Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with the VPS line from contabo.de?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any experience with the VPS line from contabo.de?

Hello there,

I have to set up dedicated hosting for a company as their current hosting provider has been hacked (1blu.de) and the hacker threatened to release customer data to the public.

Now my job is to find an adequate and cheap hosting solution for mail and webhosting stuff (100% PHP, nothing spectacular but a number of sites).

I've been very satisfied with runabove.com, offering really cheap and reliable instances, though I worry they will shut down the instance hosting as they began moving successful products to the OVH.com site.

Now, alternatively I could use vultr.com, digitalocean.com or whatever, all deliver nearly the same specs, but contabo.de offers 6GB of RAM and 500GB HDD space for a mere 8€/month.

My clients wish is to have a stable hosting, 1blu failed miserable, we had a lot of outages with them.

Has anyone made experiences with the contabo VPS? Have they been unstable at any time? The advantage is that contabo apparently has a good hotline, while digitalocean and vultr just have a ticket system.

I want to step back from shared hosting, this has been nothing but a pain in the ass. At the current provider I could not even look up error logs.

Comments

• @Shigawire said:

i7 920 , DDR2 memory, (NO ECC) , 20mb/s IO sometimes or less

Uptime is fine.

Thats all :)

• Thanks for the info, you two!

So not recommended for a professional hosting environment. I thought so :)

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2015

@Shigawire said:

Rule of thumb - for production use, don't look at price/specs first, but price/[reliability,support].

• elgselgs Member
    edited October 2015

I have been using the same server for 3 months, no major problem found. Their uptime SLA seems to be quite low, 95% or something. But my experience is that their network is quite stable during the 3 months. Their support is extremely good.

• Well, I just don't want to be kicked out for using the resources they actually advertise for.
    And receiving DDoS attacks is nothing we can influence... For the moment I'll stick to another provider.

Thank you :)

• @Shigawire said:
    Well, I just don't want to be kicked out for using the resources they actually advertise for.
    And receiving DDoS attacks is nothing we can influence... For the moment I'll stick to another provider.

Thank you :)

Get a cheap dedi in Europe with DDOS protection but with

8Euro/month you are going no where if you going to use it for Hosting and you expect a DDOS then DDOS protected dedi will help a lot

Just my thoughts and sorry i don't have exp with contabo

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015

they work perfectly fine, there is going to be haters or those who are clueless.

Shigawire said: Well, I just don't want to be kicked out for using the resources they actually advertise for

Not gonna happen, you can use all the resources. they dont have any issue with that.