Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 name server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 name server

I have a few name servers for my dns system. Let's say they are ns1.example.com, ns2.example.com. Previously they all resolved to IPv4 addresses. Now I'm planning to implement IPv6 for my dns system. So should I reuse ns1, ns2 for IPv6 name servers? Or should I change them to something different to avoid conflict? Thanks.

Comments

• Use the same.

• emreemre Member, LIR

there will be no confliction. you can use them as it is.

ns1.blabla.com 12.34.56.78

ns1.blabla.com 2a03:baba:b00b:dead:deaf:666

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    Use the same.

Thanks @Hidden_Refuge. If I use the same name, I got a problem when I set the glue records in my dns domain's registrar, Godaddy in my case. When I enter the same host name for IPv4 and IPv6 glue records, Godaddy says they don't allow duplicate host name for glue record.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

IPv6 is AAAA instead of A. Should be no issue to have multiple records for one domain/sub domain. Just nslookup google.com and it has tons of As and AAAAs.

GoDaddy sucks.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Hidden_Refuge said: IPv6 is AAAA instead if A.

This is your answer :)

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    IPv6 is AAAA instead if A. Should be no issue to have multiple records for one domain/sub domain. Just nslookup google.com and it has tons of As and AAAAs.

GoDaddy sucks.

I see. Thanks. So does the hostname for glue record have to be the same as the AAAA name?

• The domain is ns1.domain.com, record type is AAAA and the IP is the IPv6 of your server.

• elgselgs Member
    edited October 2015

@ratherbak3d said:

I set A and AAAA respectively for ns1 and ns2. Do the glue records have to be both IPv4 and IPv6?

• @elgs You can add multiple IP's for each host on GoDaddy's control panel.

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    elgs You can add multiple IP's for each host on GoDaddy's control panel.

Thank you so much!!! I will try again.

• @VPSSoldiers it works now. It looks like I cannot edit another glue record to share the same name as an existing one. But I can add new IP addresses for the existing one. Thank you for reminding.

Thanked by 1VPSSoldiers