Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which company introduce word 'Cloud' ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which company introduce word 'Cloud' ?

flopvflopv Member
edited October 2015 in General

Out of curiosity, Which company introduce word 'Cloud' for marketing purpose.

Many users around the world are confused.

In addition, Difference Between VPS and Cloud Servers?

If both are same, why companies are fooling customers.
If both are different, How normal user can differentiate between them.

Comments

• God Ltd, a few thousand years ago, with its CEO living in the cloud.

Thanked by 1flopv
  • wychwych Member
    edited October 2015

Different people have different definitions of a "cloud", then the marketing dept's overused it.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015

the word cloud is simply a marketing term, nothing else

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

One time I had someone ask me to explain "the cloud" and "how they put the stuff in the sky," so I just went ahead and nodded as she answered her own question and told me they fly it in balloons or something.

I wonder if she's figured it out and thinks I'm the dumb one now or if she has confidence in me and has spread the idea that they fly around the servers - or magic.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2015

flopv said: Which company introduce word 'Cloud' for marketing purpose.

Compaq introduced the term, but Google popularized it.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/425970/who-coined-cloud-computing/

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

Another question would be which companies refuse to use that misleading overused word. A lot of people use it just because. Even if they are just hosting VPS servers.

• flopv said: In addition, Difference Between VPS and Cloud Servers?

Some say that VPS = virtual server on a single machine while Cloud = VPS with High Availability.

I think that the term is now most generally used as marketing term for everything that's not in your computer.

• datatalk said: I think that the term is now most generally used as marketing term for everything that's not in your computer.

Yeah. They let you spin up a VPS with 1 click and call it "cloud". Might be a good rule to ignore any provider with "cloud" in the name or advertisement. ;D

• Anything on the internet is 'cloud'.

Cloud IAAS, PAAS, SAAS, all have their own definitions (NIST and others) which are generally accepted.

Bear in mind Google, Amazon, etc popularized 'cloud' (in the IAAS space) - as a way of 'selling' VPS to their customers...

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Cloud means higher reliability and more redundancy your average VPS from what I've heard but its also a marketing term because some companies use it to sell their regular VPS

Yeah thats a strong point @dediserve

• It's funny how the WHT and LET definition of cloud, is at odds with the larger industry.

The 'leaders' - AWS, Rackspace, even Digital Ocean, call their VPS (single instance hypervisors with local storage and zero failover) "Cloud"

• Cloud was used a lot earlier than for computing, it was used in Frame Relay, SMDS, ATM discussions. I think even X25 referred to its core as a cloud.

• Cocacola maybe?

Santa Cloud

• I guess it's Cisco for their diagrams using clouds to denote internet.

• LeeLee Veteran

dediserve said: The 'leaders' - AWS, Rackspace, even Digital Ocean, call their VPS (single instance hypervisors with local storage and zero failover) "Cloud"

Most of their customers believe that is cloud, are they wrong? No, I can pretty much guarantee that if you poll the general consumer asking them to point to a cloud service it will be a single instance provider with no failover. It;s the popularised view and therefore the accepted view of the majority.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Yes, I would like to have a McCloud with sauce please

• armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

Actually, cloud means lots of things, shared storage, lots of servers and an orchestrator or a cloud management interface.

All combined together to provide companies with hardware independence, high availability, flexibility and scalability. And of course most cloud provider are not really selling cloud!

• It's only going to get worse with the new WHMCS order forms.

• Term 'Cloud' normally implies higher availability and easier scalability than that of traditional VPS. However, there's a bunch of providers who abuse the term meaning and use it for marketing purpose only.

• SSDBlaze said: Cloud means higher reliability and more redundancy your average VPS from what I've heard

No it's not, that would be a HA Cloud.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

To me Cloud means data can be deployed on different servers in different places without switching company.

• Someone who thought it sounded better then SkyNet.

• Back in the 90s the Internet (or any network leg(s) where the topology between the entry and exit points didn't matter from the PoV of the current discussion) was represented by a cloud to mean "the bit we don't control". You'd see network diagrams where both ends had marked hosts and links between them, connected by a link that went through the "cloud". I don't remember it being referred to as the cloud back then though, we'd always call it "the public network" or "the uncontrolled network" - so I think the symbol is much older than the marketing term which has found common use these days because the public network is now more than the connecting tissue between your hosts or your's ad your client's, as we now store data and perform processing in parts of the infrastructure that we don't directly control.