Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are those terms meaning?? PPP/TUN/TAP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are those terms meaning?? PPP/TUN/TAP

I see these abbreviation frequently in any VPS offer that says PPP/TUN/TAP/VPN allowed or not allowed. I am kind of new in networking, I only familiar with VPN ( Virtual Private Network) but I don't know meaning of other.

PPP ?
TUN ?
TAP ?

Do you think is there any other abbreviation those related to vps those I need to know? :) Thanks in advance.

Thanked by 1Lee

Comments

• PPP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol

TUN/TAP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP

PPP and TUN/TAP are different technologies for VPNs.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Specifically, on OpenVZ VPSes, you need either of these to be enabled (as a kernel module), to be able to set up a VPN on them.

Thanked by 2handyhost ali71
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

TUN/TAP devices are virtual network interfaces. Packets that the kernel would send through the TUN/TAP can be read by a controller program. The controller program can also write packets to it, which the kernel treats as entering from the virtual network interface. "Normal" programs don't know that there is anything special about connections that go through a TUN/TAP. Depending on what the controller program does, all kinds of cool stuff can be done with TUN/TAP. OpenVPN, for example, encrypts and authenticates all packets so you can connect machines at different locations together as if on a LAN without giving up confidentiality and security. Of course, it must be arranged for OpenVPN's own connections not to go through the TUN/TAP device it is controlling.

Thanked by 1ali71
  • Thank you All. Really appreciated your help :)

• TUN simulates a network layer device and it operates with layer 3 packets like IP packets. TAP simulates a link layer device and it operates with layer 2 packets like Ethernet frames. TUN is used with routing, while TAP is used for creating a network bridge.

• PPP: Pay Per Parcel

TUN: International code for Tunisia

TAP: Tonal Activation Probe

Thanked by 1yhuza