Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which LEB providers offer dedicated CPU cores? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which LEB providers offer dedicated CPU cores?

2»

Comments

• Traffic said: @AshleyUk ZXhost also has plans with dedicated cores I think

no just threads. same with most.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • sinsin Member

@sandro said:
    I wan't aware that Vultr and DO CPUs were dedicated

VULTR doesn't mind so long as you're not doing stuff like cryptomining

• Don't all the hosts offering dedicated cores, only give you a dedicated thread rather thaan a cpu core?

• sc754 said: Don't all the hosts offering dedicated cores, only give you a dedicated thread rather thaan a cpu core?

unless they are using i5 type cores (no extra threads)

• sc754 said: Don't all the hosts offering dedicated cores, only give you a dedicated thread rather thaan a cpu core?

Yeah they get good CPUs that have 125663467 threads, then advertise "dedicated core" and people buy it >.> it would be best to ask the provider what CPU they use and then check cpubenchmark.net to roughly determine how much you are getting

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    there is no such thing as a cheap dedicated core

Are you saying that the hosts who claim they offer truly dedicated cores for <$7, like Delimiter, are all lying?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited October 2015

Dylan said: Are you saying that the hosts who claim they offer truly dedicated cores for <$7, like Delimiter, are all lying?

He is saying that he doesn't know there are 12-32 core/thread CPUs. Server4you for example uses crappy CPUs with a lot of cores to offer a lot of CPU cores for the kind of people who are also impressed by Gigahertz >3

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Dylan said: Are you saying that the hosts who claim they offer truly dedicated cores for <$7, like Delimiter, are all lying?

Maybe not lying, but not dedicated in the true sense of the word.

An X5650 for example being sold as a dedicated core for $6.50, I don't think $32.50 p/month (5 cores available after host OS) on the whole server on a power hungry CPU in a 5 year old chassis really covers it let alone allows any profit margins but who knows.

And as for server4you, aside from the fact they are not LEB prices which was kind of the point of the whole thread, they are using plesk vServers, not only can you not dedicate cores with that they only say you can use them 100% of the time, that does not mean there is no back end contention management going on and therefor not dedicated

If someone sells you a dedicated hard drive on a VPS, you don't expect other to use your space and IOPS when you don't need them do you, let alone have to contend for them, just because they allow you to use all the space as a maximum use case scenario does not make it dedicated.

Anyhoo buy the sounds of the the OP just wants to run a game server, just get a cheap dedi. :)

• AnthonySmith said: An X5650 for example being sold as a dedicated core for $6.50, I don't think $32.50 p/month (5 cores available after host OS) on the whole server on a power hungry CPU in a 5 year old chassis really covers it let alone allows any profit margins but who knows.

Popcorn time; enter MarkTurner to stage center.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

singsing said: Popcorn time; enter MarkTurner to stage center.

haha, not looking for a fight, just putting my point of view across :)

• Dedicated = Dedicated server :) otherwise do not rely it is 100% dedicated as they are neighbours ...

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited October 2015

AnthonySmith said: An X5650 for example being sold as a dedicated core for $6.50, I don't think $32.50 p/month (5 cores available after host OS) on the whole server on a power hungry CPU in a 5 year old chassis really covers it let alone allows any profit margins but who knows.

Dual X5650 = 12 cores / 24 logical cores/threads. Delimiter's definition of a 'dedicated core' is a dedicated logical core or dedicated thread (note NOT virtual core). We have customers using them for transcoding, some miners, mathematica, minecraft servers.

You can see the server type's Geekbench here http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2988479

Delimiter sells 22 VPS per system which at $6.50/month = $143/month revenue. Its far better revenue than selling the unit as a dedicated server.

This should help explain:

http://i.imgur.com/M4ndfBT.png

Thats a screenshot from one of the servers provided dedicated cores, you can see the second VPS on there, 99% utilisation. Its been like that about 3 weeks.

• MarkTurner said: Delimiter's definition of a 'dedicated core' is a dedicated logical core or dedicated thread…

Frankly speaking, I thought you sell exactly dedicated cores (physical ones), as your sig says, and not hyper threads.

MarkTurner said: Delimiter sells 22 VPS per system which at $6.50/month = $143/month revenue. Its far better revenue than selling the unit as a dedicated server.

Yep, Volumedrive sell Dual X5650, 48GB RAM, 250GB SSD for $48, for example :)

• MarkTurner said: Delimiter's definition of a 'dedicated core' is a dedicated logical core or dedicated thread (note NOT virtual core).

Uh oh ... that's some serious misrepresentation IMHO. It doesn't say that on your order page. In fact, your order page clearly says "1 core". If I'm buying a "dedicated core", and furthermore the order page says "1 core", then, well, I have a reasonable expectation that that means I get "1 core" to myself, right?

You really ought to make Delimiter's definition of "dedicated core" clearer for buyers, or sell it as a "dedicated register bank", which is all that HT is.

MarkTurner said: Its far better revenue than selling the unit as a dedicated server.

