Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wasn't there more users before (LET v2)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wasn't there more users before (LET v2)?

bobinfobobinfo Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hey.

I used to hang out on leb 2 I think (Q&A) and well, i feel like there was more users. Now it seems that it's mainly providers hanging around there and only a few of them.

Am I right?

Are there some simple users hanging around? Wasn't there more 'simple users' before?

Comments

• Its the life-cycle of many privately initiated projects. They are "taken over" by commercial entities. Then some new privately initiated projects comes up etc.

• ...company-affiliated users have been members from the get-go. Just because we're involved with a company doesn't mean we can't participate in an active community. I don't quite see this takeover of yours <_<

• @kylix said: Its the life-cycle of many privately initiated projects. They are "taken over" by commercial entities. Then some new privately initiated projects comes up etc.

You are probably right...

@Aldryic said: ...company-affiliated users have been members from the get-go.

Yeah, but I feel like there were more 'other people'.... either 'commercial entitied' were more discreet? less noizy? other people were more active? or I just had... a mirage? (That's why I posted, to see if other had the same feeling?)

• Not really.

I think its just because its more forums rather then Q&A.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The votes draw in a lot of new blood but since there's no votes going on, the forums are mostly for people that remember.

There was a lot more drama on v2 anyways, namely with clubfailtime and such.

Francisco

• I do remember quite a few more folks before.. but then again, how many of them were simply "regulars"/trolls in sales or complaint posts? I could name a handful off the top of my head that would -only- show up to post if their buddies called them up to help flame/troll a provider.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

No, simply more are simple people, cough and still. providers are just minority but have much more knowledge unlike beginners who doesn't input much for same reason.

• @Go59954 said: No, simply more are simple people, cough and still. providers are just minority but have much more knowledge unlike beginners who doesn't input much for same reason.

Yeah, I guess that can be the point. Beginners won't have much to say, and/or won't spend the whole day behing their screens. So it seems like it's taken over, but in fact the begginers are still here, but hidden somewhere.

@Francisco said: The votes draw in a lot of new blood but since there's no votes going on, the forums are mostly for people that remember.

Sounds plausible too. The vote things did seem quite addictive for some people on the v2

• daimonbdaimonb Member
    edited November 2011

ok so lets put to a vote provider or user ill post in off topic section and lets have a look at response.

edit: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/655/are-u-a-provider-or-user

• @daimonb said: ok so lets put to a vote provider or user ill post in off topic section and lets have a look at response.

I would say most of us are both even though i keep my own time and business life seperate.

• Some of us like to lurk.

• Some of us like to observed.

• some like "kristal" like to troll =x

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited November 2011

@bobinfo said: Are there some simple users hanging around? Wasn't there more 'simple users' before?

Not sure what you mean by 'simple users' :-)

But yes, truly, I remember my first feeling when I came around: a community of users trying to improve/update/share their knowledge, their solution(s)... That part clearly faded away. But maybe was it simply around LEA "first" scripts - which were the reason I found all of you :-)

• I see more people now than before

• Who cares about the amount of people. Quantity != Quality

• fanfan Veteran

The badge function in OSQA is quite addictive and people tend to flood the QA board with useless replies. I feel a lot more comfortable not since I no longer need to scan through a long list of replies without a regular order. :P

• You'll see more people at near LEB poll time ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@circus said: You'll see more people at near LEB poll time ;)

"people"

Francisco

• Its not our fault (Providers) that we are more active members than you lot :P
    What do you expect when where sat at a terminal all day long..

• melfmelf Member
    edited November 2011

@bobinfo said: but in fact the begginers are still here, but hidden somewhere.[/]

Yup, the beginner shown up now, I learnt many valuables here.