Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to withdraw bgp route?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to withdraw bgp route?

So, I wanted to withdraw a route that is going out through a BGP session. I am using Quagga bgpd. This is just an experimental setup for now, not production.

Not knowing how to do this, and not finding relevant info with a simple web search, I simply removed the "network" line and restarted Quagga. I checked using some of the looking glass servers https://www.us.ntt.net/support/looking-glass/, but the route was still up. So, apparently, that's not the way it's done.

Then I just decided to brute-force it, and killed bgpd. Problem is, some 1/2hr later, the route is still out there in looking glass servers, and I can even still ping the host.

Shouldn't the routes be withdrawn automatically based on the keepalive timer?

Regardless of that, what's the correct way to withdraw a route?

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Try

show ip bgp neigbor YOURIP advertised-routes

Update upstream with

clear ip bgp UPSTREAMIP soft out

Withdraw announcement with

no network A.B.C.D/24

Shutdown upstream session with

neighbor UPSTREAMIP shutdown

Edit: above you will find few useful commands

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

Are you announcing the route on your ASN or is your provider announcing it?

• gbshouse said: Edit: above you will find few useful commands

Ok, will experiment with some of these. Though I'm suspecting at this point that the upstream isn't using the BGP session at all and is instead simply announcing my range from their BGP directly ...

• singsing said: simply announcing my range from their BGP directly

What is the AS path, that will be a dead giveaway.

• miTgiB said: What is the AS path, that will be a dead giveaway.

The way it shows on the looking glass servers is my AS is not in, it terminates at the upstream.

• StealthyHosting said: Are you announcing the route on your ASN or is your provider announcing it?

My understanding is the former is supposed to be happening here ^_^

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Ok, so I restored bgpd config for announcing the range, verified with show ipv6 bgp neighbors upstream advertised-routes and issued

enable configure terminal router bgp myasn address-family ipv6 no network myipv6 quit quit quit

in the VTY and checked that the ipv6 space left the list of advertised routes with another show ipv6 bgp neighbors upstream advertised-routes. No effect from all this.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Do keep in mind before you announce any prefix you will need to tell your provider(s) that this is what you plan to do. Most likely they have a prefix filter for your connection that discards any route received.

Once you can confirm they are receiving the route from you, you can have them remove their announcement so that yours from your AS is the only route and can be removed when you remove it.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

StealthyHosting said: Do keep in mind before you announce any prefix you will need to tell your provider(s) that this is what you plan to do. Most likely they have a prefix filter for your connection that discards any route received.

Once you can confirm they are receiving the route from you, you can have them remove their announcement so that yours from your AS is the only route and can be removed when you remove it.

Well, it was agreed from the start that BGP session would be what was happening. There was never a stage at which they told me "you know what, it'll be simpler for us if we just announce it for you directly, is that ok?". But it was a lowendprice for VPS with BGP session, so I reckon I'm only entitled to be lowendbummed about this ;) I just hope they can drop the announce sometime soon as I only have two IPv6 /48s to play with in total.

• singsing said: I just hope they can drop the announce sometime soon as I only have two IPv6 /48s to play with in total.

Acquire more then :)