Really? There's money to be made in VPS by misrepresenting available compute cycles to buyers? Who'd'a' thunk it?

@MarkTurner said:
    Thats a screenshot from one of the servers provided dedicated cores, you can see the second VPS on there, 99% utilisation. Its been like that about 3 weeks.

Are they running Xen with cpu pinning, and is that virtualizor your using?

Anyway it's not dedicated then as I said, a dedicated core on that cpu = 2 threads, don't get me wrong it's as good as, certainly fine for the OP but it's not truly dedicated.

Thanked by 2bersy vRozenSch00n
  • Maybe I should change the question to "who offers usage of a core/thread without fair share use so that you can you stress it without being kicked out?"

Thanked by 1Lee

sandro said: Maybe I should change the question to "who offers usage of a core/thread without fair share use so that you can you stress it without being kicked out?"

Yep, that makes more sense :) abusive cores with drserver https://drserver.net/abusive-cores

Thanked by 1drserver
  • sinsin Member

Quadranet's cloud has dedicated cpu cores

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited October 2015

AnthonySmith said: Are they running Xen with cpu pinning, and is that virtualizor your using?

KVM with CPU pinning. One logical core/thread per VPS:

VCPU:           0
    CPU: 7
    State: running
    CPU time: 58690.3s
    CPU Affinity: -------y----------------
    Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n sin
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

MarkTurner said: KVM with CPU pinning. One logical core/thread per VPS

Meh, then you have guest program threads, guest OS threads and host QEMU virtual I/O handler threads all contending for one hyperthread, and they must all execute in sequence, twice (once inbound and once outbound), to get the slightest thing done.

And you're not guaranteed any L1 cache that would be assumed to be present on a dedicated core -- your "dedicated peer" could be hogging most of it at any given time.

Meanwhile, most non-"dedicated" providers will let you burst up to all available compute when your software needs it.

• singsing said: Meh, then you have guest program threads, guest OS threads and host QEMU virtual I/O handler threads all contending for one hyperthread, and they must all execute in sequence, twice (once inbound and once outbound), to get the slightest thing done.

Unfortunately thats the nature of single thread/core operation. But performance is still stellar.

Baremetal Dual X5650 server:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2988479

1 Dedicated Core KVM (tested on a heavily loaded box) on same Dual X5650 server:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3785159

Baremetal Single Core: 2117

Dedicated Core KVM: 2150

singsing said: Meanwhile, most non-"dedicated" providers will let you burst up to all available compute when your software needs it.

But then many/most non-dedicated providers oversell so heavily that there is no slack CPU time or at best you're playing tug of war with another neighbor running Minecraft who during his/her peak hours suddenly swamps the 'virtual' CPU.

I make this observation from the dozens of VPS providers we have acquired over the years. Their marketing says no-overselling, but when you get access to their nodes its a completely other story.

• MarkTurner said: and your dedicated storage

So 24/7 hammering the I/O is okay?

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

MarkTurner said: Unfortunately thats the nature of single thread/core operation.

It's the nature of single thread operation no doubt. But not necessarily the "nature" of single core operation on processors that have HT.

MarkTurner said: Baremetal
    Single Core: 2117
    Dedicated Core KVM: 2150

Measured when the "other" "dedicated core" (i.e., HT thread) was idle no doubt.

Plus, lack of any control over L1 and code cache consumption is probably a bigger problem than the compute cycles themselves. If the other guy sharing your "dedicated" core has taken over most of L1, your "thread" is going to stall on lots of memory accesses and will take a long time to load up its needed working memory.

MarkTurner said: I make this observation from the dozens of VPS providers we have acquired over the years. Their marketing says no-overselling, but when you get access to their nodes its a completely other story.

Well, spreading FUD about the competition is an excellent way to defend shady business practices.

If you're sure you're not benefiting from deception, why don't you just sell its as guaranteed 2:1 core ratio or dedicated hyperthread already?

• singsing said: Measured when the "other" "dedicated core" (i.e., HT thread) was idle no doubt.

Looking at the other thread it has a continual load of 40-50%. This VPS was actually my personal VPS not a 'staged' VPS.

singsing said: Well, spreading FUD about the competition is an excellent way to defend shady business practices.

This is not 'FUD' its a statement of fact and based on personal experience of taking over 'reputable' providers who state clearly they dont oversell. Just marketing talk like saying 'Unlimited bandwidth', its just nonsense.

In order for many of these deals to work, overselling has to take place. You should know better, overselling is just endemic of the industry.

During the OpenVZ 'bug' which allowed users to see the number of containers running on the server there were some real eye-opening moments. Suddenly the assurances of some providers that they don't oversell were laid bare. Like E3's with 40 x 1GB containers running on them with the ever critical marketing statement - 'No Overselling'. Clearly embarrassing for all those providers who get caught with their pants down.

Irrespective of other players, these VPS provide dedicated resources. The customer can use them as needed without any fear of suspension or resource starvation.

Thanked by 1vimalware