Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streaming Amsterdam - Philadelphia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Streaming Amsterdam - Philadelphia

Hello,

I came across a sweet deal for a dedi in Philadelphia. I am streaming from Amsterdam and the ping is around 110 ms to the test server. I want to stream music to an Icecast server that I am planning to put on that dedicated server. I did not buy the server yet.

Do you think it is possible to do so, or will there problems occur, such as "Unable to send data fast enough" and other drops?

Comments

• music is only 320 kbit/s max and that should not be a problem at all.

<- has listened to radio hosted across the globe 24/7

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2015

Audio and video streaming are buffered services (either flash or html5 content). In those services, there is no thing like "unable to send data fast enough", at least to a decent server with a minimum download speed. It is just your internet connection speed that -in rare conditions- could face issues, if you cannot upload continuously at least 50% over your streaming bitrate.
    So, the answer is, with a DSL line on your end and almost any dedicated server, your streaming service will be problems-free.
    The only thing you have to calculate is what amount of listeners do you expect, what is your bitrate and what is the guaranteed upload speed your server has (e.g. if you can upload to your country, let's say, at least 10Mbps, then, you can server without issues at least 70-80 simultaneously users with a bitrate of 128kbps.
    Check your server upload speeds with the speedtest.net script, choosing an end point in your country:

wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
    chmod +x speedtest-cli

cd speedtest-cli
    ./speedtest-cli --share --server 4045

(4045 is the server from SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. Amsterdam)

Other servers in AM are:
    2855: Ookla (Amsterdam, Netherlands
    951: Networking4all B.V. (Amsterdam, Netherlands
    3386: NFOrce Entertainment B.V. (Amsterdam, Netherlands