Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Renting and Announcing IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Renting and Announcing IPs

Hi, I'm looking into renting an 2 ip blocks of /24 and announcing them on a VPS provider I work with.

The VPS provider says : Are you referring to SWIP or BGP? We do not announce customer IPs with separate BGP sessions if that helps.

Is it possible to rent and announce IPs with this VPS provider ?

Thanks

Comments

• @minimald said:
    Hi, I'm looking into renting an 2 ip blocks of /24 and announcing them on a VPS provider I work with.

The VPS provider says : Are you referring to SWIP or BGP? We do not announce customer IPs with separate BGP sessions if that helps.

Is it possible to rent and announce IPs with this VPS provider ?

Thanks

No, it is not. They clearly do not support announcing a customer's (you) IPs on their BGP sessions.

• @minimald said:

>

I think youd struggle any VPS provider allowing you to do this, as would require your IP Space being assigned to the node your VM is held on their network which is a shared environment.

Also they would probably question why you need 2 x /24 on a VPS.

• /23 on a VPS. That raises eyebrows on a dedicated.

• minimaldminimald Member
    edited October 2015

It's still a 4 cores 8GB ram with a 5TB traffic VPS, Which is around the specs I need for load-balancing an https project.

If it's VPS providers are so limited, I'll probably just deal with Amazon AWS..

But I still don't understand why they would not support announcing customers IPs on their BGP sessions ? Any valid reason ?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Not all providers have own BGP setup, sometimes it's just a block routed to dedicated server by DC/ISP

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

minimald said: Which is around the specs I need for load-balancing an https project.

HTTPS supports SNI, you are wasting IPs.

minimald said: If it's VPS providers are so limited, I'll probably just deal with Amazon AWS..

AWS will not announce you IPs without direct connect and enterprise support.

minimald said: But I still don't understand why they would not support announcing customers IPs on their BGP sessions ? Any valid reason ?

No BGP with upstream (static routes of own blocks or rented IPs) - Setup work (at least half an hour) - Continuing work (monitoring for BGP drops and filters) - Setup work required in VPS system, if even possible (add new block and assign to single VPS/customer, takes at least an hour per /24 with SolusVM)

Makes zero sense without longer commitment and especially on a VPS.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

We allow customers to announce IPs over our network, if you are interested in moving provider?

All IPs would also benefit from our DDoS protection.