Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtualBox based VPS's ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtualBox based VPS's ?

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited November 2011 in General

Hello,
Well, I had a few questions regarding VirtualBox VM's,

• Can static IP's be assigned for a VM running under VirtualBox ?
  • As far as I know, Memory can't be oversold on VirtualBox, Is this actually true ?
  • If my host OS is 32Bit, I can't run 64 Bit OS's right ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Can static IP's be assigned for a VM running under VirtualBox ? Yes
    As far as I know, Memory can't be oversold on VirtualBox, Is this actually true ? You likely cannot but not too sure.
    If my host OS is 32Bit, I can't run 64 Bit OS's right ? You can. You can also do 64bit on 64bit. But for 64bit guests you need a cpu with virtualization flags (vt-x / vt-d / amd-v?)

But do take note that virtualbox specialization is desktop virtualization or that is intended for gui. Haven't heard of anyone using virtualbox offering for vps selling.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@vampireJ : Thanks for answering :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

virtualbox has terrible linux drivers and is kernel panic heaven.

Francisco

• The new version is a bit better but I don't know about hosting vps's on it. mind you the Sun Oracle VDI base uses it so it can't be to unstable.

• Did some reading on it and it seems windows guests will touch and allocate all available ram but other guests won't.

edited November 2011

@Francisco : Kernel panic = high I/O usage right ? I'm not too sure !

@JustinBoshoff : So if the host machine has 8 GB RAM and I allocate 6 GB to CentOS Guest and 4 GB to Debian Guest, will it actually work ?

• It will until they both try to use more RAM than is available, then it will grind to a halt.

@JustinBoshoff : Thanks for the info ! :D

• No Problem, install it and give it a kick. You might just like it!

edited November 2011

@JustinBoshoff : I have a really old version installed, 3.x I think.. I'll have to update it soon !

• @SpeedBus said: Kernel panic = high I/O usage right ?

What has to do one thing with another? o_O

• @yomero said: What has to do one thing with another? o_O

Not so much but if it helps him sleep at night I guess..........

• danielfengdanielfeng Member
    edited November 2011

One thing I noticed was that VirtualBox has much less features than VMware (both desktop version). For example, some power management features are not supported on VirtualBox, so you won't get a black screen after a while (power saving mode). I guess there are other lacks.

• Hmm depends whats your objective and priority of choosing virtualbox. Take a look at the benchmark, you might think twice running web applications on it.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1110_xenkvm&num=1

• i mainly use virtualbox test installations, configurations, taking snapshots before deploying things to actual bare metal. But never really use virtualbox to actually host and run something other than my freeshell server at home... most of the time it is stable with 120 users having ssh access running all sort of things. The host is using Ubuntu 10.04 and the Guest is an Ubuntu and FreeBSD. The kernel panics tends to happen when you enable I/O function on your storage card option, disable that crap. Performance might degrade abit but it is still better than getting kernel panics.

• Why double post?

And why I need to spam this thread?

Ok to say something, we have discussed this already. isn't suitable for commercial usage.

• @yomero just let say i need to speak my mind out and i forgotten to write it down the first time round so i had to make a second post. Its not like the same post made double =P

@yomero : I thought that kernel panic was caused by high I/O usage ? Just wanted to clarify that :D

• vampireJvampireJ Member
    edited November 2011

I am using ubuntu 64 bit host and usually the latest virtualbox build and extension pack. I have tested xp 32bit, win 7 32 bit (trial) guests.

But I usually use it to test new linux distributions (whether through livecd or actual virtualbox install).

I have not experienced any kernel panic at all whether from host or from guest.

• As others have said, I only use virtualbox for testing/mucking around with different installs.

Although I did setup a remote VB dedi once for the hell of it... Used phpvirtualbox as a remote GUI for starting and stopping a few Windows instances. (Yes it's easy to run via headless, but a GUI is always nice).

http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/

• @Speedbus read up on virtualbox bugs

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2524
    2010-06-13 18:13:58 changed by aeichner

This was actually fixed with 3.2. Make sure to disable the host I/O cache in the controller settings and don't store the image on ext4 because there seems to be some bug in ext4 causing data corruption.

@Adam : phpvirtualbox looks great, I'll give it a test run soon ! Thanks for the share !

@cripperz : Thanks for that ! 3.2 is the version I have installed, I'll upgrade to the latest version, which I think is 4.x ?

• @Speedbus yeap 4.1

@cripperz : Thanks ! Just got it :P