Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do providers generally get leb hardware?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do providers generally get leb hardware?

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited December 2012 in General

By this I mean really old cpus (sempron, cheaper atoms, etc)?

Not that I'm trying to sell a service, just for a personal lan project : |

Comments

• Craiglist and ebay sounds like the best resource.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Usually you can email various data centers to ask if they got any unused that they can make an offer on. For example WholeSaleInternet.net a while back had a Sempron 1Ghz with 1GB ram and 80GB HDD for around 15$ a month (and it was 25 if you wanted to bump that up to a second 80GB HDD). I had that one til I no longer needed it.

So yea sometimes they just happen to have a machine that they're not currently leasing and want to make some money off it. Just a matter of asking around.

Unless you're not looking to lease but rather own physically.

• looking rite now

@kbeezie said: Usually you can email various data centers to ask if they got any unused that they can make an offer on. For example WholeSaleInternet.net a while back had a Sempron 1Ghz with 1GB ram and 80GB HDD for around 15$ a month (and it was 25 if you wanted to bump that up to a second 80GB HDD). I had that one til I no longer needed it.

As in, I'm trying to buy them to take them home : |

• List the kind of hardware you need and let the community feed you some help.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited December 2012

@darknessends said: List the kind of hardware you need and let the community feed you some help.

Any crap tier cpu (if passmark terms anything thats around 400-600 points).
    For the disk, it doesn't matter really, 20-100gb idc there, not even if it's ide.
    1--3gb ram.

I'd really love it if it supported pci gpus

I'm trying to buy up to 6 of these.

Laptops are ok too, even if it's a pentium 4 clocked @ 1.2ghz

Cases aren't needed.

• You could find E5420s for $20/per a few days ago on Ebay, do note that these things eat power like sharks <.<'

• Does this makes you happy if you want to buy hardware ? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4951647&CatId=2628

If you want to rent servers, do tell me.

• 1 thing I wanted to ask, are you planning to colocate these servers?

• He mentions that they're for a 'personal lan project'

Come on guys, this isn't WHT. Read it a bit before responding :P

• @Wintereise said: He mentions that they're for a 'personal lan project'

Come on guys, this isn't WHT. Read it a bit before responding :P

My reason for asking actually was, If op is not planning to colocate, any old computers/laptops would do the task.

• @skirtTight said: skirtTight 12:24PM Flag

@darknessends said: List the kind of hardware you need and let the community feed you some help.

Any crap tier cpu (if passmark terms anything thats around 400-600 points).

For the disk, it doesn't matter really, 20-100gb idc there, not even if it's ide.
    1--3gb ram.

I'd really love it if it supported pci gpus

I'm trying to buy up to 6 of these.

Laptops are ok too, even if it's a pentium 4 clocked @ 1.2ghz

Cases aren't needed.

I think he ll be done with the tigerdirect hardware.

• @Wintereise said: You could find E5420s for $20/per a few days ago on Ebay, do note that these things eat power like sharks <.<'

WAIT YOU'RE SRS?

@darknessends said: I think he ll be done with the tigerdirect hardware.

Too much, I don't need that much disk/case/cpu/ram per instance

• But if you get that much is that a problem? Or do u want to lower the price even ??

• @darknessends said: But if you get that much is that a problem? Or do u want to lower the price even ??

Cheaper, a single instance won't do, specs doesn't really matter really.

• I think the other one posted suits you. right ??

• @darknessends said: I think the other one posted suits you. right ??

really close ;>

• @skirtTight said: Cheaper, a single instance won't do, specs doesn't really matter really.

Course these days trying to get something even smaller than the norm, tends to be more expensive, so sometimes getting more than you need ends up being cheaper when the ram/hdd specs aren't as common anymore.

• @kbeezie said: Course these days trying to get something even smaller than the norm, tends to be more expensive, so sometimes getting more than you need ends up being cheaper when the ram/hdd specs aren't as common anymore.

we're playing quake/halo ce on our lan, every weekend : >
    then during normal weekdays we tend to run terraria/mc servers all over : |

Guess ill go for a pi then : |

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited December 2012

@skirtTight Yes, cheapest I can find now seems to be $39 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-EU80574KJ060N-Xeon-Quad-Core-E5420-1333MHz-12MB-L2-Cache-Socket-/370706538670?pt=CPUs&hash=item564fd4e0ae

Friend picked up 3 at $20 each from ebay, not sure from whom. I can try asking him if you want.

• @Wintereise said: Wintereise 2:59PM Flag

@skirtTight Yes, cheapest I can find now seems to be $39 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-EU80574KJ060N-Xeon-Quad-Core-E5420-1333MHz-12MB-L2-Cache-Socket-/370706538670?pt=CPUs&hash=item564fd4e0ae

Friend picked up 3 at $20 each from ebay, not sure whom. I can try asking him if you want.

He is not asking for only processor !!!

• Yes, neither is he asking you to respond in his behalf.

He seemed interested in the $20 deal I talked about, and I'm giving him info towards that. I don't see how your reply is warranted <_<'

• providers
    leb hardware

?

• All my equipment come from eBay, and collecting from people selling on Gumtree.

You can get some good deals from gumtree, eBay is too mainstream these days so you rarely ever get a bargain.

• @Jacob said: You can get some good deals from gumtree, eBay is too mainstream these days so you rarely ever get a bargain.

eBay owns Gumtree

• @Jacob said: You can get some good deals from gumtree, eBay is too mainstream these days so you rarely ever get a bargain.

this, and most of the time it's cheaper to buy it from newegg/tigerdirect lately

• @Wintereise said: You could find E5420s for $20/per a few days ago on Ebay, do note that these things eat power like sharks <.<'

Sharks eat power?

• @eastonch said: Sharks eat power?

Yep, then they die. :(

• @skirtTight I have an old tower sitting right next to me that I did use as a home server multiple times. Pentium 4 2.50Ghz, 1GB DDR Ram, 120GB SATA HDD CD/DVD R Drive. If interested, PM me. :)