Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo 42U Cabinet Special for Hurricane Electric Customers in Fermont,CA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo 42U Cabinet Special for Hurricane Electric Customers in Fermont,CA

simonindiasimonindia Member
edited October 2015 in General

I have just received mail regarding this i haven't colo any server in US is this a good deal

Colocation Cabinet Special for Hurricane Electric Customers and Users

Thank you for being a Hurricane Electric Customer or User.

In celebration of passing the 100 exchange point and 4000 connected networks mark Hurricane Electric is offering existing customers and users a Full 42U cabinet in our data center in Fremont, California, US with 15 amp 120 volt power and 1 Gbps on gige Internet bandwidth for $400/month total. (Limit one per customer.)

Thanked by 1aggressivenetworks
Colo 42U Cabinet Special for Hurricane Electric Customers
  1. Is this a Good deal for Colocation of servers43 votes
    1. Yes,but there are other very good deals
      37.21%
    2. No this is Bull shit
      16.28%
    3. HE network is not reliable
      25.58%
    4. HE DC is not the best
        6.98%
    5. Price is too high
      13.95%

Comments

• Where can I get this?

• What's the point of having a whole 42U cabinet with just 1440 Watts available to it?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    What's the point of having a whole 42U cabinet with just 1440 Watts available to it?

For only $400/month it's decent. I imagine it's to get people to upgrade power later, don't they have heaps of space there?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Space is cheap, power isn't. And then of course there is the HE network... Good luck.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

rds100 said: What's the point of having a whole 42U cabinet with just 1440 Watts available to it?

The point is they're individually locked. They have few enough customers that they can give each a full cabinet ...

From my investigations, other carriers in these data centers will quote rather high for bandwidth, so you're basically stuck with HE network.

These data centers also have a history of power outages that are more frequent and of longer duration than the industry average.

http://www.tellusventure.com/blog/tag/hurricane-electric/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1926368

Apparently, HE believes in backup power, but not in N+1.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Space is cheap, power isn't. And then of course there is the HE network... Good luck.

And of course there is HE's power stability**

FTFY.

Francisco

• @jbiloh said:

Still better than CC Buffalo?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, you get what you pay for. For some low end, non critical, very tight budget it's probably OK though.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Jonchun said:
    Still better than CC Buffalo?

No.

• @jbiloh said:
    No.

Do you price beat?

• @PetaByet said:
    Do you price beat?

NOT ON THE PREMIUM BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO NETWORKZ. DIS PREMIUM U HEAR?

Thanked by 2Riz FredQc
  • @0xdragon said:
    Where can I get this?

I got the mail with the link with

• rds100 said: What's the point of having a whole 42U cabinet with just 1440 Watts available to it?

Yea, 36W per U is pretty pointless.... barely enough for an Atom.

Francisco said: And of course there is HE's power stability**

IIRC this is Fremont 1, not Fremont 2. I've never seen it fail as horrible as before again (i.e. A+B) though since like 2012.

Jonchun said: Still better than CC Buffalo?

Depending on destination: Yes, HE beats out CCs BUF mix, i never faced the same slow speed problems to many EU networks (as proven in the recent CC thread here by me and others, including drserver) with Linode in FMT2 on singlehomed HE.

• @william

What about He connectivity to Asia

for hosting some non critical stuff

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

William said: Yea, 36W per U is pretty pointless.... barely enough for an Atom.

But what if you use some U for a switch, and a UPS?

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited October 2015

@netomx said:

Sorry i haven't colocated servers in US is UPS allowed in cabinet if so i can ask HE to get one more socket for power 15 amp 120 V

UPS Like this one http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua2200rmi2u&ISOCountryCode=us

• netomx said: But what if you use some U for a switch, and a UPS?

I already calculated with 40U instead of 42.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

William said: IIRC this is Fremont 1, not Fremont 2.

Special is in Fremont 2 according to the special.pdf file.

@William said:

Master!

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Well, it's a nice offer, but I think they could offer a little more connection speed as a "promotion"

For example, we're offering a 60U rack (48 U main + 12 U on sides) with a full 10 Gbps Guaranteed connection for only 660 EUR ... and they offer only 1 Gbps for this 42 U rack ...

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited October 2015

@Andreix said:
    Well, it's a nice offer, but I think they could offer a little more connection speed as a "promotion"

For example, we're offering a 60U rack (48 U main + 12 U on sides) with a full 10 Gbps Guaranteed connection for only 660 EUR ... and they offer only 1 Gbps for this 42 U rack ...

your offer is in Romania

Can your offer this is any other loactions

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@simonindia said:
    Can your offer this is any other loactions

Unfortunately not. Our collocation offer is limited to Romania for the moment.

@netomx said:

Switch doesn't use power?

@Clouvider said:
    Switch doesn't use power?

I suppose that it will use much less than a server?

@netomx said:
    I suppose that it will use much less than a server?

Depends on the switch or in the server. You'd be surprised how much can a proper switch draw.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Lol at 14kw h 200 pound 4u to 8u Switches

• Maybe it wasn't that much but saw it at dslreports

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Andreix said: full 10 Gbps Guaranteed connection for only 660 EUR

All it takes is one customer using this for transit and you get $10k of losses per customer/month.

HE datacenter/network is mostly crap, but at least they can deliver the gbps.

Edit: looks like your upstream is M247? Considering their congestion to a lot of destinations, it's pretty difficult to believe you could reasonably deliver those 10 gpbs.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited October 2015

@cmsjr123 said:
    Lol at 14kw h 200 pound 4u to 8u Switches

This switch pulls around 10amps with 384x 1 gigabit ports :-0 https://www.facebook.com/Incero/videos/vb.259717217401213/1029405663765694/?type=2&theater

Anyway, I like the HE.net network for peering, they have an awesome peering policy.

• the hell O.o

384 what must be feeding that unless thats a internal switch but still DANG>>>.