? That's pointless.

OK what ever you say lol..

We will see in several months when I'll still say the same. I have low expectations when I'm paying cheap prices for services. even if there was other issues I'd not moan because of the price I'm paying.

And again as said previously this provider I think is owned by a Larger company. what can go wrong apart from a Hardware Failure/Switch Failure. if that happens my opinion on this provider won't change. even if there is any network disruptions I would still not complain.

• jmckeag12 said: We will see in several months when I'll still say the same.

What I'm trying to get at .. is .. you won't know until that happens, six months or even a year is a nicer timeframe to do a "review".

This is after all, technology where anything can go wrong.

You wouldn't write a review about a car you've never seen or driven, would you?

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

ATHK said: You wouldn't write a review about a car you've never seen or driven, would you?

I'm not buying a car I'm buying a lowend server that costs less then my monthly rental on my phone. for non critical use I don't care if something goes wrong. I am not buying a psychical item I can never see the server myself can I. Also renting a server is completely different then buying a car. no one would buy a car or review a car without seeing it.

I have been with at least 15 + Providers over the last 12 years and it is rare that I have great experience with a provider within less then 1 hour of using them. Again as per my original response This Provider does not have a MAC Restricted network unlike other providers who are in the same price range. That is Amazing. respond fast to all my tickets. and so far have a solid network. even if it went down I could not give a damnn because I am paying next to nothing for something I'd pay far more elsewhere. I would never trust any provider within the same price range for running something critical that requires uptime.

Also I have used various providers in Germany. such as Netdirect Goweb Leaseweb. and non of them have provided as great of a service as this provider has within a week of using the service. So they deserve a review. when I was with one of them 3 providers won't name who. the Network was going up/down on a daily basis...

• I look forward to your next "review" on this company, weather it's good or bad..

Thanked by 2NexHost sclaeys
  • NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

Bought my second box from Servdiscount and everything is running great :)

Not a bad configuration for 35 Euro a month Including VAT

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2420 0 @ 1.90GHz
     Number of cores : 12
     CPU frequency :  2199.992 MHz
     Total amount of ram : 16005 MB
     Total amount of swap : 15617 MB
     System uptime :   4 days, 4:50,
     Download speed from CacheFly: 60,3MB/s
     Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 6,13MB/s
     Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4,81MB/s
     Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4,50MB/s
     Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 58,0MB/s
     Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 33,5MB/s
     Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5,60MB/s
     Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7,23MB/s
     Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4,17MB/s
     Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8,42MB/s
     I/O speed :  111 MB/s

13:20:20 up 4 days,  4:53,  1 user,  load average: 10,42, 9,78, 9,33

• Honestly and without any hostility - I am also more looking forward to your judgement after several months. Thanks however for your initial impression!

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • server can be installed easily? Someone else wrote that it "almost never works" or similar.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@4n0nx said:
    server can be installed easily? Someone else wrote that it "almost never works" or similar.

Each server I have purchased so far has been delivered within 1-2 hours. Installation is fairly easy. You get a email with a security key giving you 1 time access to the Password. This can be reset when you reinstall the OS.

I have reinstalled multiple times raid-0 and raid-1 and nearly every OS Configuration they offer and have experienced no issues as of yet. They also offer a iKVM that you can lend for 48 hours.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • CryckCryck Member
    edited October 2015

I have been with servdiscount with a slightly different configuration, for a period of 5 months and I can only agree with the "review" of @jmckeag12. I reinstalled the server twice at the beginning (I was experimenting) and never had a problem.

So far 10/10 for their service.

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015

jmckeag12 said: Xeon(R) CPU E5-2420 0 @ 1.90GHz

very slow CPU tho dude.

jmckeag12 said: load average: 10,42, 9,78, 9,33

:O

• @ATHK said:
    A five day review though? That's pointless.

Not at all. Why someone would want to stay with a provider for 6+ months if said provider suck? Just to make a review after 6 months?

"First impressions review" are important as they give you an idea of the company. If for 1 week the provider is slow answering tickets, doesn't properly fix issues, etc. I would prefer to read about it immediately, and not after 1 year.

Thanked by 1NexHost