Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner LEB - Game Over
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner LEB - Game Over

hostdoghostdog Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

Just posting to let you know that Hetzner's policy to allow only /28 IPv4 subnet per server is actually killing the LEB category of VPS. Any other ISP providing more IPs per server in EU, with the same (or almost the same) specifications and prices?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I'd imagine that getting rid of the LEB hosts was always their goal, as they 1. don't like abuse and 2. already introduced a per-IP cost a while ago.

• Already posted before. Hence why last weekend we moved 5 nodes out of hetzner (~250 containers) to our own equipment in GlobalSwitch where we're able to get a /24 of IP space for 60 Euros ;)

Phil

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Take a look on Polish WHT ... and yes, it's in Polish I'm afraid :)

• @PhilND checking GlobalSwitch

@gbshouse google translate I'm afraid :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hetzner still has IPv6 and that is free and virtually unlimited, so I see no problem here.

• @Maounique said: Hetzner still has IPv6 and that is free and virtually unlimited, so I see no problem here.

Not everyone likes/can use IPv6

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@gubbyte said: Not everyone likes/can use IPv6

I dont think it is a question of personal preference, or, at least, not for long.
    True, many apps/virtualization schemes are not really IPv6 friendly yet, saw that myself lately as I am looking for ipv6 only alternatives and implementations, but it is the future and we must have it at least as a fall-back plan.

• For things like IRC vhosts ipv6 is perfect. For hosting websites... not so perfect, for now.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said: Hetzner still has IPv6 and that is free and virtually unlimited, so I see no problem here.

The problem, for starters, is that the majority of residential ISPs still does not have IPv6 support.

• Indeed, IPv6 is still "beta" for most of the ISPs, at least in Greece.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

So you can't have more than 13 IPs (+gateway) per servers? Is this for all class of servers they have? If it's just for the VPSes etc... why do you need more than 14 IPs?

And yes while native IPv6 is nice and ahead of schedule, for end users it's not very useful to have yet.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited December 2012

You won't see v6 being popular till ARIN runs out of v4 IPs, sad truth.

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited December 2012

@kbeezie because if you do the math you'll see that you can not sell at $7
    We think that about $10 should be the minimum.
    It's more profitable to sell larger VPS that will be more costly for the client.

• this wil kill this market and just got into it it's amasing what I can do with 128 megabytes of ram and debian for dollar a month

• @kbeezie said: So you can't have more than 13 IPs (+gateway) per servers? Is this for all class of servers they have? If it's just for the VPSes etc... why do you need more than 14 IPs?

??? Seriously ? Why would someone not need more VM/machine

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@hostdog said: @kbeezie because if you do the math you'll see that you can not sell at $7

Sell what at $7 ? Is the /28 applies to all their servers, or just their cheapest? No longer able to oversell on Hetzner?

Not like they're the only providers.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@darknessends said: ??? Seriously ? Why would someone not need more VM/machine

What I'm asking is, is /28 global, or just to their cheapest machines/VPSes? And far as why would they not need more? Well if you're overselling a machine that shouldn't have more than 13 separate VPSes on it... then well... But if they're applying that to ALL servers even machines capable of well over 13 VPSes on it, then that's a different story.

PS: IPs are not VM/Machines, they're IP addresses :P

• Yes, they are applying to all over perhaps.
    And hetzner has good nodes of 32 and 64 GB RAM mostly.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@darknessends said: Yes, they are applying to all over perhaps.

And hetzner has good nodes of 32 and 64 GB RAM mostly.

Seems odd, you would think that after you order you could get more IP pending justification from them. Unless they're trying to weed out resellers/small-hosts, especially if you like to give each customer 2+ IPs.

Maybe it's just a sign of IPv4 becoming more scarce, and there's a need to push forth to IPv6.

• @kbeezie We run tests and make sure that all dedicated can make the amount of VPS that we put on them. We also monitor our dedicated servers closely. We do not oversell.
    You'll never run out of disk space or RAM at a lower point of that we have promised.
    We made an offer for 40 VPS. We stopped putting more on the dedicated before even reaching close to this to provide a better quality service even if that means less profit for us.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@hostdog said: @kbeezie We run tests and make sure that all dedicated can make the amount of VPS that we put on them. We also monitor our dedicated servers closely. We do not oversell.

You'll never run out of disk space or RAM at a lower point of that we have promised.
    We made an offer for 40 VPS. We stopped putting more on the dedicated before even reaching close to this to provide a better quality service even if that means less profit for us.

Any particular reason why you're trying to justify yourself to me when I was only talking about IPs? And how many single VPSes you could put on a Box. I made no real mentions of the ram/cpu side, just that some people might be worried about this /28 block limit IF they are overselling, and here you are with a seemingly panic'd response trying to justify yourself to me.

I did state later if they're doing it for ALL servers, that's unfortunate. Since you could probably do 32 single users on a decent dedicated server before maxing out the I/O. Or were we talking about 96, or 128 customers per box?

• @kbeezie Then I misunderstood you previous post. I'm sorry about this.
    Also I'm not paniced. I never do. I'm one of those huys that think there is a solution for almost everything.

I'm quoting Hetzner's response:

you can order maximum one /28 subnet for this server. A /27 subnet we don't longer

offer, for our dedicated servers.

• @hostdog said: you can order maximum one /28 subnet for this server. A /27 subnet we don't longer

offer, for our dedicated servers.

I see... well that sucks (they could improve their english though, but I know they're a German company, just took me a minute to make sure it said what it did).

• LeeLee Veteran

I am sure they know what they are doing, at the end of the day they have a limited resource as far as 4's are concerned, they will no doubt have looked at how long their supply can last and to make it last longer they are taking these steps.

I think I said before that I am sure if you had the choice of selling another 50 servers that required 100 ip's or 5 that required a 100 ip's it's pretty obvious which we would all choose.