Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think if these KVM plans? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys think if these KVM plans?

2»

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique said: You need to prepare for these events.

I like uncle's solution. Higher price for month-to-month, great discount for quarterly, 6mo, yearly. best of both worlds.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Taz said: Show me one who is successful and using desktops.

RAM Host started out with desktop hardware, as far as I know.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: RAM Host started out with desktop hardware, as far as I know.

We use i5 3550 on our OpenVZ line.

Full Node (45 VPS)
    Load Averages - 0.19 0.37 0.45

Anybody that's saying desktop CPU's are useless are just regurgitating what they have read others say, it might have been true a few years back but certainly not now. Most of the Ivy Bridge series are equivalent to Xeon in most ways apart from ECC support.

Unless you have run such set ups in production you cant really comment :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Some of the i7's I have used out bench most of the Xeons others use, its up to personal choice.

The big difference being that when using desktop grade hardware 24x7 just expect a shorter life span on the nodes, the reality is from an end user perspective you really cant tell the difference and at the point at which an end user could then they would be using it to the point they should have a dedi not a VPS anyway.

I understand the reasons behind people not liking desktop CPU's in host nodes but the truth is they bench just as high if you get the right mix, I still have people on i7's that actually don't want to move because they feel so 'snappy'

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I used desktop hardware for full virtualization (Xen-HVM) and the results were disappointing, was struggling for 8 GB ram, however, that was in 2009, things might have changed.

• @AnthonySmith said: Some of the i7's I have used out bench most of the Xeons others use, its up to personal choice.

Probably because a lot of providers here are using 8 year old Xeons.

• Not Leb

@Corey naa, i7's are beasts just not meant for 24x7 operation under load.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

For personal usages, I won't mind desktop hardwares. But when it comes to 24/7, these hardware will fail earlier than expected and at the end of the day, total cost comes to the same when you add labor and hardware replacement cost :)

• @AnthonySmith - I don't know if you saw our repository, but libvirt 1 for CentOS 6 is available :) - even comes with Xen 4.2 support :D

@marcm ooh nice I will have a look.

• @AnthonySmith - Go to http://repo.vpsnodebox.com and install the repo rpm package. You can find additional instructions in this thread: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6358

• Ok guys, the node is online, PM me if you want to try out a server!

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: RAM Host started out with desktop hardware, as far as I know.

Indeed, we still have a few 1st gen i3 530's and 540's chugging along, although all our new servers are Xeons.

• edited December 2012

@ramnet Great to hear, considering how well you guys are doing! Thanks for the input!

We have several OS templates available, PM me to test out a server!