Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH

I've been looking at OVH for a while now and recently noticed they have a new line of servers to be deployed from 10th October.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little more information on OVH and what kind of SSD's they use, if they're reliable and if you've ever needed them swapped.

As well as information on their BHS network, peers well to the majority of the other networks out there? And their IP addresses generally clean?

I'm thinking of getting this, I don't think I can find anything similar elsewhere.

Intel Xeon D
D-1520
4/8t
2,2 / 2,6 GHz
32 GB of RAM
DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz
3 x300GB of SSD SOFT (would use 2 x OS and the other for dedicated MySQL)
vRack 1 Gbps

$81/month

Not really intending to sell hosting, just host 1 or 2 websites that heavily rely on PHP to generate a few thousand CAPTCHA/day and some other small stuff.

Note: plan on using MXRoute for mailing stuff.

Comments

• Bitmap said: Not really intending to sell hosting, just host 1 or 2 websites that heavily rely on PHP to generate a few thousand CAPTCHA/day and some other small stuff.

Note: plan on using MXRoute for mailing stuff.

And you need a $81 server for that??

also pls don't lock out people with impaired vision by using captchas

Thanked by 2rm_ Nekki
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I had a little discussion about this on another thread here on LowEndTalk.

They use Intel DC Series SSDs. These are old (from 2012) however they are enterprise-grade and have features to prevent data loss as well as "high endurance."

I would definitely say their IPs are generally not clean but it seems like they're working hard to fix that with their new one-time payment charge for IPs and it seems to be working. They're no longer on the Spamhaus Top 10.

I don't think you can get the Xeon D series any cheaper elsewhere. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I have used OVH before with their 3 x 300GB SSD and I was not impressed with the I/O performance. Their 4 x 800GB is definitely the way to go, however, I don't expect you to pay +$131 for that. If you're asking about SSD reliability and having them possibly swapped in case of failure: I would definitely recommend RAID 10.

• @4n0nx said:

Yep, the number of CAPTCHA images we generate per day goes up and down like a yo-yo – in the last 24 hours we have generated 611,318 images.

@VirMach said:

>

Thank you for your post, the D series isn't compulsory, I don't mind the E series (v3 only) – just want something decent, 32GB RAM and some SSD.

• Bitmap said: Yep, the number of CAPTCHA images we generate per day goes up and down like a yo-yo – in the last 24 hours we have generated 611,318 images.

oh ok. I had a very different understanding of "few thousand". OVH is "good", if you don't mind getting lost in the typical support jungle of big companies.

SYS sells a server that's $18 less and has E instead of D and presumably DDR3 instead of 4.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

That's about 7 captcha's per second. A few of OVH's 3 euro vps (the runabove replacement) will probably handle that? Or get rid of it completely with recaptcha?

• 4n0nx said: SYS sells a server that's $18 less and has E instead of D and presumably DDR3 instead of 4.

Just to mention that SYS is the brand of OVH.

Thanked by 14n0nx