Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever heard of "Billic"? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever heard of "Billic"?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

@Billic said:
    Hello,

sorry i meant turning it back into its original source, not what the output was, i should have mentioned that.

Regards,
    Adam

Not a whole lot of context to go off, but it's going to be something that echo's that text. Pirates don't need the source to be 100% identical to the original - they just need it to be readable/understandable enough to remove/change branding, add or remove some features, remove the licensing code, and pack it up and sell or otherwise redistribute it. If that.

This would be a perfectly good decoding result, even if it weren't the original code:

echo "My name is Josh";
  • Also, the obfuscation you use in Billic is really easy to defeat:

<?php
    $file = '[...]';
    $source = file_get_contents($file);
    $tokens = token_get_all($source);

foreach ($tokens as $i => $token) {
        if(isset($token[1]) && $token[1] == "str_rot13") {
            $source = str_replace('str_rot13('.$tokens[$i+2][1].')', str_rot13($tokens[$i+2][1]), $source);
        }
    }
    file_put_contents($file, $source);

Sure, variable names are still random, but when you're doing a code audit, that's just a very small inconvenience, if that.

• BillicBillic Member
    edited November 2015

Hello,

The original source was:

<?php
    $a = 'My ';
    $c = 'is ';
    $d = 'Josh';
    $b = 'name ';

$something_complicated = $a.$b.$c.$d;

echo $something_complicated;
    ?>

We are just considering our options of the best way to deliver our product.

Thank you for your replies however and we will look into this.

Regards,
    Adam W
    Billic.com

• Billic said: The original source was

In other words the original source code was pretty much the result of @vld single function applied to your obfuscated code, only thing different was the variable name, that doesn't really matter too much.

Thanked by 1killswitch
  • BillicBillic Member
    edited November 2015

@Aga said:

Hello,

as i mentioned we are just considering our options of the best way to deliver our product.

Thank you :)

Regards,
    Adam W
    Billic.com

• While I don't agree with some people here (obfuscating your code MIGHT actually keep some people from bypassing your license), please don't try to prove it's not possible, you will fail miserably.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • BillicBillic Member
    edited November 2015

@vedran said:

Hello,

We were not trying to prove anything, we were just getting an idea that is all.

Regards,
    Adam W
    Billic.com

edited November 2015

vedran said: obfuscating your code MIGHT actually keep some people from bypassing your license

Right, but that's the thing. It does keep some people from bypassing licensing. It just isn't the group of people that has any impact on your sales whatsoever. From an economic point of view, it makes absolutely no sense unless you're going for vendor lock-in (in which case all bets are off with regards to "respect for your customers" anyway).

Neither those who crack software for profit, nor those who do it for fun, are going to be deterred by DRM (including obfuscation). The former have the economic incentive as they are the source of commercial piracy, and the latter just find the more complex protections more fun to break (and are the source of non-commercial piracy).

It's not going to reduce piracy in any way, but it's going to harm your actual customers. Economically and ethically, it is absolutely not a good idea. The "protection" provided by DRM is purely theoretical, and fundamentally piracy is a legal problem, not a technical problem.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

They @Billic - @joepie91 does code audit, and he is very good and his prices are very good, you should consider it.

• I think @Billic should reconsider the business model, like what @Aga said earlier, SaaS.

Sell for a one time high price for full premium product, offer subscribed service, and release limited product as open source.

Thanked by 1Aga

@netomx said:
    They Billic - joepie91 does code audit, and he is very good and his prices are very good, you should consider it.

Not for PHP :)

Thanked by 2netomx killswitch
  • joepie91 said: Not for PHP :)

What? You did audited the Z-Pancake :P

edited November 2015

@vRozenSch00n said:
    What? You did audited the Z-Pancake :P

That was hardly an audit. That was quite literally looking at the source code for 10 minutes, deciding "okay, this is a Swiss cheese" and giving up :P

Either way, I've pretty much completely dropped PHP for everything. I primarily do code quality review anyway (rather than explicit security audits), and in that sense, PHP is a bit of a lost cause. The language/ecosystem just does not provide the tools for building well-written applications.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Billic said:
    Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and would like to thank you for your feedback on the matter.
    We have addressed these issues and concerns. We once again apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
    Adam W
    Billic.com

Why don't you talk to this community like a human being, rather than spewing out this corporate nothing speak? You're not a big company - why bother pretending to be one by droning on like this?

Thanked by 44n0nx Aga classy Leechum
  • VPSensational said: rather than spewing out this corporate nothing speak?

I wasn't even sure what inconvenience a broken website would cause us, even apologizing for it twice.