Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly SSL?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monthly SSL?

Hello.
I was googling for monthly SSL but was not able to find. Can someone help on this please?

Comments

• I don't think that such a thing exists other than the RapidSSL trial that lasts for 30 days...

• WHTWHT Member

@doghouch said:
    I don't think that such a thing exists other than the RapidSSL trial that lasts for 30 days...

Yes there is. I can see some hosts offering a free SSL on monthly plans.

• jhjh Member

When an SSL costs about $4/year, you want a monthly option?

• @WHT said:

So why not use them then?

As if $5/year wasn't cheap, now you want to pay less than 42 cents a month for one.

• WHTWHT Member

@jh said:

No. I want a bigger one that costs $169/year to pay it monthly.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2015

A bigger one eh?

Which $169 certificate do you want? If you just want an EV, get a "Comodo EV Trial" for about $30-40/year, which is a normal EV certificate for one year.

If you want a fancy seal, Norton sell their seal on a monthly basis and you can get the SSL separately.

• Can you get the EV trial multiple times for the same domain?

• jhjh Member

TheOnlyDK said: Can you get the EV trial multiple times for the same domain?

No. That's the whole point. EV certificates need to be "reviewed" every year anyway though so you have to go through the verification every 12 months regardless.

• @jh said:
    No. That's the whole point. EV certificates need to be "reviewed" every year anyway though so you have to go through the verification every 12 months regardless.

I mean after the first year is up, can I buy the trial again for the same domain. All the verification and stuff are not the issue.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

WHT said: Yes there is. I can see some hosts offering a free SSL on monthly plans.

No, there isn't.

The hosts that offer free SSL on monthly plans simply get a yearly certificate. First of all a lot of these "free" SSL are shared so they just have the certificate on the subdomain for your website's temporary URL. When they actually do give you a free certificate, they require (again, in all cases I've seen) you manually activate it with them in which case they tank the cost for the certificate for the year and build that into their price: (1) not everyone will activate it, (2) they're charging enough for that month, (3) they hope you renew.

Again using the same logic, there may be SSL monthly trial that the certificate providers have, hoping you renew for a year.

WHT said: No. I want a bigger one that costs $169/year to pay it monthly.

Most the cost in SSL certificate comes in their one-time costs to verify you. For example I assume the $169 certificate you're talking about is an EV SSL. They have to verify documents and there's lawyers involved when they're offering their guarantees, so that plays into the cost. Then they verify it every year so that's the cost, again, yearly.

-

With the way SSL certificates work it just wouldn't make sense to do monthly. They've have to charge you the bulk of the money the first month and they might as well give you the other months for "free" and make it yearly. So if there was such a thing as monthly SSL, you'd just most likely get ripped off and pay way more.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @jh said:

where which site 4$ year ?

• @Brad said:

link please

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited October 2015

If someone sells SSLs monthly it's more than likely because they're making more money in that month than the SSL costs.

• Impossibruuhhhh

• @Termin said:

Go get GoGetSSL reseller account. Comodo Positive SSL $3.95 only IIRC.

• @jh said:
    A bigger one eh?

Which $169 certificate do you want? If you just want an EV, get a "Comodo EV Trial" for about $30-40/year, which is a normal EV certificate for one year.

If you want a fancy seal, Norton sell their seal on a monthly basis and you can get the SSL separately.

can you please point me to the norton seal?

• Termin said: where which site 4$ year ?

https://hostigation.com/?page=SSL
    $4.99 for a year down to $12.99 for 3 years

• Let's encrypt it? 90 days/3 months per certificate if I'm not wrong. Not really monthly but atleast far from yearly. Quarterly.

• StarSSL has a one year free valid SSL that you can renew every year and is recognized by all the major browsers.

• @miTgiB said:
    $4.99 for a year down to $12.99 for 3 years

is it will be like this ? or not ?

Thanked by 1jh
  • @Termin said:

Yes.

• @Termin said:

Yes, you can get that for free from StartSSL or from https://buy.wosign.com/free

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

TheOnlyDK said: Can you get the EV trial multiple times for the same domain?

EV is designed to expose people who ask these sorts of questions.

Thanked by 1jh
  • @raindog308 said:
    EV is designed to expose people who ask these sorts of questions.

What? I don't think you understood me, and I can't understand you.

I'm asking if I get one in 2015 for my awesomedomain.com andand in 2016 when that cert expires, am I able to get the trail cert for the same domain again or will I must pay for a regular inflated pricing at that time.

• You can, but not from the same CA.

• @William said:
    You can, but not from the same CA.

You are talking to me correct? And AFAIK there's only comodo offering EV trial at $30 a year, I don't think there are any one else that does that. Unless I want to setup domain2015.myawesomedomain.com and next year setup 2016.blahblah, I won't be able to keep getting the $30 EV cert right?

PS I don't own a company, just wanna understand if the trial is really a trial or just a name for a regular cert.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    PS I don't own a company, just wanna understand if the trial is really a trial or just a name for a regular cert.

It's a trial.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • jhjh Member

It's a regular certificate, exactly the same, but only valid for one year. If you're not convinced, I offer loan shark services as well as factual advice.